• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 Questions about programming XTS5000 for use as VHF ham radio

jmathias1234

I've recently gotten into amateur radio and hope to continue learning from members in my local club. I've wanted an XTS5000 ever since I was in elementary school when a family member in law enforcement had an extra XTS3000 that he had a few weeks left to turn into his department and he let me borrow it during this time to listen to police traffic, which sparked my interests in radios.

Fast forward 20+ years and I've been searching on Ebay for XTS5000, but couldn't justify spending $400+ on a VHF or UHF model, but also realized the 700/800mhz would just serve as an expensive paperweight, especially without any knowledge in radio programming and my SDR setup that already works great as a scanner. This radio was sold from a reputable ebay seller for $450. The buyer realized it couldn't be field programmed like the BK radios typically used by the FS, so I was able to pick it up from him for $215. Is there a way I can verify what I even purchased without getting the software and cables? I've heard a lot of talk about people incidentally bricking their radios, getting radios with depot jobs, incorrect flashing, etc. and despite researching the radio, software, and reading formums for months I still feel a bit clueless.

I would like to program in a few of my local ham repeaters and simplex channels. I can get the software, but also don’t know what version I should use? I’m new to ham radio and realize programming this XTS5000 will be a process so I appreciate any advice you can provide. I just want to make sure I purchase the correct cable (still deciding whether serial to USB is a good or bad idea--I'm trying to bring an old windows XP system back to life so I may be able to just go straight to a serial port, but USB would be more convenient. Has anyone ever tried using the software with a Windows XP emulator? Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. I have 30 days to return the radio if it doesn't work for my needs, which is what I'm trying to find out. Thanks again for your help.

The seller of the radio listed the following info: Motorola XTS5000 Model II VHF 136-174mhz P25 digital portable radio. Has been cleared out to factory specs and updated to the latest firmware.

Motorola XTS5000 II Model: H18KEF9PW6AN; VHF 136-174mhz; 8 meg; Firmware R20.50.09 (Latest); Flashcode: 580081-001206-3

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation

H14: Enhanced Digital ID Display

Q498: Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR

G996: Over the Air Provisioning

H35: Conventional Systems Operation

Q947: APCO Packet Data Interface

Q387: Conventional Voting Scan

Q446: Fireground Voice/Channel Announcement

Q667: ADP Software Encryption

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
. Is there a way I can verify what I even purchased without getting the software and cables? I've heard a lot of talk about people incidentally bricking their radios, getting radios with depot jobs, incorrect flashing, etc. and despite researching the radio, software, and reading formums for months I still feel a bit clueless.

Press the 3rd side button 5 times directly after powering on. It will list the model number, flashcode, firmware version, secure options. Don't worry about depot jobs anymore, these radios are so old its not significant anymore unless you're paying a premium specifically for that. Besides that there's software edits to make them appear as factory, so....To not brick the radio, don't ever remove the programming cable before the screen tells you "Successful". Your current flash is good conventional featured flash and the flashcode can be unofficially upgraded these days. Have no worries. You'll soon learn the in's and out's. The latest CPS is portable R20.01.00

Last edited:

jmathias1234

Thanks for the help!

If your computer has a serial port, use a serial cable. USB to serial converters are unreliable.

The XTS CPS (Astro 25 CPS) is easy to use. You'll just have to get used to the concept of personalities.
I'm still digging through some old laptops, but a few months ago I got rid of my old windows XP tower that had all the IO and a stable configuration. I just never imagined needed it after it had sat for fifteen years. Hopefully I can drop in a new harddrive and bring one of the dinosaurs back to life. I've been exposed a bit to personalities by reading the manual and watching tutorials..it definitely looks dooable.

