• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

re-entering the CB world... Antenna type & mount, plus new CB?

Which antenna/mount?

• Lil Wil (roof mounted)

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • 3 ft Firestik (hood mounted)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 4 ft Firestik (bed rail mounted, beside topper)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 5 or 6 ft Firestik (rear bumper mounted)

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewire18

I have been out of the CB world for a little over 15 years now and due to the uneasy state of the US and the economy in general, I am getting back in to it. Some quick background, before I get into my question. I live in a pretty populated city south west of Chicago IL. I am mainly looking for 5-10 mile communication (were feasible due to buildings of course) within the city, and obviously longer on the road or trails (again were feasible). Most of my use will either be for safety on the trails, Indiana dunes if you are familiar, and also for a bug-out/survival communication if it comes to that. Yes, I already know HAM is much better, but I am not certified, nor due I have the time or money right now to become certified for it, so please don't suggest that. About 15 years ago, I had a midland cb and a 3ft steel whip on a magnet mount on my vechile and pretty happy with it. However, now I have a RadioShack compact cb, and still the 15 year old steel whip with magnet mount. I have these mounted now, but am looking to get some better. I am looking to try to spend no more than $100 to $150 on a decent CB, and also get a good antenna (no price set yet).

Currently, my next step is the antenna and mounting location. I have a Quad Cab Dodge Ram with a fiberglass cap on it. The truck is already lifted a bit, and has a roof line height off the ground of about 82 inches which is really limiting me. There are MANY areas that I go which have a maximum height of 9.5 to 10 feet. I would like a fairly rugged antenna due to off-roading use.

The two options I am currently looking at are either:
(please stick to experience, i don't want to get a lot of Wilson is best, or buy firestik cuz it's cool)
Thanks in advance...

The lil wil wilson magnetic mount, and mounting it on the roof...

or

A fiberglass unit mounted to front fender from under-hood mount, mounted to the front of the bed via a mount between the topper and the bed, or from a mount on the rear bumper.

Now, the lil wil is straight forward but I am unsure of if I should go with a 3 foot mounted near the hood, a 4 foot mounted from the bed (next to the topper, but about 2 feet about it at the top), or a 5 or 6 foot one from the rear bumper.

I am mainly looking at the firestik for the fiberglass.

The last question, is what should i be looking for in my new CB? Has anything changed in the last 15 years of CB's?

uno1904

Premium Subscriber
I just put a lil wil (32.00 to the door eBay )on my Tacoma and a cobra 25 nightwatch WX I got of eBay for 25.00 plus shipping. And this set up works great and you also get weather. I think cobra and uniden are the way to go. I can't speak for the modern digital display ones but the classic styles are real robust. Just make sure you tune your antenna with a SWR meter and you'll be good.

Sent by passenger pigeon using Tapatalk

sloop

getting back into CB

To answer your question...no nothing drastically has changed with CB's in the last 20 years (other than cosmetics). They are still big, 40 channels, and 5 watts (12 watts SSB). I have a Cobra 25 NWWXST with a 4 foot firestik mounted behind the cab of my pickup. I would suggest that if possible get a CB with weather alert...it really comes in handy when traveling. As far as ham radio expense, it has gone down (and up) over the last several years. You said that you were going to spend $100 to $150 on the radio and them an undetermined amount on the antenna. You can get a 55 watt 2 meter ham radio for $125 and an antenna for about $50 (inc. mount). You will have much better consistent range and more reliable communications than with a CB. Another factor is that the test has been made so easy for the Technician license that anyone can pass it. Also you can do both...a lot of hams have Cb's. I have both in my truck and have equally as much fun on both. Good luck with your decision.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
sun spot cycle 24

Over the next 2-3 years, so comms. during day will be limited to 4 or 500 yards during sun light hours just about every day.

oft

Premium Subscriber
Since you stated you have a Dodge Ram truck (you didn't tell me the year), I would go with the hood mount. I helped a buddy who had a 2002 Dodge Ram put a CB in and after exploring all the options he had, we ended up deciding that the hood mount was the way to go and he ended up ordering this hood mount kit (fits 1994 through 2003 models) from Walcott CB that worked like a champ

Firestik MK184R Dodge Ram/Dakota Hood/fender Antenna Mount Kit

------
On my truck, I have had good luck with the cheap, no frills $40-60 Uniden Pro510XL and a Firestik 4' antenna. I do basic chit-chat and use it alot during the hurricanes because the truckers either need directions to bring in supplies or they tell of the speed traps or blocked/flooded roads

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Here goes nothing...I was in the CB Radio Scene from 1998 to 2009 so I was around for awhile...For the best antenna/signal results check in to a antenna called Predator 10k mobile antenna based out of Texas. I use to run one of these antennas for a year before I made the switched to a antenna called ''55'' based out of Florida. Always good to have a antenna that will work really well with no problems whats so ever.

Predator 10K CB Radio Antennas - Our shop specializes in sales of | PREDATOR 10K ANTENNAS | EXPORT RADIOS | CONNEX 3300 | CONNEX 3300HP | CONNEX 3300 - REBEL | CONNEX 3300 - PATRIOT | CONNEX 3300-GENERAL LEE | CONNEX 4800 | GALAXY 33 | GALAXY 44 | GA

a2phil

You can buy a NIB Galaxy DX 949 (or 959 if you want a freq counter, but you don't really need it) for under $150, but I agree with sloop, the Tech exam is a LOT easier (no code requirements) you can study online, and you can get a complete 2 meter mobile set up (used) for less than $100-150. Plus the fact that there's repeaters just about EVERYWHERE, unless we've just gone through a nuclear war, you should be able to get out MORE than "5 or 10 miles" no matter WHERE you're at...

sdeeter19555

Based on your requirements, your best options would be:

A) buy a Cobra29 on sale (typically less than $80) and have it tuned for best performance (not modified, just made to do what its supposed to do) for about $20, and

B) mount a magnet mount in the middle of the roof. You will have a much better ground plane and better performance all around. If you can, upgrade to the Wilson 1000 or 5000, then you can remove just the load and leave the magnet in place (saves wear and tear on the paint).

