Range of code

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortbus91

hello all just had a idea. is there such a site you can enter your info such as zip code and it will pull up all the Frequceys that you could get in your city. OR is there a site that can punch in the code and see how far/reach that given one has. ?

my 2nd ?s is what about airplanes what is the odds of listen to them in a town here in il with the closest airport i in stl which is 45 mins south of me right now.

my third ? is is there a place that tells you random codes that work for stuff. ? i did not know this but i saw a you tube video tonight of the international space station it has its own code. its 145.800 it said that it goes around the earth and you should hear it twice a day and then there was another one were they took a jumpsuit and let it drift away in space. they put inside a tape player and a radio and it plays the same message over and over all day/night in 12 differnt laungues and then stops then goes pauses 30 sec, so like i said i learned that tonight so i didnt know of any other cool stuff we could pick up

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
1: not that I've seen
2: Yes, you should hear airplanes from just about anywhere, but it's not real exciting
3: This site has the best database, yes 145.8 is the frequency for the ISS but there are more (check ISS Fan Club | get in touch with the International Space Station) and the space suit is called SuitSat, I don't know if it's still active, but a quick google search should garner loads of info.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hello all just had a idea. is there such a site you can enter your info such as zip code and it will pull up all the Frequceys that you could get in your city. OR is there a site that can punch in the code and see how far/reach that given one has. ?

my 2nd ?s is what about airplanes what is the odds of listen to them in a town here in il with the closest airport i in stl which is 45 mins south of me right now.

my third ? is is there a place that tells you random codes that work for stuff. ? i did not know this but i saw a you tube video tonight of the international space station it has its own code. its 145.800 it said that it goes around the earth and you should hear it twice a day and then there was another one were they took a jumpsuit and let it drift away in space. they put inside a tape player and a radio and it plays the same message over and over all day/night in 12 differnt laungues and then stops then goes pauses 30 sec, so like i said i learned that tonight so i didnt know of any other cool stuff we could pick up

The only site I can think of which comes close to what you describe is cityfreq.com however a zip code is not needed just the city and state that you are looking for info from. Mainly commercial and public safety data is what you will find.

n9zas

shadcall

Or you can always go to the FCC site and put in your city or county and get all the frequencies. Also when you go to the RR data base and click on a location there is a tab at the top labeled FCC and clicking on that will give you access to a list of all the licenses in that county. It may be something available only to premium subscribers.

shortbus91

okay another ? since i am new to this all is the police etc do they have frequencies that are not listed with the fcc or the fcc do not give out ?

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
okay another ? since i am new to this all is the police etc do they have frequencies that are not listed with the fcc or the fcc do not give out ?

Most PDs that I know of in your area should be listed with the FCC. I don't know, if any, agencies that can use a particular frequency without the FCC knowing about it. If they don't want people to hear it then they might encrypt it. Most of the info on here is pretty accurate and if you find something that isn't through your listening then submit it.

Also try: AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.

you can only search a small radius but typically if you put like a city hall address or PD you get every frequency used/licensed. I found a lot of licensed frequencies that aren't listed on here that way.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

What, specifically are you looking for? That would help us to answer your question. ;)

n9zas

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Or you could purchase a Uniden HP-1 and enter your zip code and away you go. Interestingly, the same data used by the zip code entry is taken from this very site but you can't search this site by zip code I don't think.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I don't know, if any, agencies that can use a particular frequency without the FCC knowing about it.

Try searching the FCC General Menu Reports for the new MOSWIN frequencies of 152.600 or 152.660.
You will not find anything yet those are the control channels for the Weldon Spring and Imperial, MO sites.
Also try 148.600. It will also not produce any results. Yet Missouri uses it pretty much statewide for their mobile extenders.

The same is true for most of the frequencies that the federal government has allowed states to use. Those type frequencies are not assigned or controlled by the FCC so they won't normally show up. There are actually a lot of them in use across the country that will not show up in an FCC search.

The two 152.xxx ones I listed first are FCC allocated frequencies but they are for a market area and handle paging. Missouri managed to get an exception to use them in some areas of the state for MOSWIN. I think those are frequency blocks assigned to a bidder in an auction so only the entire block will show up and then they are further broken down into geographic market areas. So a search on those will usually only reveal the market area and who owns or controls that area. I don't know how but I bet there is a way to drill into these market area type frequencies and determine actual transmitter locations with geo info. If anyone knows how that is done, please advise as I'd love to be able to determine actual locations of the MOSWIN sites that use the paging or fed frequencies. I know that info is listed here but there are going to be times it is not listed here and I have no idea how to find it myself so if someone knows that would be a big help.

Searching the FCC site is not nearly as accurate or as easy as it was before. There are ways to find the info from applications the state made but the normal General Menu Reports search will not show the actual users of the paging market areas. It will only show who the market area owner is.
I'm not sure about the federal frequencies in use today for state public safety. I assume one could still find info from FCC applications on those frequencies also but its a tad more work finding what you are after. Even if you know the callsign for a site that is assigned frequencies in the federal ranges or the special market areas like the Part 22 (I think) paging markets, a callsign search often does not reveal very much info such as location detail and even all the freqs associated with that callsign.

Here's the link for the primary FCC search site that is usually very handy for the scanner listener: FCC General Menu Reports 3.1.14 October 7, 2010

All the ones I listed above will show up in a search here at RR though as users have submitted them!

I also found the database here for the STL City P25 South Patrol tower does not agree at all with what is found at the FCC. The FCC says the site does not exist. I've asked in the Missouri forum if anyone can confirm that the South Patrol 700 MHz site is even on the air but nobody has confirmed yes or no. I know it went off the air well over a year ago and then not long back I saw a post stating it was back on the air. I tried it and cannot get a hint of a signal at all where before when it was on the air, I could receive that site but not near as well as the main North Patrol site which is actually a citywide simulcast site. I never figured out where the names of South and North Patrol sites came from as the North Patrol was the original and only site. The South Patrol site was added later and never had hardly any traffic on it. What traffic was on the South Patrol site was also carried by the North Patrol site at the same time. I think the North Patrol site should be renamed as City Main and if there is a south patrol site, it should be called South Site backup or something as it never carried all the south traffic. Only a few cars had 700 MHz radios.
With the city changing from 9 to 6 districts, something very well could change but I doubt they will split up the radio systems.

Last edited:

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Most PDs that I know of in your area should be listed with the FCC. I don't know, if any, agencies that can use a particular frequency without the FCC knowing about it. If they don't want people to hear it then they might encrypt it. Most of the info on here is pretty accurate and if you find something that isn't through your listening then submit it.

Also try: AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.

you can only search a small radius but typically if you put like a city hall address or PD you get every frequency used/licensed. I found a lot of licensed frequencies that aren't listed on here that way.

Good looking out on this link. I found a ton of freq's not listed here in the database for my local area. I discovered a few with my Home Patrol before finding these new freq's and had no clue as to who they were...until now!

Thanks again!

Dafe.

shortbus91

Thanks everyone i was just woundering if they police and fire and emts had the abilty to use a frequency with out the fcc knowing you all aswered my ?s :)

Status
Not open for further replies.