R30 R30 replacement?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I ran across this statement on the internet while searching for some additional information about the Icom R30:

"Due to manufacturing difficulties ICOM Has halted production of the IC-R30 and ICOM is currently developing a replacement model."

Does anyone know if Icom is really working on a replacement for the R30? I love my R30, but I'm excited about the possibility of something new from Icom.

Happy monitoring!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I called old man Icom yesterday and he said to be patient. I figure there will be a follow up handheld receiver due to the demand/prices on the used market, but I am unsure of the changes they would make, or added features. (For those that will bemoan...Icom will not add DMR)

I lucked out and purchased my R30 for $400 used. It really is a fine receiver for both sensitivity and selectivity when compared to other wide band handheld receivers and transceivers. With the adjustable gain it has, it works well with passive antennas. Anyways, what new features would you like the subsequent model to have Johnnie?

palmerjrusa

I called old man Icom yesterday and he said to be patient. I figure there will be a follow up handheld receiver due to the demand/prices on the used market, but I am unsure of the changes they would make, or added features. (For those that will bemoan...Icom will not add DMR)

I lucked out and purchased my R30 for $400 used. It really is a fine receiver for both sensitivity and selectivity when compared to other wide band handheld receivers and transceivers. With the adjustable gain it has, it works well with passive antennas. Anyways, what new features would you like the subsequent model to have Johnnie?

The IC-R30 is the finest wideband handheld receiver ever produced, it's more sensitive than my AR-DV10 on UHF and doesn't suffer from intermod on that part of the spectrum as the AR-DV10 does (have to use a filter to remove it).
When Icom announced it was being discontinued I snapped up another new unit before new units disappeared for good.

I sure hope Icom releases a follow-up version.
A color screen would be be great😁.

Meanwhile, if anyone's been thinking about getting an IC-R6 I would pounce now before new units disappear, it's also a fantastic little wideband radio.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I have the R30. Assuming there is a replacement coming i hope that it will have a much better display and that the battery will last longer. I would like that the sound/tuning button would be more like the ID-52.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber

Hello again, vagrant.

New features for the R30 replacement? Let's see . . . I can dream, can't I?

1. Trunk tracking - Icom makes land mobile radios for IDAS/NXDN, and P25 phase 1 and 2 trunked radio systems, so I know they have the capability, but they seem to be entirely focused on "communications receivers," not trunk-tracking "scanners" when it comes to their receiver lineup.

2. DMR - That will probably never happen because their IDAS/NXDN radios are competing head-to-head with DMR in the commercial and public-safety radio world, but hope springs eternal because a competitor, Kenwood, sells D-Star radios in the amateur radio world, presumably with Icom's blessing.

3. Linear simulcast modulation reception - I don't know if Icom's commercial and public-safety trunked radios can handle simulcast systems, but I'm guessing it's a technical possibility, given their ability to deal with just everything else out there. I'd settle for an R30 replacement that can receive digital simulcast signals in conventional, non-trunking mode via an I/Q receiver front-end like Uniden's SDS series scanners.

4. A truly useful remote-control app - The RS-R30 software and the VS-3 Bluetooth are interesting options, but they stop well short of higher-level remote-control capabilities.

5. Decryption - Unication pagers can monitor encrypted systems if they have an encryption key. Yes, I know this feature must be authorized and legally blessed by system owners.

6. A brighter, higher-contrast display - Icom's commercial handheld radios have brighter, higher-contrast displays, so I know it could be done for the R30 replacement. One small irritation I have with the R30's display is that it seems to generate some subtle, low-level noise that interferes with signal reception when it automatically lights up. The low-level noise goes away when the display light is turned off.

7. A color display? - A color display like Icom's ID-52 D-Star radio that's visible even in bright sunlight would be nice.

8. A separate jack for AC power that bypasses the battery-charging circuitry would be nice. I'm not sure what might happen if I left my R30's charging circuitry on for hours or days on end.

9. Automatic volume gain control - The R30 already has some really nice control features (VSC, AFC, ANL, RF gain, etc), but circuitry that could be used to moderate voice-volume levels while scanning multiple systems would be cool.

I'll think of some more things to add around 2 a.m. tonight, but I guess that's about it for now.

I already have a couple of Uniden SDS100's and a Unication G5 pager, but the possibility of an R30 replacement that can apply Icom quality to take us a step or two further is fun to think about . . . and yes, I know it would be very expensive.

Thanks for listening!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
The IC-R30 is the finest wideband handheld receiver ever produced, it's more sensitive than my AR-DV10 on UHF and doesn't suffer from intermod on that part of the spectrum as the AR-DV10 does (have to use a filter to remove it).
When Icom announced it was being discontinued I snapped up another new unit before new units disappeared for good.

I sure hope Icom releases a follow-up version.
A color screen would be be great😁.

Meanwhile, if anyone's been thinking about getting an IC-R6 I would pounce now before new units disappear, it's also a fantastic little wideband radio.
Agreed, palmerjrusa!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I have the R30. Assuming there is a replacement coming i hope that it will have a much better display and that the battery will last longer. I would like that the sound/tuning button would be more like the ID-52.
Agreed, jazzboypro!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

bearcatrp

IF Icom releases a R30 replacement, hope it has a screen like the 52A. Only thing I can think of that would top the R30 is phase II P25 and DMR. We all know Icom won’t get off its high horse and bring in DRM. I was lucky to buy a second R30 a few months back. In pristine condition. Cost was about new. Let’s hope Icom does build a better R30.

fires999

Morning Forum,
Just been looking online at the new Icom R15, am I missing something as looking at the specs, it looks relatively basic ? I'm sure there was no mention of DMR or similar ?
Kev (UK)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Morning Forum,
Just been looking online at the new Icom R15, am I missing something as looking at the specs, it looks relatively basic ? I'm sure there was no mention of DMR or similar ?
Kev (UK)
Wrong thread - Look here for the R15

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
Morning Forum,
Kev (UK)
It IS relatively basic and not even the frequency range of the IC-R6

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
If they do come out with a replacement, it would be nice if the voice announcement was expanded to read the menus as well as the frequency and mode. I'm blind and I like that my IC-R30 tells me what frequency I'm on so it would be nice to be able to make full use of all the settings in a future model.
An amateur radio operator friend of mine is also blind and relies on the voice announcement feature on his Kenwood D74. An expanded voice announcement feature would be nice on the R30.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
It'd be nice if they'd swallow their pride and just admit their Anti-DMR crusade was a really stupid decision and just add it to the various decode modes, also release a firmware update to add it to the current R30 which is a pretty neutered digital radio without.

Another thing I wish it had was a DFing utility, like the HomePatrol 1 and 2 had with the extreme firmware unlock. With the built-in GPS receiver it's kind of a no brainer.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
It'd be nice if they'd swallow their pride and just admit their Anti-DMR crusade was a really stupid decision and just add it to the various decode modes, also release a firmware update to add it to the current R30 which is a pretty neutered digital radio without.

Another thing I wish it had was a DFing utility, like the HomePatrol 1 and 2 had with the extreme firmware unlock. With the built-in GPS receiver it's kind of a no brainer.

I doubt you’ll ever see Icom, Yaesu, or Kenwood ever add DMR to any of their amateur radios or receivers. The R30 is a nice receiver, the only reason I sold mine was the screen was virtually unreadable in bright light. I’d bet that there will not be a near identical replacement anytime soon, if ever.

I doubt the R15 was intended for the US market.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
An amateur radio operator friend of mine is also blind and relies on the voice announcement feature on his Kenwood D74. An expanded voice announcement feature would be nice on the R30.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

The TH-D75A will add a lot more voice functions.