• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera MD-UV390 encryption issue

Louie7

I tried everything. Even updated CPS to 02.37, changed settings, changed keys, nothing works.
The DM1701 doesn't support RC4 or AES, so what you may hear is just scrambled voice, nothing more.

If you have an RTL-DSR usb dongle you should use DSD-FME with the command:

dsd-fme -Z

and you post here a screenshot of the first frames that appear, if there is no PI HEADER with marked RC4 or AES, it's because you've misconfigured something.

Also look at the firmware version you have in the MDUV390 and post the version here, maybe your MDUV390 is a PLUS model but which does not have the firmware up to date.

The firmware should be something like S19.119.xx

If you have not the good firmware, the firmware are here :

If after flashing the firmware of your model, the screen remains white it means that you do not have a PLUS model but a normal model. The firmware appears to detect the serial number of the PLUS models and does not run if the serial number is for a normal model (this is a protection that TYT has put in place so that people are forced to buy a PLUS model if they want to have the RC4 or AES).
Business is Business.

Last edited:

naffMaster

The DM1701 doesn't support RC4 or AES, so what you may hear is just scrambled voice, nothing more.
Yes and I know that. Already checked with Enhanced security.

If you have an RTL-DSR usb dongle you should use DSD-FME with the command:

Unfortunately, I don't have any SDR dongle.
The version is the newest propably, S219.043.

Should I do the trick with the firmware? It can't brick my radio? I am brokie, here's the example why I bought TYT not AnyTone or Motorola for DMR with AES.

Last edited:

Louie7

Yes and I know that. Already checked with Enhanced security.

Unfortunately, I don't have any SDR dongle.
The version is the newest propably, S219.043.
I don't know more, at home everything works without problem with the same model.

Your MD-UV390 PLUS may have a hardware problem(but it would surprise me because the RC4 or AES encryption is software, it doesn't use a hardware chip.)
Did you buy it from a normal retailer or at a low price from Aliexpress?

Mine comes from here :

By the way the UV390 PLUS is approved by FCC for encryption (FCC part 90) :

This radio has been approved by the FCC. Type accepted for Part 90, FCC ID POD-MDUV390

Last edited:

naffMaster

I've edited my last response.
Did you buy it from a normal retailer or at a low price from Aliexpress?

Low price from AliExpress, it had good opinions, I guess. Asked some questions for retailer, they sent me newest CPS, but it guess what, it didn't help. Although this is not the last word. I can send it to the forums, but it exceeds maximum capacity for attachments.

Type accepted for Part 90, FCC ID POD-MDUV390
This ID is wrote in the battery chamber. But don't know exactly if this is true.

Last edited:

Louie7

Should I do the trick with the firmware? It can't brick my radio? I
It's not the CPS that's important, the CPS is the software on the Windows. It's the firmware that's important.

To flash the firmware it's another software.

Ask the AliExpress seller for the firmware and also ask for the software to flash the firmware.

You can't brick the MDUV390 but if the firmware I put on doesn't work, the MDUV390 will be blocked, you'll have to reflash with the given firmware by the manufacturer to restart it.

naffMaster

In my country, we have night already. I will ask tomorrow, I bet that you will have some like 4 AM o'clock. ;)

I tried uploading keys even with programming mode, 1+2 key pressed, turn on the radio. Is the firmware good? I mean, S before numbers indicate 10 watts with GPS.

To flash the firmware, do I need another software? This .exe which comes with bunch of firmwares which you gave me isn't enough?

Louie7

To flash the firmware, do I need another software? This .exe which comes with bunch of firmwares which you gave me isn't enough?
Yes, you're right, the soft is included in the.zip : "FirmwareDownloadV3.04_EN.exe"
and you should flash "MD-UV390-10W-AES(GPS-REC).bin" if you have the 10W UV390 PLUS with GPS.

To flash :
Press side key 1 and PTT key AND turn on the radio, the indicator blinks.
Open FirmwareDownloadV3.04_EN.exe and read the file "readme.doc" in the .zip
the screen is BLACK during the firmware flash, only indicator blinks on the UV390.

Last edited:

naffMaster

Right, but how to backup it? Can I backup it with OpenGD77 CPS?

Nevertheless, thank you for help.

Louie7

Right, but how to backup it? Can I backup it with OpenGD77 CPS?

Nevertheless, thank you for help.
you can backup the codeplug (frequencies, channels, zone...) with the CPS.
you can't backup the firmware.
you must have the original firmware from the seller BEFORE flashing, to reflash it if needed.

don't use Opengd77 for now. You have enough problems for now, if the radio doesn't work and the manufacturer sees that you have used Opengd77, it might not want to help you.

naffMaster

I know it, I didn't want to install it, but in 1701 I could do the ROM backup by the CPS that comes with GD77.

I will share anything if I was closer to resolve the issue. Gotta check flash, but first will wait for support and retailer.

naffMaster

So yeah, AFAIK for now, S219.043 needs special, newest CPS, v02.41 version. Can programme up to 256 keys, writing them is slower, but here we have progress bar.

With this version of CPS, AES-256 works perfectly.

Attachments

• CPS MD-UV390 Setup v2.41.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

Louie7

So yeah, AFAIK for now, S219.043 needs special, newest CPS, v02.41 version. Can programme up to 256 keys, writing them is slower, but here we have progress bar.

With this version of CPS, AES-256 works perfectly.
Great! it would have been surprising if your MD UV390 didn't work with AES.
Did the seller also send you firmware S219.043 as a ".bin" file?

KW4MY

Premium Subscriber
Did you enable the AES256 encryption in the software?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Yes, in CPS, Ctrl + Shift + P.

Isn't it against the forum's law?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe the link to the software may be published. I don't know about the legalities of publishing firmware or software in itself.

Anywho, I need the firmware update, also. It is not listed on the TYT download page nor on the TYT888 download page. The firmware may be listed under another model number, however...

Louie7

Yes, in CPS, Ctrl + Shift + P.

Isn't it against the forum's law?
no, since I posted earlier in this topic a link to the firmware S19.119.33 but which is older than yours.

what is forbidden is to post software that is paid, such as Motorola software that you have to buy, so posting it amounts to piracy. TYT firmware is free, there is no piracy to post it.

naffMaster

Louie7 is right.
This is the firmware, that TYT support sent me.

Attachments

• MD-UV390-AES255(GPS-REC)-S219.43.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Junkman2693

Hello, I've recently boutght Tyt MD-UV390 10 watts version with AES256 encryption. It has a "AES256" sticker along with "Plus" in battery chamber, so I guess it's Plus version. AES256 doesn't work, neither do ARC4 and AES128. Enhanced and basic did their job well. Creating keys then changing them don't work.Everyone can hear the voice as if it were not encrypted. CPS v02.34. When trying to download "privacy", it downloads it correctly - name and type of enc is correct, although keys are blurred and protected. Where is the problem? Thanks for any advice.

Disclaimer: in my country, ham radio can use enc.
Did you get these from Buy Two Way Radios - Lowest 2 Way Radio Prices Anywhere! by chance? I am having the same issue with mine. My buddy got ones off of Amazon and they worked without any issues.