Region of Waterloo Picks Motorola for new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Saw my buddy on the long weekend who is a firefighter in the region. He basically said what mrozitis said. Fire will be encrypted because they cant share details over the air due to online scanners and no MDTs in fire trucks. The low grade encryption is free on radios now though. Will be sad to see the last analog system go in the GTA.

Update I could find:

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalgovernment/resources/af/fa2016-0614.pdf

Last August I talked to one of the people who does or did media relations before that all ended and it's more about the local media than long distance listeners half way around the world, who cares if someone in another part of the world hears a call for a car accident or crime in KW?, the online scanner fear is the same line of BS and "all criminals have scanners" line of BS that is also often used.

That new chief is all about only having the good stuff in the news and nothing else. In Guelph they even encrypted fire dispatch, ended all media relations under his term and there was just no information even on major incidents and the former Guelph newspaper actually did a story on a murder case that went on for weeks with police not saying what happened at the location, area residents also complained as they had no idea.....turned out there was a woman murdered next door.....five weeks later a reporter found out through a court document.

If anyone has any contacts at the local KW media they should let them know that their days of covering breaking news are soon over, they better double down on happy community event stories because that's what it's gonna be like under that police chief and like in Guelph fire will encrypt, the police will run the new system under the organizational changes so all users are encrypted, the radios they are buying and installing fully support it so it won't cost them anything to use the feature.

The fire chiefs have no say, it's now the police system, same thing happened in York region, that police chief hates the media and encrypted and ordered all fire departments to encrypt and transit to encrypt if they want to be on that system.

It's done, look at Toronto, nearly a 100% safe city now that the radios went encrypted, the odd car crash, fire and murder but the daily street crime that affects the ordinary person? gone, chief solved the problem overnight. Cell phone robberies? used to happen at a rate of one every 15 minutes in Toronto, stopped completely when the new radios came to life, Hamilton, Peel, york and Durham? even safer regions than Toronto....completely crime free and the chiefs and politicians love it.....they can start cutting the budgets now.

Can't cut the budget when you have crime on the front page of the newspaper every single day, city council won't allow it. Sure they keep stats but stats don't have the impact as stories in the press.

This has nothing to do with online scanners or criminals listening, now the police control the message, some officers even do their own reports via periscope, complete control of the message and the message is "all is well" and it works, when was the last time you saw breaking news coverage in the Hong Kong media?, they have a lot more media there than here, 100% encryption of everything and not as much as a car accident ever happens in that city.

Last edited:

gary123

Encryption has its pluses and minuses. Like everyone I have my own opinion. The reality of it is we the public have very little to say on what happens. The decision is often political and the politicians listen to what the police,fire and other services say. Encryption has its uses but like any tool it must be used properly.

I do believe that the public has a right to know what publicly funded services are doing either directly or indirectly. My local system has recently been encrypted and once fire finishes their new conversion to encryption I will shut down my scanners. I will become a good sheep and do and believe what ever I am told by those appointed to baaaa baaaaa ba baaaaa.

:(

Last edited:

mciupa

Boomer
Why do we always have to go down the encryption road? :roll:

I hope everyone has said their piece and we can keep an eye (ear) out for any new developments as they occur.

Thanks! :)

SCPD

QRT
Why do we always have to go down the encryption road? :roll:

I hope everyone has said their piece and we can keep an eye (ear) out for any new developments as they occur.

Thanks! :)

I think everyone ends up going down that road because not only is it the end of a hobby for some but it's the end of the media and public knowing anything. In Guelph the news became so boring the local media closed down.

I guess it's a big change from what we are used to and that's part of it as well.

Btw, I can't say too much over the air but various police and fire do monitor these forums and one police service considers me "hacking" their system and one fire department wants to how how I illegally obtained the RFP to the new system, hint: the region posted the documents.

Anyways 73

gary123

mciupa ; You are correct these forums are about monitoring and programming various systems and hardware.The encryption issue is better discussed in other social media environments.

back on topic. If Watreloo region goes to new hardware will it be Motorola APX or are they going to use other manufacturers. The APX line is the only P25 product Motorola now makes and they are not cheap. has anyone hard of what the proposed hard ware is going to be?

SCPD

QRT
mciupa ; You are correct these forums are about monitoring and programming various systems and hardware.The encryption issue is better discussed in other social media environments.

back on topic. If Watreloo region goes to new hardware will it be Motorola APX or are they going to use other manufacturers. The APX line is the only P25 product Motorola now makes and they are not cheap. has anyone hard of what the proposed hard ware is going to be?

As of last August I know all the transit buses has Harris radios installed and they has started some of the police and fire installs. Capital budget is not a problem, operating budget is the problem.

bluwest

Premium Subscriber
Tenders/Contracts:

The following tenders/contracts were approved by Council:

$25,344,374 to Motorola Solutions for the supply, installation and maintenance (15 years) of a voice radio system. The Regional Voice Radio System provides reliable, public-safety grade, two-way voice radio communications for Waterloo Regional Police Service, municipal fire departments, Region of Waterloo departments and various area municipal operations departments. It serves as the primary link between 911 dispatch and Police and Fire personnel.

Lexxx

So, bluwest, what do we know about the latest Motorola system the Region of Waterloo may have purchased?

Will your BCD396T be showing up on Kjiji after the new system is up and running? :p

bluwest

Premium Subscriber
So, bluwest, what do we know about the latest Motorola system the Region of Waterloo may have purchased?

Will your BCD396T be showing up on Kjiji after the new system is up and running? :p

Never needed a BCD396T as it was analogue :) I have my own radios that I use that are EDACS and are far superior in reception than the scanners. That said...yes things will go silent :(

gary123

The 396 is a digital scanner I have one. Many members have lots of equipment. Sometimes I think I have too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.