Radio Reference Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

welkin87

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to all this so forgive me if this is a stupid question. When browsing the database, after I select a state and county, what do I look for to see if digital or analog is being used?

A friend and I are going storm chasing in May in Oklahoma and I want to find a radio scanner before then. Nothing really fancy (tight budget), but something that will help. Any suggestions?

Cochran_rick

I am new to the site as well, and have a lot to learn. If you select your State and County it will display the conventional freqs first and if you scroll down it will show you trunked systems. You click on the trunked systems and it will open up and show you what you are looking for. It will show you if the trunked systems are analog or digital also. If you intend on scanning a specific area you can see what systems they are using and that should help you in picking out a scanner. My son works for Montgomery Police department and that is what I was wanting to monitor. I found that they are using trunked digital with Pro Voice which cant be scanned. Fortunately for me their dispatch scannel and the channels my son uses are analog so I am able to monitor him on a not digital truncked scanner. Good luck, I am really enjoying my BCT15X though I haven't even started using it to it's potential.

captclint

Mentor
A friend and I are going storm chasing in May in Oklahoma and I want to find a radio scanner before then. Nothing really fancy (tight budget), but something that will help. Any suggestions?
Welcome to RR.. Oklahoma is to big an area to generalize on the right scanner. Chances are, you will need a trunking scanner, for which there are good choices for around $200 -250. If you check all the counties where you plan to go, and find 1 or more have digital trunking(there will be a " D" in the Mode column for the talk groups), then the choices are more limited and more expensive...all around $500. Once you decide what you want, or how much you want to spend, more specific recommendations can be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.