RCS NextGen testing thread

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Hearing Escondido Fire Department units last night, all of them sounded like they were transmitting on DIGITAL, and being patched over to the current RCS analog talkgroups. I am currently Wildcard scanning the West site 45 waiting for an Esco response to confirm they are somehow on the NextGen already? I am being annoyed by constant USD Public Safety traffic on the West site.

I am using a standard Motorola 7 inch 7/800 whip on the G5, no modifications to it, no overtightening to get a connection. Identical counterfiet Motochina antenna has a 1-2mm shorter SMA, and doesn't connect with the G5 unless the bottom of the antenna is warped out. Also, the Unications phade out fast and hard around cell towers, just as any old scanner would.

Paul

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Paul,

I haven’t logged any EFD units on the NextGen yet. Just got a G4 and I’m wildcard scanning the West, as well. Vista and Poway USD have been the heaviest users, but the ME and USD Police have been in there, too. Occasionally, County Call is heard.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I did not hear any transmissions either, but still the field units sound like they are transmitting into the sytsem digitally.

On a side note, the West site is soooo weak to the south. I was in north Pacific Beach and was out of range on West while litterally looking a the blinking lights on top of Soledad a few miles to my north. I've yet to find any area where my G5 will so much as register the existance of the NextGen North control channel...N/E is much stronger, and East comes across fairly well in most places.

I have resigned myself that at my base location, the only site I will be able to receive is the South site...so sad. :(

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Paul,

I haven’t logged any EFD units on the NextGen yet. Just got a G4 and I’m wildcard scanning the West, as well. Vista and Poway USD have been the heaviest users, but the ME and USD Police have been in there, too. Occasionally, County Call is heard.

USD Police should be South only; I'll have to check on Monday. SD CoCall / SD CoTac1 are there for the ME units.

That's all who should be there. No planned adds until 9/18.

Don

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
USD Police should be South only; I'll have to check on Monday. SD CoCall / SD CoTac1 are there for the ME units.

That's all who should be there. No planned adds until 9/18.

Don

I heard USD on the West last week, but not over the weekend.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
I may have missed it, but is there a "boundary" map for the new simulcast zones?

No actual map yet. If you take the current North Zone and split it along Highway 78, the new North is north of 78 and the West is between 78 and 52.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I see Poway Fire on the migration schedule...does this mean that they will be switching to NextGen instead of being dispatched by SDFD? I can understand them having Poway Sheriff's channels, but the migration listing for them is confusing me.

I hope everyone is ready...a week away from agencies moving over. :oops:

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I think Poway Fire needs to have its radios updated to be compatible with the rest of the fire systems on RCS.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Well yeah, the RCS radios have apparently all been programmed, this is not a programming schedule, this would be the NextGen MIGRATION schedule, when agencies change the channels on their radio dials to operate on the new system.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
I see Poway Fire on the migration schedule...does this mean that they will be switching to NextGen instead of being dispatched by SDFD? I can understand them having Poway Sheriff's channels, but the migration listing for them is confusing me.

I hope everyone is ready...a week away from agencies moving over. :oops:

Paul

Poway has both City AND RCS radios in their rigs. They will continue to be dispatched by SDFD.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Don, thanks for the info about Poway FD.

Wondering -- once a radio is reprogrammed, does that mean that they are now on the NextGen system and do not have access to the old RCS?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Don, thanks for the info about Poway FD.

Wondering -- once a radio is reprogrammed, does that mean that they are now on the NextGen system and do not have access to the old RCS?

Depends on the radio. Most have been programmed with both the current and NextGen profiles, so all the user has to do is change zones in the radio. About 15% of the radios do not have the room for both systems; those will be programmed with only the new system on the migration date.

Next year (after the whole system id migrated) we will go back and remove the old system information from those radios that still have old network information in them.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
So now we will have NextGen. What are they thinking about for next year? Total waste of time...taxpayer money....etc. In my opinion if it works don't fix it

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If you were a cop you would probably still be putting along in a 1996 Caprice 9C1 :p

CHP is using old radio gear...I hear they have to go to Ham festivals to procure replacement parts.

So now we will have NextGen. What are they thinking about for next year? Total waste of time...taxpayer money....etc. In my opinion if it works don't fix it

Paul