• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RAS Keys

rfa5

Premium Subscriber
For anyone that might program Cap+ systems (or any system using a RAS key) I have a question about how RAS keys are "made up". Are there any common RAS keys that are used besides the default zeros? My issue here is the place I work has a Cap+ single site trunked system. I would like to program my radio on the system (XPR7550e). The problem is that there is no one at the job that knows anything about the radios and the system. Basically no one is "in charge" of the radios. Any radio work, programming or problems are handled by the office...the radios are sent out or radio repair comes to the job. I believe it's BearCom that handles everything from licensing to programming. I have everything programmed...frequencies, talk groups, etc but the only thing holding me up I believe is the RAS key. The company radios were programmed using CPS 2.0 but I had to rewrite it to CPS 16 as that is the version my 7550e is using. Like I said, I think I have everything programmed correctly with only the RAS being my hang up. I'm hoping to catch radio repair at the job site, but I usually work evenings and I never see them at those hours. FYI, the job could care less if I put my radio up on the system, but they have no one to help me. Any ideas?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
FYI, the job could care less if I put my radio up on the system, but they have no one to help me. Any ideas?

The job may not care, BearCom might. Also, FCC rules are very clear that the only one permitted to add radios to a system is the licensee.

So, it's possible that even if you do catch a radio tech on site, he'll not be willing to assist unless you have written permission from the licensee (The person who's name is on the actual FCC license).

I've had random people at work want to add radios to my systems, and I don't permit it. Once the radio is on my system, I'm required to make sure it's meeting all the FCC rules. Part of my job is to make sure my employer doesn't get into trouble with the FCC.

I know, many will say that it doesn't matter, they don't care, the FCC won't know. Whatever, but as a professional, I take a lot of pride in my integrity.

Not saying you shouldn't ask the tech, just be ready for all the possible answers.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
To add to the great info @mmckenna wrote. Many radio shops rent out airtime on their trunking systems. Some companies can buy or rent radios. So your company may or may now own their own radio and may or may not be renting airtime. If they are renting air time then you would need to also pay BearCom for your radios air time to access their system. When i was a tech at a radio shop, we had many LTR systems up across the metroplex (yes i worked there 15 years ago when LTR was popular) Users paid us for air time and they rented radios or purchased their own. But they still had to pay us monthly per radio to use our system.

PACNWDude

RAS Keys, often all zeros, all "1's" or 123456 type of thing is common. Work with Bearcom as local radio support at many sites as well. If a RAS Key is in use, there is a good reason for it to be in use....limit whom is on the network. Do not expect to be able to add any oddball radio to the network, especially if you do not own or maintain it.