Recommendations for USB Audio Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Hey All,

Looking for some cheap solutions to getting a USB Audio driver so I can host a second feed from the same computer.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ

nick223

Feed Provider
yup use the usb sound cards they are fairly cheap like frazpo said or if you want a better usb sound card get the imic. I had to switch to the imic since the cheaper usb sound card played my digital scanner audio horrible

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Are you aware of the USB Soundcard dongles? Plug n play. $4

I was not aware.....first time I have ever actually looked for an external solution, but I have a second scanner I want to host, so time to figure it out.

I will see what I can find online.

Thanks

nick223

Feed Provider
Look into a raspberry pi with darkice to host your radio reference feeds. Cheap and you don't have to have a dedicated computer always running.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I was thinking of getting one and starting to mess with it. My PC's are getting old. Seems like a bit of configuring but I should be able to figure it out.

DC31

Feed Provider
Last edited:

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I'm going to check this out tonight. I love pie!!! On a serious note my laptops are getting old and take up tons of space.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I have been looking at these via a company on the web. I need to order SD Card, WifI Dongle (in my case) and power supply separately as well? Still, looking at like $60 rather than $700 dollars....

nick223

Feed Provider
Amazon is a great place to go. Id stick with the old model B since the new B+ is having issues using two tone detect if you use that. It might be okay playing darkice which you use for your radio reference feed but all my images use the old OS and run great. If your using a wifi dongle get one with an antenna. Also think about a powered usb hub if you plan on running more then 1 external sound card.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Wound up getting a B+ because someone said go with the 4 port.

I have no idea what I will be doing or how I will be doing it.

I plan on running one feed on this one, and if I get OK with this I will consider adding a feed or perhaps getting a second one and doing more with it.

I have to keep a Windows PC for at least one of the feeds as I use ProScan off of it and that is only Windows, only one other I use Two-Tone Detect on and that is in another part of the house.

It would be nice to have something other than a big laptop under my desk running the feeds, laptops that are aging quickly.

DC31

Feed Provider
Wound up getting a B+ because someone said go with the 4 port.

I have no idea what I will be doing or how I will be doing it.

I plan on running one feed on this one, and if I get OK with this I will consider adding a feed or perhaps getting a second one and doing more with it.

I have to keep a Windows PC for at least one of the feeds as I use ProScan off of it and that is only Windows, only one other I use Two-Tone Detect on and that is in another part of the house.

It would be nice to have something other than a big laptop under my desk running the feeds, laptops that are aging quickly.

Yes, the B+ runs darkice and feeds RadioReference just fine. Actually, I plugged in four usb sound cards and ran four instances of darkice, one for each card and that was just past the limit of what the pi wanted to do. I think that it would run two feeds fine, and possibly three, but four probably wouldn't be successful, at least at this point.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I have one feed up and running w/o issues however I'm not able to get it going to ice cast and stream at home w/o going to feed. Either way I'm happy.
cf35be32645fb002bdb2d288e452b3a5.jpg

To the left is the Panasonic CF-52 running my feed as of this AM. The Pi to the right running my feed now.

DC31

Feed Provider
I have one feed up and running w/o issues however I'm not able to get it going to ice cast and stream at home w/o going to feed. Either way I'm happy.

To the left is the Panasonic CF-52 running my feed as of this AM. The Pi to the right running my feed now.

I put a wattmeter on my equipment one day. Two pi's, two scanners, and an ethernet switch were drawing a whopping 19 w.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.