• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Remember your CB radio call sign?

wa4rjn

Premium Subscriber
CB callsign

My Citizens Band call sign was a little older apparently... it was KGU-1179. It was issued about 1973 in N.C.
K4KID

Linneweh

Premium Subscriber
KFX3379, [1973]. Great fun. Met a lot of good people with CB radio, still keep in touch with some.The local CB clubs; Lucky 13 CB Club, (Ch13), and Ace of Clubs, were nonprofits, and raised money for local charities. Both clubs provided radio communications, (for free,) to the area fund raising walks and runs. We all hand our "Handles". I never knew the real names of some of the CB'ers in the area.
"KFX3379, The Lump, 10-7".

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
KBRY1687 from late 70's. Talk about bring back good old memories. Miss those days. Enjoyed meeting new folks and there setups. Got hooked on the hopped up cb's to go up to triple nickle. My last time on a cb was mid 90's on a yeasu ft840 (hacked of course).

autovon

Ø
I found a CB radio license in some papers from a radio I bought a long time ago. It is KAYT9211 from 1977. Pretty neat.

k4rky

Looking Back to the 60's and 70's

I remember my call signs. My original FCC issue was kxx-3266 and renewed to ktbn-2510. That was a really long time ago!

Dawn

I guess that many forgot or never experienced filling out the imposing old license form that asked for everything excluding a blood sample. I think it was the same form 400 that was used for commercial applications, but you didn't have to fill in things like long/lat ERP, or any of the more technical entries that a land mobile user would have had to. IIRC, the fee before the simplified license form and the price drop which was waived under Jimmy Carter was originally $20 in the early 70's. We also had the 20 foot restriction on the height of the top tip of the antenna over the height of the buiding that was changed to 60' later. Some of the radios of the time had the dial channels marked in color or other markings denoting which were intersystem channels and which you could correspond with other licensees. Nobody ever paid attention to that during my time on the band. Channel 9 was just another channel and not dedicated to emergency traffic. Radios were rated for power input to the final stage rather then 4 watts out. Some really inefficent radios only put out about 2 1/2 watts if aligned under the requirements. Typical was 3.5W out. And Uncle Charlies was always listening and busting.

Those were the days before it became a wasteland.

ic_geeps

I remember a long skinny form on glossy paper that wouldn't take ballpoint pen very well - had to use a Flair pen - which got messy. I filled it out for my dad, (got a postcard type notification back from the FCC if I remember correctly as this was 1977 and I was 11 years old) with the call sign KBDJ2657.