Reading PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmocoh

Premium Subscriber
Reading seems to have gone digital today. Anyone have any information on this? APCO-25?

kennyblues

483.6625 p-25 nac 944
Just programmed it in to the 996XT as one channel P-25 trunking system looking for radio ID's

Last edited:
Rpd

Went digital...really? I could have sworn I was just listening to them this morning on analog 483.6625. Have they gone 100% digital? This is not good for me as I live in Reading....ugh!!!

So, does this mean that I have to save my pennies and get the GRE-500 instead of the GRE-300???? Another $300 smackers above and beyond the GRE-300 price right....give or take? This sucks!!!

I guess now I know why the All-Comm van was there a few weeks ago......

Last edited:

elmocoh

Premium Subscriber
I've lived in Reading for 35 years and always listened to the police. Currently use a cheap PRO-83 that I paid $60 for! Now I'll have to spend $500 if I want to listen. Which is better, GRE PSR-500 or Uniden BCD396XT?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I heard them om the way in to work tonight. I was on Route 24, just north of Brockton. Signal was pretty good. If you don't require the NAC, and you probably don't need it for Reading, a used 996, 396, or even 296 or 796 would pick up thd digital audio.

Rpd

From what I understand the RS Pro-106 and the GRE-500 are one in the same. I just noticed that RS sells the 106 for $100 less than Scanner Master if my eyes are correct. I have to say I do like the size of the BC396XT.

elmocoh

Premium Subscriber
How about the older PRO-96, would it be suitable to receive digital P-25 signals? Would it require a firmware upgrade or rebanding?

kennyblues

Yes the Pro-96 will work on Reading, There's no need for rebanding for this, I'm not positive that Radio Shack/GRE will support the 96 for rebanding if and when it ever comes to this area. Check out the wiki for radio models that will be supported.

Rpd

When checking out E-Bay it looks like your gonna pay at least $250 for a used Pro-96, so I guess the dilemma is whether or not to buy new ($400 to $500) and have a warranty with a new handheld or go with a used handheld (pay $225 to $275) and have no warranty protection. Hmmmmm......

You folks that have P-25 capability...what handhelds do you have? As I said before I really like the size of Uniden handhelds but the audio seems crisper with the GREs.

elmocoh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all your input regarding P-25 digital. I might check out the PRO-96. If it works, I'll let you know.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I wonder why they went digital? If they wanted to reduce their spectrum usage, they could have just narrowbanded. I dont know of any profound improvements that occur with P25 usage. Emission paremeters for P25 Phase 2 have not been decided on yet AFAIK - it might be TDMA vs the present FDMA. Peter Sz

elmocoh

Premium Subscriber
I also have no idea why they went digital. Perhaps to cut down on the number of listeners - those without digital scanners. But for privacy, they all carry cell phones. So it is a bit of a puzzle.

cja1987

Premium Subscriber
You folks that have P-25 capability...what handhelds do you have? As I said before I really like the size of Uniden handhelds but the audio seems crisper with the GREs.

I've got a PSR-500. Love it, bought it two years back and monitored heavily P25 New Hampshire while living there. Great audio, love the user interface, etc.

The general consensus seems to be the Unidens are far better receivers signal wise; while the GRE's may have a tiny bit better audio. No experience with digital unidens though, i can tell you the analog uniden I have does lock on to analog freqs a few nano seconds faster than does the GRE and also shows a bit stronger signal sometimes.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they went to digital as an experiment. Maybe they have the newest vocoder or DSP or AD software in the radios. Or maybe there is a better profit margin on digital radios vs narrowband radios. Perhaps the batteries last longer on the P25 radios. ???? Peter Sz

Rpd

Maybe they went to digital as an experiment. Maybe they have the newest vocoder or DSP or AD software in the radios. Or maybe there is a better profit margin on digital radios vs narrowband radios. Perhaps the batteries last longer on the P25 radios. ???? Peter Sz

I guess all the above may be true. I can ask one of the guys I know on RPD and see if he has any info.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I read somewhere recently that P25 can be used for synchronized simulcast, but narrowband FM cannot. I dont think this is particularly applicable to Reading. Maybe it is - if you wanted to synchronize a 'in building repeater' with a hilltop repeater. The only big building in Reading that I know of might be the High School or WalMart. Peter Sz

Status
Not open for further replies.