Quick question for all on the Pro-96 DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Ok i just got a DTS Pro-96 and Im probably not suppose to post this here if its not the place to ask

I see the freq range will go up to 800mhz and all, will it work well with the VIPER system?

Im only looking to program, Guilford, Alamance, Orange only into it and a few conventional stuff... and Im doing all this by hand, no software or cable :(.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, now i can just start my scanning and leave the Astro alone for a while.

Also to add, im wanting to clear the whole scanner out, i know there is a small little reset button on the side but do i hold any other key to reset the whole thing so all banks are cleared?

Last edited:

randyK

I have a radio shack pro96 & it does viper well, but limited to 150 talkgroups per bank.Well if you run the viper bank in open mode you receive everything, but will only have alpha tags for the talkgroups you have programmed. If you put a conventional FM mode frequency before & after each control channel it will track multiple sites. I never have cleared the memory on mine (always programmed by PC) but I guess the reset button would work. Remember you also have 11 V-folders to store different setups in.
A computer would make things a lot easier. Randy

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Randy aren't you in alamance if I could meet up with you to program the pro 96? I don't have software for it if that's even available and I bet the price to get both software and cable aren't really cheap...

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I don't have software for it if that's even available and I bet the price to get both software and cable aren't really cheap...

C138NC - If you decide that the DTS96 is a keeper, you're probably going to want your own software and cable.

Once Viper and other Motorola trunked systems in your area reband, you won't have any way to program most sites without software. Programming by hand, you can only enter 1 custom table in the DTS or GRE versions of the scanner. You will generally have to program multiple tables, which can only be done with software, for a rebanded trunked site.

The USB cable for the DTS96 (same cable as the Pro 96) will cost $35 from Radio Shack. If your PC has serial ports, you might be able to find the original serial cables for the 96 for about $10-15.

Win96 software ( Software for RadioShack PRO-96 and 2096 scanners ) is $30 to register. ARC96 software ( Software for the PRO-96 PRO-2096 ) is $15.

Normally, I would recommend the WinXX programs over other software for the applicable GRE / Radio Shack scanners. But there seems to be some questions online about whether the custom bandplan settings work correctly with the DTS96 scanner. The ARC96 software specifically mentions that it is compatible with the DTS96 scanner.

Both scanner programs allow a potential buyer to try them before paying for a registration.

Last edited:

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Ill look into that :) Pro 96 seems to be a keeper to me, do i just need to program in the main control channel & alternate or all of them?

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ill look into that :) Pro 96 seems to be a keeper to me, do i just need to program in the main control channel & alternate or all of them?

For VIPER you can just program the Main & Alternate CC.

And everything Jeff said above is spot on accurate.
Marshall KE4ZNR

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
For VIPER you can just program the Main & Alternate CC.

And everything Jeff said above is spot on accurate.
Marshall KE4ZNR

ok i did that, didnt hear much from orange county when i programmed in both sites "Orange Co Laws, Orange Co Chapel Hill", I must be doing something wrong, now im just working on burlington/greensboro, tags arent showing up, I think i did something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.