• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Retevis Rerevis RT27V questions

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Are there Retevis RT27V compatible programming cables? I’ve got a few from RTSystems. Before I buy another I’d like to see if I already have one that works. But I fear plugging in one that doesn’t work may damage the radio.

I understand the RT27V has two transmit power levels… 1/2 watt and 2 watts. Does anyone know what setting I would see right out of the box?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply. I don’t know if the RT85 is another Retivis radio but my guess is it is. I also learned some of the patch cables for the Chinese radios will also work. So I tried one of the many I have from RTSystems (I always get the programming software and patch cable from RTSystems for all my ham gear) and it worked!

So, now that I could “read” how my 5 Retivis RT27V’s were programmed I was able to verify the default power output setting was in fact set to “high”, as you have stated. I also went ahead and assigned DPL codes to channels 1-4, leaving the 5th channel with its default settings.

I have no doubt these RT27V’s will be able to cover the distance between a cottage and the beach, less than 1/2 mile without any obstructions in the way. In fact, I am betting the short stubby antennas I ordered will also make the haul. The idea is to equip 3 male grandkids ranging in age from a first grader to a fifth grader with two-way comms with another radio in an adults possession. Shoulder straps were attached to help prevent the loss of a radio (due to forgetfulness-laying it down and forgetting to pick it back up and as a deterrent to theft). The kids will be receiving instructions to never allow others to hold the radio or remove the shoulder straps and if asked to do so to call for help and get away from whomever it was that approached them.

It’s a way to not only keep an eye on them visually and be able to rein them back in when they get out of earshot range, they can also be a lot of fun when mixed with the imagination powers of 3 young lads!