• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about APX Bands

Gwebb258

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my own APX6000XE or possibly an APX4000 radio, but need a few questions answered first.

My county's radios operate on a UHF 450-520 MHz band.

1. Are UHF R1 and R2 radios different? I did some research and it seems like R1 is a lower band and R2 is higher, but nowhere had a concrete answer. If I were to buy an APX radio that is UHF R1, can I swap out the antenna for UHF R2? Or is the radio strictly programmed for that specific band.

2. Also, what are the ranges for R1 and R2?

Thank you very much

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They are separate ranges in the APX series, determined by RF hardware, not the antenna. Only the 8x00 series includes the full UHF range as a single option, all other radios you must choose the correct range (or both UHF R1 and R2 in a dual-band 7x00)

UHF R1 380-470
UHF R2 450-520

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I did some research and it seems like R1 is a lower band and R2 is higher, but nowhere had a concrete answer.

Go straight to the source next time.

1664743464376.png

N4KVE

If the freq’s you need to operate on are between 450-470, you could use either split radio. If you need it to work above 470, then you need the R2.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'd say that's a fair guess, but at that point, why not just get a U2 model?

Isn’t 420 used in NY state? So maybe for interoperability???? I’m 2,000 miles away so I’m just guessing.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Probably to accommodate NYPD?
Not a bad guess, but NYPD has 482 and 485 channels, so I don't think it would make sense to stop at 480. 420 MHz is only used in the Buffalo/Niagara area in NYS.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
Glad I read this topic. If I had at any point planned to get an APX with UHF in it, now I know that only R1 will allow 70cm operation.

Kind of surprising that R2 isn't even editable to enable the 440-450 range but it is what it is.

So R1 is the version I'd seek. Another benefit is it would allow the possibility of monitoring some UHF-L federal systems.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
They are separate ranges in the APX series, determined by RF hardware, not the antenna. Only the 8x00 series includes the full UHF range as a single option, all other radios you must choose the correct range (or both UHF R1 and R2 in a dual-band 7x00)

UHF R1 380-470
UHF R2 450-520

A bit of a rarity, but the APX7000 could be had in UHF R1 and UHF R2 for 380-520 coverage. I have only seen one or two come across my bench, but they did make them.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
so happened while looking thru firmware notes a few days ago and saw this topic

What does this mean? RTTE governed countries?
APX R17
New/Replacement Products
Abstract: “BN” Radios UHF-R1 Extend Frequency to 480 MHz
System Platforms Affected: All
Special Configurations: Applies to radios in RTTE governed countries
Description: Operating UHF 1 band for “BN” model radios have been extended from 380-470MHz to 380-480MHz. APX 6000, APX 6000 XE, APX 6000 LI, APX 5000, SRX 2200, SRX 2200 ULP “BN” models

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
so happened while looking thru firmware notes a few days ago and saw this topic

What does this mean? RTTE governed countries?
APX R17
New/Replacement Products
Abstract: “BN” Radios UHF-R1 Extend Frequency to 480 MHz
System Platforms Affected: All
Special Configurations: Applies to radios in RTTE governed countries
Description: Operating UHF 1 band for “BN” model radios have been extended from 380-470MHz to 380-480MHz. APX 6000, APX 6000 XE, APX 6000 LI, APX 5000, SRX 2200, SRX 2200 ULP “BN” models

Short answer: European radios and does not affect radios in the NA market.