Question for Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo1

Jay,

Any information you can provide me would be awesome!

I am interested in purchasing the new Uniden BCD-996T which is APCO25 ready. I am interested in picking up City Police in addition to EMS and Fire for private listening. Is it still required to own an Amateur Radio license to posess a digital capable scanner or was that only for the 785D?

Thanks in advance!

Bravo1

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Bravo1 said:
I am interested in purchasing the new Uniden BCD-996T which is APCO25 ready. I am interested in picking up City Police in addition to EMS and Fire for private listening. Is it still required to own an Amateur Radio license to posess a digital capable scanner or was that only for the 785D?

Let me answer this way:

I own a BC250D, a B796D, a BCD396T, and intend to eventually get a BCD996T.

I have never had an amateur radio license.

I have never heard of any of the following happening:

- Someone getting arrested, fined, charged, or otherwise in trouble with the law, for owning, obtaining, or using a "digital scanner".
- Someone successfully applying for and/or receiving a so-called license for a "digital scanner".
- Someone providing the actual law (chapter and verse) that prohibits ownership/operation of a "digital scanner".

For what it's worth, the element you are thinking of is a line in the draft memo which states that a ham may be granted exemption from the licensing procedure, but that he or she has to demonstrate that this exemption would be in the public's interest. Having a ham ticket doesn't automatically grant you an exemption. You'd still have to find out who to go to, to ask them to instead of granting the mythical license, grant an exemption that says you don't need a license.

I don't intend to worry about it when I go to order my 996.

Bravo1

Jay,

Thanks for your input...

I appreciate your insight as I know that Industry Canada said in the "Draft" that it would require all users of Digital Scanners to be licensed, hence why I held off on purchasing one.

I was over at a friends house helping him out and noticed he had a Digital Scanner and I knew for a fact that he was not licensed, so I asked him how he got it adn he said he "just ordered it" and was really confused when I asked him if they required a license from him.

Anyways, I ordered my new BCD-996T this morning, should be here Tuesday or Wednesday... Wooo Hooo!

Now, time to offload my other Uniden and RS TT Scanners...

Cheers! :)

Bravo1

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If that's directed at me, I ordered the 250 and 796 on two separate occasions from National Electronics in Shawnee, Kansas. The 396 came from ScannerMaster.

I'm not sure where I would go for the 996. I like an external antenna that one retailer has, but another has an easier purchasing procedure (and possibly cheaper price).

mark2117

My BC246T came from ScannersUnlimited it was excellent service and I think its soon time for an upgrade to a BCD396T. Now I'm wondering whats the better way to go, $799.99 from either DurhamRadio or RadioWorld or $649.99US from ScannersUnlimited. Seems like the Canadian places are a little bit cheaper but the service at ScannersUnlimited was beyond excellent.

SCPD

QRT
mark2117 said:
My BC246T came from ScannersUnlimited it was excellent service and I think its soon time for an upgrade to a BCD396T. Now I'm wondering whats the better way to go, $799.99 from either DurhamRadio or RadioWorld or $649.99US from ScannersUnlimited. Seems like the Canadian places are a little bit cheaper but the service at ScannersUnlimited was beyond excellent.
I have a BC796D forsale with Digital card, just send me a private message if your are intrested.

scnnr

mark2117 said:

Mark, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]549.95 is the price at Scnners Unlimited. You quoted the " list price" if you go back and check you will see what I mean http://scannersunlimited.com/scanlist.html :wink:

I agree with your assessment of the service , excellent. I have made 4 scanner purchases from Glen, He will continue to get my business in the future that's for sure.

Randy
[/FONT]

thehammer

I got my 396T from SBHcorp.com for $509US and shipped priority for $40US. They gave the scanner a low value on the customs form so i didnt pay any duty at the border. The Questions I asked weren't answered correctly but I already knew what I wanted. I should have Gotten a 996T(same price) first But I like the 396T I got and I was scanning in no time. Thanks Jay for the Freqs on the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.