recommidation for scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick223

Feed Provider
Looking to get a digital scanner i live in LaSalle County so only ISP is digital around here but i do travel alot to the burbs. I been reading about Undiens mobiles and how they have alot of troubles right now in tuning them? Im down for whatever will pick up the best mobiles or portables and if a mobile the best vehicle antenna? Any name brand im all Ears. Thanks

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have been in LaSalle Co with both my Uniden 396XT and GRE500 digital H/H, both decode fine the Digital Starcom depending on how close you are to the towers in the area...Programming both brands is very difficult so i would use software....Check the "Wiki" board for info on these scanners and Mark's Scanners on how to program them with his easy to program manuals...Check this web site for the IL Starcom sites list near you.....

VASCAR2

As for mobile antenna I use an old magnetic mount 800 cell phone antenna. This antenna works good on VHF high band and 800. I also use this same antenna indoors and usually slide the base into the gap between window blind and window frame. The cell phone antenna seems to work a little better than my supplied pull up antenna on my Uniden 996 XT. I programmed a Uniden 396XT for a friend and have also programmed a few of the Radio Shack digital scanners and I like my 996XT the best and I feel like it receives just a little better than the other radios I've programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.