• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

re-entering the CB world... Antenna type & mount, plus new CB?

Which antenna/mount?

• Lil Wil (roof mounted)

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • 3 ft Firestik (hood mounted)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 4 ft Firestik (bed rail mounted, beside topper)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 5 or 6 ft Firestik (rear bumper mounted)

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go with a Single side band radio,a little more money but in the long run a better deal to go with,put a 102 inch whip on the back of your truck and go with it.

Livewire18

ok. So I have been looking through a TON of new CBs, and have a few questions. I know in the past, the full size (Like the Cobra 25, 29, and Midlands) were always better than the compact units (like uniden and radio shack). Now, if I am going to be getting a separate SWR meter, is it worth taking up the extra space for one of the larger units? My main concern for all of my choices is preferably to get a compact unit as well as one with weather band.

uno1904

Premium Subscriber
Get the cobra 25 WX. I have one it's nice and the built in SWR meter are not as accurate.

Sent by passenger pigeon using Tapatalk

a2phil

I'd try my best to have a separate SWR/power meter...I've never trusted the built in ones on radios...as to your earlier question regarding larger vs smaller radios, I've heard the Galaxy DX 979 is a good smaller sideband radio...about $130-140...the 929 is AM only for about $125...

Last edited:

uno1904

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean the compact built in swr meters are not as accurate or the Cobra 25wx's swr is not accurate?

The compact SWR meters are not as accurate. I don't believe the 25 has a SWR meter. I believe the 29 does though. I would tune the antenna with an external meter and you can use the built in one to check it if you question if your antenna has a problem in the future.

Sent by passenger pigeon using Tapatalk KD0SOK

Ltscw

Premium Subscriber
Running a Cobra 25 or 29 is the way to go if your looking into basic AM as they both perform well. If you're looking into SSB operation, go with a 148gtl if you can find one for a decent price. Either that go with the new Uniden 980 ssb that just came out. I run a Galaxy DX959 myself but the preference is yours.
As for antenna, a k30 or lil wil will be alright for basic short distance communication, but if you want a versatile antenna, go with a Wilson 1000. Those you can get with either a fender mount, magnet mount, or a body mount but that would require drilling a hole in your roof. But either way you do it, they're great antennas. I've had mine for 14+ years and it's been flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.