• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quantar voting system setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanuel32804

Hi guys,

I have had my quantar up and running for some time now doing P25, and I'd like to expand its range by adding some receivers and a comparator to do voting. Of course, I don't intend to get leased lines between everything so I've been doing some reading and I want to make sure I have this all right before I purchase anything. Below is my projected setup:

Quantar T5367A RX DB25 v.24 port ---> Cisco HWIC-2T ---> Cisco 2901 ISR ---> IP Tunnel to main site ---> Reverse with an ISR and HWIC with modular adapter to convert DB25 to RJ45 ---> Comparator ---> Existing quantar repeater for TX

Presumably there will be a couple sites for RX only and they will all have a T5367A and Cisco unit there. The ISR at the main site would just have more ports to support as many remote sites as necessary.

I've also been wondering if I need the v.24 daughter board if I intend to use the DB25 on the back. I know that all the quantars would need the wireline card. I'm also assuming that the comparator and the existing quantar can just be connected directly with an RJ45 since they are at the same site, and so at the very least it would need the daughter board.

The other little point of uncertainty is the difference between Astro-Tac 3000 and 9600. I know this is the baud rate of the Astro communications, but does it make a difference for a conventional system?

Last question is regarding the possibility to use this system to also transport serial back to the main site from each remote site in order to remotely program the units via RSS. Each remote site would have the HWIC-2t, which has 2 ports. Is my understanding correct that these types of ports are the same rs232 that would be used for the main programming port? I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm just getting my feet wet here with these more complex systems.

Thanks,
E

emanuel32804

That's too bad. Does that mean I have to use the RJ45 jack on the card, or can I use the DB25 on the back?

emanuel32804

Understood. How do I make the connection if my repeaters don't have the cutouts on the front for the two jacks? Is it as simple as cutting two holes?

Also upon further research, it seems pretty much everything about the ATAC 3000 vs the 9600 is identical as far as I can tell aside from one being a bit newer and having shorter delay times. Does anyone know any other difference?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, it’s as simple as cutting two holes or you can order the proper front.

emanuel32804

Ah ok. Do you know what the part number would be for the proper front?

Edit: I found it I think. Motorola 6482113V07

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, that’s correct. Just pulled one of my station and the only difference is mine is a V03.

emanuel32804

Those things sure are expensive for a piece of metal with some holes. I'll probably just get the dremel out and make do.

So then if I cannot use the DB25 on the back, I'm curious what its intended use is. Anybody know? The manual calls it "Multi-purpose RS-232". It's even got the same pinout as a v.24.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
There was a guy selling them cheap on eBay a few years ago so I bought a couple. I was originally thinking Dremel or nibbler but the price was right.

The other option is to pick up a cheap 800MHz station and you'll get an scm front and a spare power supply and backplane.

emanuel32804

That's a great idea to get some spare parts. It hadn't occurred to me that the backplane is identical between all the units

Status
Not open for further replies.