Raspberry Pi Broadcastify Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC31

Feed Provider
When you get to that last step typing darkice at the prompt, make note of what it says on the screen.

You will need to shut down your current feed before starting darkice

trauts14

is there a way to adjust noise level or something similar to squelch within darkice? the squelch on my scanner is adjusted so i should not hear static. i am getting frequent, yet mild static. if this is common with RPi and scanner, a bandpass filter should assist?
here is my feed, and example of the static if anyone has suggestions. thank you for any assistance.
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/30159/web

DC31

Feed Provider
is there a way to adjust noise level or something similar to squelch within darkice? the squelch on my scanner is adjusted so i should not hear static. i am getting frequent, yet mild static. if this is common with RPi and scanner, a bandpass filter should assist?
here is my feed, and example of the static if anyone has suggestions. thank you for any assistance.
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/30159/web
Getting audio levels adjusted is a lot of trial and error. Your feed sounds reasonably good.

At the command line tyoe alsamixer and experiment with some of the software volume controls. Toggle AGC on and off. I would try reducing the software volume and maybe increase thd scanner volume.

trauts14

Getting audio levels adjusted is a lot of trial and error. Your feed sounds reasonably good.

At the command line tyoe alsamixer and experiment with some of the software volume controls. Toggle AGC on and off. I would try reducing the software volume and maybe increase thd scanner volume.
Thank you. I will try that.

trauts14

@DC31 i had to relocate my feed setup. the feed is showing as live on broadcastify, yet i am not hearing any ATC as i always do. what does this darkice error mean:
DarkIce: AlsaDspSource.cpp:265: File descriptor in bad state [0]

thank you for any assistance.

trauts14

@DC31 i did the @reboot command. when i power off the RPi, darkice does not auto run. i am assuming i did something wrong. screencap attached. any assistance is appreciated. btw, the screencap was taken while everything was working fine, prior to power cycle.

Attachments

• pic6565.jpg
    pic6565.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 14

DC31

Feed Provider
@DC31 i did the @reboot command. when i power off the RPi, darkice does not auto run. i am assuming i did something wrong. screencap attached. any assistance is appreciated. btw, the screencap was taken while everything was working fine, prior to power cycle.
If you type darkice -c /etc/darkice1.cfg at the command prompt, what message do you get?

trauts14

If you type darkice -c /etc/darkice1.cfg at the command prompt, what message do you get?
here is what i get when i issue the command. it usually does not say buffer overflow on the bottom line. everything works well, just will not auto run on reboot.

Attachments

• pic720.jpg
    pic720.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 13

DC31

Feed Provider
It looks like screen isn’t working. I have seen that on others recently. There are other ways to accomplish autostart but they are not as easy. How often are you rebooting? It should be onlyafter a power failure. Is your power so unreliable that this is a frequent occurence?

trauts14

It looks like screen isn’t working. I have seen that on others recently. There are other ways to accomplish autostart but they are not as easy. How often are you rebooting? It should be onlyafter a power failure. Is your power so unreliable that this is a frequent occurence?
i never reboot. i had to recently since i moved my equipment. it appears i have to keep the terminal window open on my laptop at all times as well. thank you for assisting.

DC31

Feed Provider
Try installing tmux. It works similarly to screen, but I haven’t been successful using it for autostart. Use apt to install it from the command line: sudo apt install tmux

Then check the man page for the various command parameters. tmux(1) - OpenBSD manual pages

This should allow you to free up your laptop anyway.

DC31

Feed Provider
@trauts14 it looks like you are using ssh to access your pi through either Putty or another Terminal type program on a Windows laptop. Yes, the problem is that when the terminal is closed darkice stops.

Did you install the Raspbian Lite OS or one of the Raspbian with Stretch desktop OS on the pi? If you have one of the desktop OS then you should be able to enable VNC and use RealVNC rather than ssh to get into the pi. When you disconnect RVNC the desktop actually stays running on the pi and thus the darkice terminal window on that desktop will stay open. That would also free your laptop.

You can enable vnc from the command line using sudo raspi-config and then finding the interfaces option.

trauts14

@trauts14 it looks like you are using ssh to access your pi through either Putty or another Terminal type program on a Windows laptop. Yes, the problem is that when the terminal is closed darkice stops.

Did you install the Raspbian Lite OS or one of the Raspbian with Stretch desktop OS on the pi? If you have one of the desktop OS then you should be able to enable VNC and use RealVNC rather than ssh to get into the pi. When you disconnect RVNC the desktop actually stays running on the pi and thus the darkice terminal window on that desktop will stay open. That would also free your laptop.

You can enable vnc from the command line using sudo raspi-config and then finding the interfaces option.
Stretch with desktop. I didn't think about vnc, thank you. That will be super easy. Thanks.

blogan52

Premium Subscriber
thank you. i was getting stuck when i entered this command:
pi@raspberrypi:~# alsamixer
i am going to format and try again. i am using a usb soundcard from amazon.

how did you enter the "#" character? for me, the pi command prompt always shows as a "~$" ??

blogan52

Premium Subscriber
Try to run darkice as the super-user. That means you need to go to the # command using sudo bash...then start darkice

Status
Not open for further replies.