Press the 3rd side button 5 times directly after powering on. It will list the model number, flashcode, firmware version, secure options. Don't worry about depot jobs anymore, these radios are so old its not significant anymore unless you're paying a premium specifically for that. Besides that there's software edits to make them appear as factory, so....To not brick the radio, don't ever remove the programming cable before the screen tells you "Successful". Your current flash is good conventional featured flash and the flashcode can be unofficially upgraded these days. Have no worries. You'll soon learn the in's and out's. The latest CPS is portable R20.01.00
Thank you so much for the help! The service mode information on the radio matches the info in the listing so that puts me at ease. I've watched a few CPS YouTube tutorials, but still waiting for the cable to arrive before I can start trying to program it. Haha definitely feels like a major upgrade compared to the baofeng I just purchased last month.

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
The latest/last Version of Astro25 CPS runs just fine on Windows 10 without having to worry about emulating XP. Note though that the cables for the 5000 is not compatible with the older XTS3000/HT1000/Jedi cable (that needed a RIB) even though they have the same connector. The former is available in serial or USB while the latter only worked with serial.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
The official Moto approved usb-serial adapter is the IOGear 232 adapter. I only have the legit moto RKN4106 serial cable for my XTS radios with this usb adapter works perfect for years for programming and firmware updates. I'm sure someone will be along with aftermarket suggestions. One issue Ive heard is of the aftermarket USB cables need specific chips/drivers for reliable operation and not a fake chip. Tho I'm thinking an aftermarket serial cable with proper legit serial-usb adapter will work fine

N4KVL

ÆS 1024
Premium Subscriber
RKN4105A is the USB cable you want, but will likely cost you more than what you are paying for the radio.

There are aftermarket cables to be found on ebay in the 40-50 dollar range. These lack the second cable with tuning breakout, but you do not need that for basic programming. Avoid the ones that say FTDI, these include a USB to serial converter in the cord, which is unnecessary as the XTL5000 has it's own USB host built into the radio.

Baker845

If you get USB cable to program you wouldn't have any issues. I use DB-9 cable and use DB-9 to USB adapter. I have programmed and used The XTs-5000 for ham radio and its really good radio. The lastest CPS is 20.01 so if get that you shouldn't have any issues programming.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
My recommendation for a radio programming computer is a refurbished Dell Latitude D830 running Windows 7. (Yes they'll run 10 as well.) They're as good a radio programming workhorse laptop as was ever made, and they're dirt cheap, too. 50 bucks will get you a nice one off ebay.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend looking at the XTS2500 over the 5000 as it was the latest and last of the series and its a little smaller than a 5000. A 2500 will do just about everything a 5000 will do except for a couple of encryption things and there is no convertacom for the 2500. I discovered the 2500 only a couple of years ago and now I have around a dozen of them in all bands. Some basic UHF versions cost me only $40, a 700/800 model was about $60 and my most expensive was a VHF model III with FPP, AES256 and lots of features for about $250. Nice do everything UHF model IIIs with FPP and AES256 can be had for about $125.

jruta

I would recommend looking at the XTS2500 over the 5000 as it was the latest and last of the series and its a little smaller than a 5000. A 2500 will do just about everything a 5000 will do except for a couple of encryption things and there is no convertacom for the 2500. I discovered the 2500 only a couple of years ago and now I have around a dozen of them in all bands. Some basic UHF versions cost me only $40, a 700/800 model was about $60 and my most expensive was a VHF model III with FPP, AES256 and lots of features for about $250. Nice do everything UHF model IIIs with FPP and AES256 can be had for about $125.
I agree. Had one before my APX and absolutely loved it. There was always the question of durability vs. the 5k due to antenna connections to the board, but we’ve had them at work for a long time without issues- and these people are NOT kind to radios.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I agree. Had one before my APX and absolutely loved it. There was always the question of durability vs. the 5k due to antenna connections to the board, but we’ve had them at work for a long time without issues- and these people are NOT kind to radios.
For a long time I was a proponent of the 5000. Then I got a 2500, I love my yellow XTS5000R's but the XTS2500's has a place for a compact radio. I'd rather put the 2500 on my belt than a 5000 but the ruggedness of a 5000 doesn't compete but I'm not going into fires or dropping my 2500. But I absolutely pickup my 5000's by the antenna(the antenna port being part of the metal frame) which I wouldn't dream of with the 2500. Both my 5000 & 2500 have the thinnesst batteries, the NTN9862 for the 5000 and the hnn9013 for the 2500. These days I use my XTS2500 way more than the 5000s

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The biggest failure point in the 2500 is the use of ZIF connectors. Especially when "teknishuns" call themselves "refurbishing" a beater with Chinese housings from LindaWang and use too much force unclipping the top flap to get the ribbon cables out. Break the tabs and they're done. Not easy to replace them either.

