Recommendations Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Thankyou , alright then yes my scanner (SDS100) receives any and all repeaters I am sure I am operating it with a Omni-x outside antenna 30 feet off the ground can hear a lot , will take your recommendation on a ham radio theYaesu-FT-70D
Thankyou , alright then yes my scanner (SDS100) receives any and all repeaters I am sure I am operating it with a Omni-x outside antenna 30 feet off the ground can hear a lot , will take your recommendation on a ham radio theYaesu-FT-70D
And what is your opinion of the Baofeng BF-F8HP with 8 watts of power compared to the YaesuFT-70DR ???

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If money is not an object, then purchase three or four different models and enjoy any digital mode that maybe in your area, but know that analog is still king. As for digital modes DMR in central California is dead. C4FM took a hit with a repeater site burned in recent fires. P25 is reasonably active as it is linked to other repeaters. Again, that's for my area.

Here are at least four handheld radios I own that I consider to be pretty good. If I could only have one of these three, it would be the Kenwood D74A. The Yaesu would be third and any DMR radio I own would be fourth, as I would save my P25 VHF/UHF handheld second...maybe first.
- Kenwood D74A - D-Star
- Motorola APX7000xe - P25 (Not a typical amateur radio due to cost)
- Yaesu FT3DR - C4FM (Fusion)
- BTech 6X2 - DMR

I was curious about your area, so I pulled some information from the repeater coordinating body website in Florida (FASMA). Please note that some of these repeaters may be listed, but no longer on the air. The info below is from the Coordinated list. There is the Uncoordinated list to consider as well. I am not a fan of the FASMA delimited text file, but with volunteers, you take what you get.

882 analog FM repeaters. Some of these repeaters are mixed mode (digital & analog) noted below. At 882 analog as you can see is king.

Designator = Mode - Quantity of those repeaters
8K10F1E = P25 - 63 (All mixed mode)
9K36F7W = Fusion - 44 (All mixed mode)
6K25F7W = D-Star - 78 (12 mixed mode)
7K60FXE = DMR - 91 (44 mixed mode narrow analog)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The best basic dual band analog handheld over the last few years has been the Yaesu FT-60R. It has listening coverage from 108 to 999MHz (analog only), 1000 memories, good software choices, both free and purchased, and durability. Cost is around $150-$170. If you want DMR, the Btech 6x2 or Anytone (same radio with slightly different features) is a good choice.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
And what is your opinion of the Baofeng BF-F8HP with 8 watts of power compared to the YaesuFT-70DR ???
The Baofeng BF-F8HP will not operate with ANY digital mode and 8 watts in an HT just runs down the battery faster. The Yaesu FT-70DR gets you on not only analog FM, but also the Yaesu digital mode that is being used by the two repeaters closest to you listed in RepeaterBook as follows -
FrequencyOffsetToneCallLocationST/PRUseVOIPDGTLMiDir
Operational status
146.9400-0.6 MHz103.5WA1UTQWildwood, The VillagesFLOPENEY4.55SW
ON-AIR
444.5750+5 MHz91.5WA1UTQWildwood , The VillagesFLOPENWY5.14SW

KO4IPV

If money is not an object, then purchase three or four different models and enjoy any digital mode that maybe in your area, but know that analog is still king. As for digital modes DMR in central California is dead. C4FM took a hit with a repeater site burned in recent fires. P25 is reasonably active as it is linked to other repeaters. Again, that's for my area.

Here are at least four handheld radios I own that I consider to be pretty good. If I could only have one of these three, it would be the Kenwood D74A. The Yaesu would be third and any DMR radio I own would be fourth, as I would save my P25 VHF/UHF handheld second...maybe first.
- Kenwood D74A - D-Star
- Motorola APX7000xe - P25 (Not a typical amateur radio due to cost)
- Yaesu FT3DR - C4FM (Fusion)
- BTech 6X2 - DMR

I was curious about your area, so I pulled some information from the repeater coordinating body website in Florida (FASMA). Please note that some of these repeaters may be listed, but no longer on the air. The info below is from the Coordinated list. There is the Uncoordinated list to consider as well. I am not a fan of the FASMA delimited text file, but with volunteers, you take what you get.

882 analog FM repeaters. Some of these repeaters are mixed mode (digital & analog) noted below. At 882 analog as you can see is king.

Designator = Mode - Quantity of those repeaters
8K10F1E = P25 - 63 (All mixed mode)
9K36F7W = Fusion - 44 (All mixed mode)
6K25F7W = D-Star - 78 (12 mixed mode)
7K60FXE = DMR - 91 (44 mixed mode narrow analog)
Thankyou for taking the time to research that information 73 s to ya

KO4IPV

The Baofeng BF-F8HP will not operate with ANY digital mode and 8 watts in an HT just runs down the battery faster. The Yaesu FT-70DR gets you on not only analog FM, but also the Yaesu digital mode that is being used by the two repeaters closest to you listed in RepeaterBook as follows -
FrequencyOffsetToneCallLocationST/PRUseVOIPDGTLMiDir
Operational status
146.9400-0.6 MHz103.5WA1UTQWildwood, The VillagesFLOPENEY4.55SW
ON-AIR
444.5750+5 MHz91.5WA1UTQWildwood , The VillagesFLOPENWY5.14SW
Great I am am fully convinced of the radio I will select it will be the Yaesu FT-70DR for my first. So much thanks

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I am interested in the Kenwood. Do you own this? And if you do what is your opinion?Again this is great info much appreciated your help.

