R7000 Intermittant RX Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

R7000

Hi Group,

Sometimes when I turn my 7000 on, it will not receive, the freq display works normally, the mode will switch, etc, but I get no audio and no RF meter or center action. The squelch knob will light the squelch display but still no audio. I can hear some processor noise, etc from the audio however.

If I leave it on for an hour or so, it will start playing. Or sometimes I turn it on and it works normally.

Anyone know where to start? I have a service manual and am reasonably handy (but not Icom employment ready obviously).

Thanks
Tom

k9rzz

Got any test gear?

You could open the hood and look for cold solder joints. Perhaps, once they warm up they start to work again.

scanchs

Tom,

In a receiver the age of the R7000, the power supply capacitors are generally suspect. I would start by checking all power supplies voltages. If you have the same service manual I do, the power supply circuits are described on page 4-6. The proper preparation and required test equipment is specified at the beginning of Section 6. The voltage diagrams for the circuit boards are in Section 9 (voltages and wave forms are marked in red). Please be very careful when you're doing voltage checks. If you accidentally short something out, you'll let the magic smoke out and your wonderful R7000 will stop working completely. :(

To give you an idea of what to look for, here's a typical R7000 troubleshooting tip from the Icom web site:
Symptom: Low RX on all bands.
Probable Cause: Incorrect voltages from DC-DC unit.
Cure: Check for correct output voltages at J2 connector of the DC-DC board. Replace C1 and C2 capacitors (both 33 µF, 16v) on the DC-DC unit if voltages are incorrect.

Anything beyond simple voltage checks will require more sophisticated test equipment. So, like k9rzz said,

Got any test gear?

ScanCHS

combatcomm

My R7000 has various problems. ICOM Service Center does not support the receiver. Can anyone recommend a competent service shop?

SCPD

QRT
I just got rid of my R7000 and R71A recently for this exact reason. They were wonderful receivers in their day. But really ... just weren't designed to last and I can almost guarantee that you have some bad capacitors in the radio. It is a common and well known problem with the R7000 and such Icom receivers.

Personally .. I would ditch it and get what you can from it and buy a normal scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.