Question on Digital Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atms169

I am wondering, I have been listening to an APCO25 freq on 146.895 Mhz yet, my BC895 will not decode it. Is this because I have no control channel for this frequency punched in?

Tnx

electricsheep

atms169 said:
I am wondering, I have been listening to an APCO25 freq on 146.895 Mhz yet, my BC895 will not decode it. Is this because I have no control channel for this frequency punched in?

Tnx

No, your 895 will not "decode it" because it is digital. The 895 is not a digital capable scanner. Plus who are the amateur radio guys in town running P25?!

atms169

MatteBlack said:
No, your 895 will not "decode it" because it is digital. The 895 is not a digital capable scanner. Plus who are the amateur radio guys in town running P25?!

I'm an idiot, no I am running a BC396T and I am not sure what version of software it is, I have not updated it in months. Maybe it has something to do with it?

Well if you listen in the Calgary, AB area you will hear it every so often. I get a solid signal on my scanner and can here the transmissions (Just like CPS digital) and when I switch it to APCO mode I just get silence and yet, the signal bars are full scale.

Who's amateur?

SCPD

QRT
atms169 said:
I'm an idiot, no I am running a BC396T and I am not sure what version of software it is, I have not updated it in months. Maybe it has something to do with it?

Well if you listen in the Calgary, AB area you will hear it every so often. I get a solid signal on my scanner and can here the transmissions (Just like CPS digital) and when I switch it to APCO mode I just get silence and yet, the signal bars are full scale.

Who's amateur?

I have heard something similar in Edmonton. I found a couple of hams using some digital convertor sold by a third party company. My 396T would not decode it but another convertor did.

atms169

brechtd said:
I have heard something similar in Edmonton. I found a couple of hams using some digital convertor sold by a third party company. My 396T would not decode it but another convertor did.

Oh hams ok... Well I heard it again this evening and it still was a no go decoding it. I also did a google search and found this:

GOOGLE SEARCH: "146.895" Calgary

The HamGearS :: News & InformationTHE CALGARY D-STAR "PROJECT 2006". UPDATE - D-Star 146.895 -600 Digital

Looks like they have gone digital. Now I am wondering why the 396T can't decode it?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Because the transmission is D-Star digital encoded. The 396 supports only P25 digital decoding.

STiMULi

It is a whogivesadamnmode that will probably die because it is proprietary and to my knowledge currenly used in ham radio only.

SCPD

QRT
STiMULi said:
It is a whogivesadamnmode that will probably die because it is proprietary and to my knowledge currenly used in ham radio only.
Your comments sum up my thoughts on D-STAR completely.

What a waste of money D-STAR crap is. P25 works/sounds better, is compatible with other digital LMR comm's, and is CHEAPER to buy on eBay.

Leave it up to hams to do something the stupid/backasswards way.

Oh, and DSTAR doesn't support hardware encryption :)

Status
Not open for further replies.