Sorry the RR notification system didn't alert me to any responses. No I don't own the D74 but have played with it. It seems very nice. I heard that you don't want to buy it for HF/SSB listening but it works great for everything else. I just have a policy against buying expensive ham radios -- you rarely get what you pay for...

The FT-70 is a nice choice -- and it has a keypad -- which I prefer. I actually just picked up a Yaesu FT-3DR on Saturday because its screen is so pretty to look at... and so far, it's been a nice radio. I don't have the 'problems' that others reported with earlier units.

I do miss a genuine keypad though. I never liked touchscreens on ham radios and I still don't. Oh and it's very sensitive to RFI/noise and that makes fiddling with the squelch kind of annoying.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@devicelab What problems have others reported with earlier FT-3DR radios? I have an early unit. Maybe I haven't noticed the issue, or mine may not have any problems.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
@devicelab What problems have others reported with earlier FT-3DR radios? I have an early unit. Maybe I haven't noticed the issue, or mine may not have any problems.

There were several reports (and youtube videos) of units that had 'low' audio output/quality. Someone found out that by removing the lower gasket (with a screw) that it helps with audio output. It does improve mine slightly too but I'd rather keep the gasket. The audio sounds perfectly fine to my picky (and sensitive) ears.

Also some random issues with features that didn't work correctly. Oh and also 'strange' noise coming from speaker during certain operations.

I have heard some minor weirdness with certain features -- like if APRS is active and muted -- hearing something coming thru speaker while sitting on a quiet repeater channel, etc. It was so minor that I didn't bother to investigate it.

Most of the above issues were fixed with the 102 firmware which mine came with it already installed.

PS. I should note that the touchscreen is a bit flakey at times. It's frustrating having to tap and the wrong item gets triggered. Then I have to press a physical BACK button and repeat. After several repeats I want to shoot my radio instead! ;o)

KO4IPV

Sorry the RR notification system didn't alert me to any responses. No I don't own the D74 but have played with it. It seems very nice. I heard that you don't want to buy it for HF/SSB listening but it works great for everything else. I just have a policy against buying expensive ham radios -- you rarely get what you pay for...

The FT-70 is a nice choice -- and it has a keypad -- which I prefer. I actually just picked up a Yaesu FT-3DR on Saturday because its screen is so pretty to look at... and so far, it's been a nice radio. I don't have the 'problems' that others reported with earlier units.

I do miss a genuine keypad though. I never liked touchscreens on ham radios and I still don't. Oh and it's very sensitive to RFI/noise and that makes fiddling with the squelch kind of annoying.
Thanks I have decided to go with the FT-70 appreciate your reply

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Interesting and thank you. Other than the audio fidelity that changes when you open one or all of the sealed ports, I haven't observed those issues. I update the firmware on radios I purchase immediately, so perhaps that is why on the other stuff. As to the audio fidelity with the rubber covered ports, I notice that with other radios like the FT2DR and D74A. I wouldn't say the audio is low, but that's me.

K9DWB

QRT
My 2 cents: understand the limitations of any HT. I have the Yaesu FT3D. It's very nice and does offer some bells and whistles. BUT I am just a bit too far away to hit any repeater without my external vertical on the tripod.

And that 8' external and 9' tripod don't come with belt clips, so portability is non-existent with those connected. I can walk around if the coax wasn't through the window to access it in the bedroom. If not for that, I can walk around for 50', the length of the coax.

It's just the nature of the form factor. If you're close to repeaters, all should go well.

PS if I had it to do over, I'd likely had gotten the ICOM ID-5100 for the car for about $400.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@K9DWB Do you know that you could get a mobile that offers cross band repeat and then you could enjoy your handheld untethered for some distance? I think you know this, but it's worth mentioning. You could then use the mobile in the house with a switching power supply and connect it to the antenna tripod setup you have now. Your handheld will easily reach that setup at home or from anywhere around the block and then some. When at home, you could turn down the power on your FT3DR to it's lowest power setting and save battery life and keep it cool as well.

K9DWB

QRT
thanks for the mention @vagrant, something like that has been rattling around upstairs. I'll make my own thread about that or tag it on my existing. I don't want to be too guilty of hijacking. :cool: :coffee:

RockyBennett

Newby
Great I am am fully convinced of the radio I will select it will be the Yaesu FT-70DR for my first. So much thanks

If you have just a little more money you could buy a Yaesu FT3DR. I just got one and it is very fun and very versatile. I also have a Baofeng BF-F8HP and they compliment each other. Each has different features and capabilities, so it is great to have both.

KO4IPV

If you have just a little more money you could buy a Yaesu FT3DR. I just got one and it is very fun and very versatile. I also have a Baofeng BF-F8HP and they compliment each other. Each has different features and capabilities, so it is great to have both.
Thanks for the reply , I have decided to go with the Yaesu FT70DR and I also have the Baofeng BF-F8HP that I have ben listening in on also, as soon as my license comes in they will both be put to good use

WB9YBM

I know this question has ben asked many times but here goes 1more time: What is the best handheld ham radio available? New to the hobby and would like a radio that is capable of all things possible, money is not a issue just want a radio that I can grow into and as my level of amateur radio expands my radio will be capable.

I agree with "Chief21": a lot of this will depend on your operating style and preferences. Either way, one constant remains the same: the importance of the antenna system. With a poor antenna set-up, even the best radio will have disappointing results.

Status
Not open for further replies.