Radio Shack Pro96 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

macombctyuser

I need help with a Radio Shack Pro96 scanner. I input the control channel and alternate for the Mt. Clemens site. When I scan, a trunk group number will come up but, no audio. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A couple of possibilities here - is this the system you are trying to hear?

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

If so you may not be hearing a strong enough control channel to copy it - you need a closer site, and/or a better antenna, like the RS 800 Mhz duckie, which has had many very solid reviews.

Mike

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Good thing with the PRO 96 is you can manually go to the control channel and check the % of received signal, I have noticed that below 20% does not receive well.

N8IAA

I need help with a Radio Shack Pro96 scanner. I input the control channel and alternate for the Mt. Clemens site. When I scan, a trunk group number will come up but, no audio. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Do you have the frequencies programmed as MOT? You might want to add all of the frequencies for that site just in case they have changed the control/alternate frequencies.
Make sure that the squelch is set to between 9 and 11 o'clock.
When you say trunk group, are you meaning Talk Group ID?
What antenna are you using? The original ducky?
Another problem the 96's have is that they go out of spec on digital. There is a post on how to fix this in the forums.
HTH,
Larry

mikey60

Technically the Mt. Clemens site is a hot stand-by site and is not operating. It would be made active is the Macomb Simulcast were to go down. You need to look at the Macomb County Simulcast to make sure you have the correct control channels.

The other thing that's needed is to make sure the DSP firmware for the PRO-96 is the latest version so that it will decode CQPSK modulation. If it starts with audio and then fades out, this is likely the issue.

Mike

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the rebanding tables in your radio? If not, it might not be tuning the voice channels properly.

Sent via Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Rebanding is not an issue with a true P25 system (if the OP is trying to hear MPSCS) since all the necessary data is carried via the control channel. No tables needed. Besides the entry in the database is not marked for it

Mike

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding is not an issue with a true P25 system (if the OP is trying to hear MPSCS) since all the necessary data is carried via the control channel. No tables needed. Besides the entry in the database is not marked for it

Mike

I was going by multiple references I had seen, specifically for the Pro 96.

Sent via Tapatalk

freqs

Lakeville tower northern Macomb co that tower has 700 meg as well the pro 96 don't cover those freqs.The Macomb Simulcast towers are all 800

jj394

Premium Subscriber
The problem could be that they moved some of msp and det channels to 700 band and the 96 don't pick it up

GeneseeCoMI

The pro96 cannot follow the reband P25 trunk channels in Michigan without doing the custom tables per wiki.
That was why i got rid of my 96 and went with a PSR500

PRO-96 FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

The wiki is wrong. For MPSCS all you have to do is change the control channel frequencies since it uses standard tables. My Pro 96 works fine monitoring MPSCS (and several independent P25 systems) everywhere I've gone in the state.

mikey60

The only time you have to use custom tables on the PRO-96 is if the system doesn't use Motorola's system default. Downriver happens to be one of those type of systems.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.