Replacement of main rotary encoder for BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumcajs_tr

Hi, this is probably a question, that only UPMan can answer, but I will try my luck. The main rotary (channel) encoder on my BCD536HP went crazy recently. I must admit, that It was not working completly well during last year, but during last two months, it got even worse. Now when I turn the encoder either way (e.g. in menu), the cursor goes randomly 1-3 steps forward or even backward. It is like over sensitive. Slightly pushing the knob from left or right side during rotation helps a bit, but not much. I think that the encoder is almost dead.
The problem is, that my BCD536HP was ordered from USA to Europe, so there is no known dealer here (Czech republic). I did sent my 436 and 536 scanners to battery clock repair campaign, but even though I asked Uniden in the attached letter to repair also the rotary encoder, it was not repaired (it was probably overlooked by the repair center). As the shipping from here to USA was almost 50 USD, I am not wiĺling to send it again to USA (not to mention my other problems with customs, when the units were returning back from USA).
I am able to get the unit repaired here in my country in one of local radio shops, the problem is that probably nobody will be able to get the original spare part (spare encoder unit). So my question is, whether it is possible to buy the encoder unit directly from Uniden (or any other radio shop in the USA) or whether there is some dealer (known to UPMan), who is able to perform the repair in Czech republic, Europe, who is able to get the proper spare part from Uniden.
Thanks a lot for any help.
Best regards, Ondrej

RFI-EMI-GUY

You might try running the encoder forward and backward many times. I have noticed here in Florida that some older equipment, perhaps due to humidity and not being used frequently, the contacts in similar mechanical encoders get a film of oxide and exhibit the same effect you report.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
My 536HP just developed the exact same problem. Moving the knob one position causes the menu to jump all over the place. Just slightly tapping on the knob can cause fits as well.

RFI-EMI-GUY

These encoders are not optical encoders. Probably just two sets of brass contacts that report direction in the same way an optical encoder would.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In that case, contact cleaner (the type Radio Shack used to sell for cleaning & lubing old-style TV channel selectors) might be helpful.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
My thought too. Home Depot sells similar product. Doesn't take much followed by a few turns if it is a dirty contact.

rumcajs_tr

Hi guys, thanks for the idea about cleaning the contacts, I will try it, but I am afraid, that my rotary encoder really failed. Any ideas about replacement parts?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Maybe check the solder joints where the encoder connects to the mainboard. If it connects via a ribbon cable, perhaps try re-seating the cable connection.

The encoder is not a common off-the-shelf part. If the spray and other things don't work, you'll either need to get it from Uniden, or send the unit to Uniden for repair.

newatthis

Premium Subscriber
Replacement of main rotary encoder for BCD536HP to Canada

My encoder definitely requires a replacement part. Connections are secure but it is clearly loose on the shaft itself which will not be helped by cleaner. In looking at this on other similar mobiles it appears to be a moderately easy hardware replacement.

Is there a process to order the encoder part in Canada rather than shipping the full radio across the nation to Uniden.

thanks

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Mine decided to behave again. Must have had some dirt in it somewhere.

Might want to try Lectron in Peterborough and see if they'll sell you the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.