• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Remember your CB radio call sign?

Jimsterbob

Is someone collecting these responses and making a new database, :)

Mine was KAZT 0146, used around 1976, I think

Interesting to see the wide range of calls here.

Currently I have an Amateur Radio call sign and a GMRS call sign. Just got the GMRS to see how popular it is used in adventuring, off-roading and such (seems to be popular with folks that haven't done the amateur radio method). GMRS and FRS (the so-called bubble pack walkies you can buy at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) share the same frequencies (but with different power outputs and such); and since you just buy your GMRS from the FCC (no test involved, except for figuring out how to navigate their web-site); it seems to be getting more popular. You can even have repeaters.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
King Turkey Charlie Eighty Thirty Nine...Westside and portable.

Papa-Alpha

In The Netherlands we don't have an official cb-radio callsign, but only a self created skipname.
Since the early 70's i am cb radio station Papa Alpha from the Netherlands, operator Harry.
And still the same design QSL-card after all those years.
Unfortunately the use of paper qsl cards is currently nil the last years.
But if you like to swap, just let me now, i sent you mine!

N6IWH

KBUM4085
I hear if you have a (framed) copy of your original license, you are "10-4"!!!

This was at a time when the FCC was stating: "no license required".

Blossom89

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea where the original license ever got off to. I was still living with my parents when I got it so I imagine it was tossed out 30-40 years ago. Likely in one of my several house moves after moving out of my parents home.

w8jfj

Premium Subscriber
My father was 19W3649 in the late 50's to early 60's. Then KBP3745 in the late 60's. My grandfather also had a 19W callsign changing to KLO1639. For the life of me I cannot remember mine. Getting old sucks. Also still have my dad's original Heathkit CB he built.

1635516381915.png

Blossom89

I know what you mean about getting old & forgetful. I came across a photo of an old '71 Chevrolet pickup that I had put a CB into at the time & in the picture I could see much of my call sign in stick on letters on the rear window. Well at least I could clearly see the 3500 & it was enough to jog my memory to remember the "KJN" part. It was taken at a dirt race track in the early 1980's sometime & someone was sitting on the top of the truck & one of their legs was covering the "J". :)

racefan0020

Premium Subscriber
I've said years ago, here on this thread, I not only remember my call sign from 1976, but also STILL have my original license. LOL. To the ones that came onboard later, yea, you used to have a paper license and have it displayed with your radio. It was and is KAKD 8163. Those were the days before 40 channels. Only 23. LOL. Have a good day all. Sign me off as the one Blue Knight.