The 5000 is a way better radio construction wise. A broken housing can easily be replaced. There are no ZIF connectors and only a single flex that connects the entire control surface (controls, PTT and speaker/mike) to the controller board. Much better connector too. Display easy to swap if damaged, as is the keypad. Again, no garbage pail ZIF connectors. Battery contacts are also crap compared to the 5000. It was a low rent radio from the get go.

The 5000 was designed with a 10-15 year service life with serviceability of wear items taken into account. The 2500 was a cost cutter radio for those too cheap to buy 5000s. I get why hamsters flock to them, but they are nowhere near the same quality inside. I've had over 3,000 of a mix of both before we migrated to APX radios. Less than 20 (16 to be exact) of 5000s, mostly bad PTT buttons and two destroyed by fire. (Not the cause)
Around 750 were RB XTS2500s, and out of those, 84 were killed by being dropped, bad flexes, bad displays, failed PM in auto tune (some way down on power output).

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
We've had the same experience in our shop with a mix of XTS3000/5000/2500/1500s before migrating to APX. Repaired more 1500 and 2500s with broken SMA jacks (due to strain) and PTT switches that came off the PCB from overuse. Far fewer failures of that type on the more robust higher tier radios. They weren't bulletproof either but could take harder use.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Programming the XTS5K, I use a USB to serial adapter as well with a Microsoft Surface Go 2 running Win10 64 bit. The cables also work fine on some tiny HP desktop running Win10 64 bit. The USB to serial cable I use is Gigaware, which I believe is no longer made.

@MTS2000des - You and others posted a similar note about the differences a while back which is why I now have a VHF and UHF XTS5K Model 3 w/FPP. I use them in their own XTVA’s which definitely put them ahead of the 2500. I use them daily in their convertacom, but carry an APX7000xe due to its dual band and additional features. I wish an APX was half the size and weight, but the Moto BT mic allows me to leave the APX on the vehicle roof, when stationary, or on a backpack instead of my hip.

jmathias1234

Thanks so much! It took me quite a while to even find a PDF of the radio manual so this really helped. I just purchased a used Toughbook so I can use the serial port and older OS as well as a few heavily used "as is" recycled 700/800mhz type II's discarded by a police department. I have no idea whether these radios even power on, but I feel more comfortable experimenting on them instead of bricking my VHF for making a stupid mistake. The 700/800mhz are in rough shape, but were inexpensive so if I screw one up it won't be the end of the world. I'm also excited to open up the case on one and see what's under the hood, but again don't want to screw up my VHF model that is in excellent condition. I'll be careful to not remove the programming cable prematurely and I think having the older Toughbook dedicated to just programming should help. Thanks for putting me at ease.

jmathias1234

If your computer has a serial port, use a serial cable. USB to serial converters are unreliable.

The XTS CPS (Astro 25 CPS) is easy to use. You'll just have to get used to the concept of personalities.
Thanks for your help. I just bought a Toughbook with serial ports so I don't have to worry about USB conversion. It seems like some people have success with USB, but I'll have my hands full figuring out the software without worrying whether the hardware (and drivers) are working.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
Generally it's the housing that takes ALL the abuse on an XTS5000 so just putting a new housing on those rough looking radios is all they are likely to need to be pretty much as good as new. Housings are readily available on ebay. Even the chinese copy ones are functional enought but I would get a genuine OEM Motorola one.

If trying to play with a 700/800 MHz radio, you may soon encounter issues regarding trunking systems that weren't deprogrammed from them.