Question about PSK31

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdana1942

Just licensed newbie, I need to know what Freq. band radio do I need to be able to do PSK31 on the net.
I have Digipan installed and I understand I will tune to 14.070, so would I need at least a 20M radio??
Any recommendations and would it need COS? Thanks

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Correct on 20m / 14.070. Here's the PSK-31 freqs and bands. Make sure your license allows you to operate in these bands:

PSK31 FREQUENCIES

Note the convention is Upper Sideband (USB) for PSK-31, no matter what band you're on.

Modern ham radios cover most of these bands, but the PSK-31 sweet spots tend to be on 80m, 40m, and 20m (my favorite).

Not sure what you mean by "on the net", and also not sure what COS is?

jimdana1942

Correct on 20m / 14.070. Here's the PSK-31 freqs and bands. Make sure your license allows you to operate in these bands:

PSK31 FREQUENCIES

Note the convention is Upper Sideband (USB) for PSK-31, no matter what band you're on.

Modern ham radios cover most of these bands, but the PSK-31 sweet spots tend to be on 80m, 40m, and 20m (my favorite).

Not sure what you mean by "on the net", and also not sure what COS is?

internet and carrier operated squelch. Any info. on how to connect radio to PC to do PSK? Any links available? Thanks..Jim

N0IU

...to be able to do PSK31 on the net.
I also do not understand this part in the quote. PSK31 is done over the air directly from one radio to another. Unless I am misunderstanding something, there is no "on the net" in this equation.

Also, you say you have just received your license, but in order to do PSK31 on the HF bands, you need to have at least a General Class license.

Here is a good starter link with info about the mode: http://aintel.bi.ehu.es/psk31.html

eorange

Any info. on how to connect radio to PC to do PSK?
Your basic tasks are:

1. connect your Radio audio OUT to PC Soundcard IN
2. connect your Radio Mic IN to PC Soundcard OUT
3. connect your radio PTT to your PC (somehow, depends on your radio).
4. Download and install free PSK-31 software (DM780, MultiPSK, etc)

Step 3 allows your PSK-31 software to control the transmit on your rig, when it's time to transmit.

Doing the above steps will get you going. There are many interfaces that will accomplish this, both commercial and free plans you can build yourself (found on the internet). Popular commerical interfaces are Signalink and RigBlaster.

jimdana1942

Your basic tasks are:

1. connect your Radio audio OUT to PC Soundcard IN
2. connect your Radio Mic IN to PC Soundcard OUT
3. connect your radio PTT to your PC (somehow, depends on your radio).
4. Download and install free PSK-31 software (DM780, MultiPSK, etc)

Step 3 allows your PSK-31 software to control the transmit on your rig, when it's time to transmit.

Doing the above steps will get you going. There are many interfaces that will accomplish this, both commercial and free plans you can build yourself (found on the internet). Popular commerical interfaces are Signalink and RigBlaster.

Good info, thanks. I'll have to dig further to see what freq. bands PSK31 is so I can be certain it is available for a Technician..Appreciate the help.

jimdana1942

I also do not understand this part in the quote. PSK31 is done over the air directly from one radio to another. Unless I am misunderstanding something, there is no "on the net" in this equation.

Also, you say you have just received your license, but in order to do PSK31 on the HF bands, you need to have at least a General Class license.

Here is a good starter link with info about the mode: The Official PSK31 WWW Homepage

I found this on the internet so maybe I can PSK31 in the VHF range. I'll keep digging for info. PSK does interest me. Thanks
PSK31 FREQUENCIES
PSK31 HF Frequencies PSK31 VHF Frequencies
Band Frequency Band Frequency
160 meters 1.838 MHz 6 meters 50.290 MHz
80 meters 3.580 MHz 2 meters
144.144 MHz
40 meters 7.035 MHz 1.25 meters 222.07 MHz
30 meters 10.140 MHz 70 centi-meters 432.2 MHz
20 meters 14.070 MHz 33 centi-meters 909 MHz
17 meters 18.100 MHz
15 meters 21.080 MHz
10 meters 28.120 MHz

N0IU

...maybe I can PSK31 in the VHF range.
Can you use PSK31 on VHF? Yes, but I think you will be sorely disappointed because there is just isn't that much activity.

My advice (and it is worth exactly what is cost you - $0.00) would be to study for your General license so you can get on HF. Of course this will also mean investing in an HF radio and antennas. Personally I enjoy many of the digital modes and it is worth the investment in time and money.

eorange

Agree with Scott.

In the meantime, you can tune your radio to the VHF PSK-31 frequency, and if you hear a data-type signal, then you'll know you have activity in the area.

PSK-31 is a great low-power mode for HF. I once worked a guy in South America using just 20 watts.

Good luck!

K4APR

Since you are newly licensed, I will take advantage of this time to maybe get you interested in kit building, a dieing art in this hobby.

While studying for your general, you can get into PSK31 receiving with a very simple SDR or Software Defined Radio kit called the SoftRock. They have kits available for just about every HF band, but you will probaly want either the 20m or 40m version...or both!

Here is a direct link to view/buy: KB9YIG.com - Your Source for SoftRock Radio Kits

The neat thing about these little kits is they are small, run on a 9V battery and cheap! They are interfaced to your computer's soundcard and controlled through numerous programs, but the simplest is Rocky. Rocky not only allows you to tune your new SDR around the selected band, but also has a built in PSK31 decoder for decoding and displaying live PSK31.

I have the 10m, 15m, 20m and 40m kits. I love them. They are a blast to build and when you fire it up for the first time, there is a real feeling of accomplishment. This would be a great way for you to give PSK31 receiving a try, at a very small price tag. Get your feet wet and by the time you have your general, you will be ready to move up.

Good luck! PSK31 is a blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.