• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about the cable that connects a remote head to the base on a CDM1550ls

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Is there anything proprietary on the cable that connects a remote head on a CDM1550LS to the radio? It looks like a standard network plug and flat 8 wire connector. If there isn't anything special about it I was thinking about making a custom cable the length I need to get rid of excess.

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
It is 10 conductor connectors and cable

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I'm almost certain It uses standard RJ45 terminations with flat category style cable, just with a custom pin-out. The last remote CDM setup I had was several years ago though, so I might not recall that completely accurately!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
If you don’t use the DTMF mic, you can use a standard CAT-5 LAN cable in place of the Motorola 10P10C connector and cable. Others have reported excellent performance in runs up to 100’ or so.

The outboard pins 9 and 10 Of the remote cable are the DTMF control lines and are only needed when using the AARMN4026 DTMF mic.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
10 pin is RJ-50.

You can use an 8 pin RJ-45 Ethernet cable without an issue. I've done it on a few installs.
I'm not sure I agree with Steve. I know the 10 pin mic connector has the DTMF pins on the outside, but I'm pretty sure using the 8 pin cable between the RF deck and the control head you loose the handset audio.
I could be wrong though. I have the CDM service manuals, but I don't have one that covers the remote head kit.

mancow

Database Admin
10 pin is RJ-50.

You can use an 8 pin RJ-45 Ethernet cable without an issue. I've done it on a few installs.
I'm not sure I agree with Steve. I know the 10 pin mic connector has the DTMF pins on the outside, but I'm pretty sure using the 8 pin cable between the RF deck and the control head you loose the handset audio.
I could be wrong though. I have the CDM service manuals, but I don't have one that covers the remote head kit.
That sounds correct from what I recall too.

Status
Not open for further replies.