• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about scanning interference w/MT1000's

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekansas

Our company is doing away with MT1000's (VHF) because they won't narrow band. I saved one from the dumpster and had the radio man program it to receive a list of about 10 frequencies. I had him enable scan. I use it as a heavy duty, loud police scanner.

I have a problem with interference it seems. If I have it setting anywhere near me, scanning, in front of this computer screen (flat panel monitor)- within a close to 10 foot radius, it will stop scanning and it breaks the squelch and won't quit. If I stand somewhere inbetween the two, it will quiet down. If I come set back down at the computer, it starts acting up again. If I put it behind the monitor in a certain position, it will go back to quiet and scan.

It does this with a laptop, also. If I grasp around the antenna and hold it just right, it will act normal.

Another thing~ if I take it in the car (2000 Chrysler 300m) it will sometimes do the same thing. I have to hold it up by the window or windshield to get it to stop, or grasp around the antenna.

I am quite clueless about what the exact cause of the problem, but I was wondering if it would stop if I was to have had the radio man program in the PL codes for the L.E.O. freq's I am scanning. I don't have the alarm enabled on my vehicle, and I thought maybe it was still emitting some sort of electrical "noise" and disturbing the walkie.

I have a narrowbanded HT1000 that I still use at work that he programmed the same receive only LEO freq's in to, and it will do the same thing- stop scanning and break the squelch until I get it away from in front of these monitors or grasp around the antenna.

What are these computer monitors and my car emitting that is causing these radios to act up like they are? Like I say, if I get about 10' away from the monitor, it quits. Get out of the car, and the problem quits. I don't seem to get any interference from the plain old Pro-2050 setting in the room.

Who knows.......? By the way, the freq's range from 154.600 to 155.680 if it makes any difference.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Radios and computers don't get along. Computers put out rf on all kinds of frequencies, and if the right radio gets too close, squelch opens and you get the noise.

My new iPhone lives on my belt in a swivel holster. Right next to it is my Minitor V. If I rotate the iPhone to a vertical position, the Minitor goes nuts when in monitor mode, and I suspect it is equally messed up if I set it to alert mode. But if I rotate the iPhone to a horizontal position, the interference stops.

If I boot up the older desktop computer and turn on the CRT monitor, it drives the pager and my portables nuts if they are too close. So I keep them on the other side of the room.

Haven't had any problems in the car or truck with any of my gear yet. I suspect your car may have an onboard computer that is leaking out some electrical interference that your portable doesn't like. That or a lot of noise from the alternator is getting into the radio.

I've just learned to live with it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Nothing unusual, electronics emit RFI constantly. Sometimes it doesn't bother certain receivers, other times it does. It also depends, obviously, on what frequencies the RFI is strongest on as compared with what frequencies you are monitoring.

Programming the PL/DPL will normally help, although the radio might still miss transmissions if the RFI is too strong for the desired signal to break squelch.

Make sure the radio is programmed in either Priority PL or Non Priority PL Channel Scan mode, otherwise it will ignore the PL/DPL while in scan mode and will instead revert to CSQ.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
and another thing, The MT1000's can only hold 8 channels in the scan list too, just wanted to make sure you're away if you feel that you might be missing some traffic on the other 2 channels.

joekansas

Yeah, I printed off some info about the MT1000 awhile back and I recall reading that. I am not sure exactly what is and what isn't scanning at this time. It seems to get the important stuff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.