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Based on your requirements, your best options would be:

A) buy a Cobra29 on sale (typically less than $80) and have it tuned for best performance (not modified, just made to do what its supposed to do) for about $20, and

B) mount a magnet mount in the middle of the roof. You will have a much better ground plane and better performance all around. If you can, upgrade to the Wilson 1000 or 5000, then you can remove just the load and leave the magnet in place (saves wear and tear on the paint).

I agree..... The Cobra 29 is a proven performer and a Lil Wil mag mount will work fine. The mag mount will give you the ability to move it vehicle to vehicle if needed. You indicated 2 things.... You have NO desire to invest the time in the Ham ticket AND this might be used in a bug out situation but yet people still try to push the ham stuff on you... I don't get it. You were very clear that you didn't want to go that route and I understand. People push that ham has repeaters.... In a bug out situation there may be no commercial power and who knows how long the ham repeater will have back up power. IMO CB will be the way to go in a bug out scene. Almost every survival site mentions CB and I agree.

P.S. YES I'm a ham, NO I don't think it applies as the best case in all situations.

uno1904

Premium Subscriber
I agree..... The Cobra 29 is a proven performer and a Lil Wil mag mount will work fine. The mag mount will give you the ability to move it vehicle to vehicle if needed. You indicated 2 things.... You have NO desire to invest the time in the Ham ticket AND this might be used in a bug out situation but yet people still try to push the ham stuff on you... I don't get it. You were very clear that you didn't want to go that route and I understand. People push that ham has repeaters.... In a bug out situation there may be no commercial power and who knows how long the ham repeater will have back up power. IMO CB will be the way to go in a bug out scene. Almost every survival site mentions CB and I agree.

P.S. YES I'm a ham, NO I don't think it applies as the best case in all situations.

+1😊

Sent by passenger pigeon using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
so comms. so communications

So communciations willl be limited to 4 or 500 yards. Where did this come from? CB exerience during solar cycles in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Then got out of CB for that reason. Oh, I know that long distance comms. can be done, but I'm not a loud mouth to bleat out HI, HI, HI, HI, etc.. all day long. So for local comms., as I stated during daylight hours, the next 3 years might be very poor.

sdeeter19555

So communciations willl be limited to 4 or 500 yards. Where did this come from? CB exerience during solar cycles in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Then got out of CB for that reason. Oh, I know that long distance comms. can be done, but I'm not a loud mouth to bleat out HI, HI, HI, HI, etc.. all day long. So for local comms., as I stated during daylight hours, the next 3 years might be very poor.

I have been into the citizen band thing continuously for the past 30 years or so. While it might get ugly with noise during parts of the day (and that's not even a guarantee with the solar cycles), its typically pin-drop quiet at night. So far I have counted only a handful of days that have even pushed the noise to moderate levels, and that sure didn't limit anyone to hundreds of yards.

Besides, the peak is supposed to happen when, 2013? This solar cycle has been far less intrusive than the last one by a long shot.

k8krh

I would get a GALAXY , they have good audio and power out after tuned within the cb channels, you might try sparkys on the web, I have dealt with him for 15 years all his radios are peaked/tuned...
DOCTOR/795

jhooten

Let me put it this way, at times it is easier for me to talk to either coast than it is to to talk to the guy I can clearly see 300 yards away. And those times are becoming more frequent now. I give him an FRS radio and we can talk with no problems.

Livewire18

Thank you all for the responses, I really appreciate the info, and am re-learning a lot of what I forgot about. Sorry it taking me so long to respond, but I have a delay every time I post due to being new to the site.

The way I see it, is if the solar cycles actually DO cause as much problem as some are saying, I think CB's will be the least of our worries. Which is why I still plan to go the CB route vs. ham.

I am really leaning towards the FireStik on either the hood or the rear bumper.

For everyone out there with a fiberglass antenna on the bumper, do you have problems with it flapping a lot in the wind while driving? I mainly just worried about antenna smacking my fiberglass topper. I am thinking of while on the highway, not the trail. Do they make any thing to secure the antenna so that it flop around as much?

Thanks again for all your help, keep it coming.

sdeeter19555

I am really leaning towards the FireStik on either the hood or the rear bumper.

You're likely going to have two issues with this...

First, the Firestick antenna is a poor antenna (its a marketing hype)...would be my last choice for an antenna. I would invest in a Wilson (tunable) fiberglass before a Firestick.

Second, the hood (bad) and bumper (even worse) are less than ideal locations for getting the most out of a CB transmission...parts of the antenna are below the body line leading to a loss of signal in that direction and typically the SWR is higher. Your choice of a magnet mount on the center of the roof is the best choice (of those you posted) and will provide the lowest SWR and best signal transmission (360 degrees).

Keep in mind, the antenna system makes (and breaks) a good setup...you can have the best radio installed, and if the antenna system sucks; you might be able to yell further than the radio will transmit.

Status
Not open for further replies.