Question on Programming BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmclain55

As a new owner of the BCD396XT after using many other Uniden scanners, I am embarresed that whenever I upload anything from RadioReference using FreeScan, the new uploads are successful, but when hitting Scan the unit goes through the new uploads OK, however, then scans through ALL of the 26 Preloaded Systems. What am I doing wrong. Guess I do not understand how to disable the preloaded systems quickly, without pushing the SCAN, .NO, then System Number, 26 times. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I myself am also new to the RCD396XT. I will view future post to assist me with my own programming. I am fairly intelligent, but the trunking system is very confusing. Hopefully I can borrow the expertise of many other members.

W9DTC

Premium Subscriber
I simply removed the preloaded systems from my scanner. I didn't use freescan, so I couldn't tell you if it does that.

There are only a handfull of them though, so Scan->No->ID shouldn't be that big of a deal.

tmclain55

Thanks for the reply KC9TZT but I thought about removing them as you suggested but wondered if there would be a simpler solution to disable them without removal. The "handful" amounts to going though Scan, NO, ID ## 27 times each time you upload anything into the scanner. I think there must be something I am overlooking to make it simpler without removing the preloaded systems.

KE5BCP

Analog Man
As a new owner of the BCD396XT after using many other Uniden scanners, I am embarresed that whenever I upload anything from RadioReference using FreeScan, the new uploads are successful, but when hitting Scan the unit goes through the new uploads OK, however, then scans through ALL of the 26 Preloaded Systems. What am I doing wrong. Guess I do not understand how to disable the preloaded systems quickly, without pushing the SCAN, .NO, then System Number, 26 times. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Check "Erase All Systems & Settings" before clicking "Start Upload", and it will delete all the pre-programmed systems before it sends your personal file to your scanner.

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Sorry, I was replying to your first post as you sent your reply.

All the preloaded systems are doing is taking up space in your radio. There's really no need for them, and if, for whatever reason you wanted them back, you can reset your radio and it will reload them for you.

Keith_W7KEW

You need to deactivate the systems using quick keys. If you want to deactivate systems 10 and above press the ./No key then enter the system quick key number.
To deactivate system quick key 21 you would press
./No -> 2 -> 1

In the freescan software program you can also activate and deactivate systems in the program then upload the settings to the scanner.

tmclain55

Thanks for your quick response. I guess what you are saying is logical and I shouldn't keep the preloaded stuff. It is sort of like the bloatware preloaded on a new computer to help get you started and later is deleted when you begin to add your own data.

Status
Not open for further replies.