RF exposure

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like something along the lines of the miracle Radium snake oil cures from the early 20th century. As in something that would be much regretted in the future.
The difference is that Lauris' idea WORKS.

Thanks
Joel

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
OMG !!
What have I done !.... twisting this thread so !
(Laffs)

(Acetone does just fine for polish removal :) )

View attachment 143668

Lauri

But RF is not a harmful chemical (that probably has a warning for something in California), and even when walking on the sidewalk past a nail care place, I can smell the chemicals, I'm surprised workers don't have forced air respirators.

Thanks
Joel

"..........Sounds like something along the lines of the miracle Radium snake oil cures......."

Well, yes --- very much so.
The folly's of youth

_________________________________________________________________________________--

In my feeble defense I must say that we didn't repeat this little, er-- "experiment," ---though it wasn't too unlike medical diathermy.

Diathermy_machine_1933.jpg

Diathemy is not something I think is done much any more, but I have seen old diathemy machines from the 1950's-- they are basically radio transmitters that operated on the ISM frequencies.

Diathermy is radio frequency induced heat used in physical therapy and medicine, and it dates back to the early 20th century. It was quite popular once but it fell out of favor years ago........I wonder why ? :p
( Its still around, however **- but one would wonder, with all this discussion about exposure to high density RF fields that we'd have heard more about it. )

_________________________________________________________________________________

Going back to the folly's of youth... or more like the stupidity of youth--
......Years ago I scarred myself for life seeing what the effects of several drops of glacial acetic acid would do if placed on my left forearm....:rolleyes:

This sort of scientific enquiry is just part of my nature.......... sighs

Oh....and of all the solvents used to remove nail polish, acetone is by far the safest. Its actually a metabolite in normal cellular function, --though don't bathe in it !

Lauri
**What is Diathermy?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I recall a diathermy machine in my high school wood shop. AKA: The Wood Welder. Some sort of glue and then a hand held coil that you pressed down over the two pieces of wood and pulled a trigger. Humming ensued and the glue warmed up and did something or another.
I do recall the machine had a yellowed FCC license on the side of it. Even back then, it interested me, but I can't recall the details.

Spent some time at a LORAN station running > 1 million watts, slept within a 100 yards of the antenna base.

Most interesting experience was getting an MRI and having my wedding band start to vibrate in the eddy currents from the magnetic pulses.

RFI-EMI-GUY

But RF is not a harmful chemical (that probably has a warning for something in California), and even when walking on the sidewalk past a nail care place, I can smell the chemicals, I'm surprised workers don't have forced air respirators.

Thanks
Joel
I was on an airplane and someone 2 seats away was using nail polish remover during the flight. My contact lenses started to react.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Years ago I scarred myself for life seeing what the effects of several drops of glacial acetic acid would do if placed on my left forearm
Back in the "old days", we used acetic acid as a "stop bath" between the developer and fixer for both film and paper. Most of the time we bought it diluted, with a dye indicator added to let us know when it was exhausted. It was diluted even further for use (to about the acidity of weak vinegar). But there were a few times, and for reasons long forgotten, that we used glacial acetic acid* as the starting point. It was really, really nasty stuff to work with--it looked oily when you added it to water to dilute it down to working strength--and smelled like very strong vinegar.

Back in those days, at least where I worked, the darkrooms didn't have good ventilation and our clothes would pick up the characteristic odor of vinegar and film fixer (sodium thiosulfate). But that odeur was masked by the stench of tobacco smoke, since in those days, pretty much everyone smoked (I didn't:().

I'm sooo glad to work with digital imaging today!

*Glacial acetic acid got it's name because it starts to "freeze" (or develop ice-lice crystals) when stored at slightly below average room temperature.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I recall a diathermy machine in my high school wood shop. AKA: The Wood Welder. Some sort of glue and then a hand held coil that you pressed down over the two pieces of wood and pulled a trigger. Humming ensued and the glue warmed up and did something or another.
I do recall the machine had a yellowed FCC license on the side of it. Even back then, it interested me, but I can't recall the details.

Spent some time at a LORAN station running > 1 million watts, slept within a 100 yards of the antenna base.

Most interesting experience was getting an MRI and having my wedding band start to vibrate in the eddy currents from the magnetic pulses.
One of the guys I worked with long ago (to me long at least) worked on LORAN antennas, he said they would work on them while energized and everything was fine as long as you jumped to the ground from a few feet up...

Also.... They let you wear a wedding band in an MRI !!!

(I didn't make this slide, I found it on a web site and it was so good I copied it, it's a warning at some sort of medical school I think)

and yes, non-ferrous metals react to alternating magnetic fields... (I could pick up an aluminum can with a tape de-magnetizer).

Thanks...
Joel

Attachments

• mri hazard.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 12

Cowboys, ever heard of the (drum roll) ... the "Electric Needle?"----
........electro cautery using high frequency radio -- very like the hot tip of a Tesla coil ?

DIY !---Attach a probe to your HF Icom transceiver and remove those nasty actinic keratosis ('sun lesions') from your face !
(just kidding, just kidding !!-- take a deep breath)

(Warning, this video is quite graphic and sensitive people should just move along :) )

Last edited:

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber

Ever heard of the (drum roll) ... the "Electric Needle?"----
........electro cautery using high frequency radio -- very like the hot tip of a Tesla coil ?

DIY !---Attach a probe to your HF Icom transceiver and remove those nasty actinic keratosis ('sun lesions') from your face !
(just kidding, just kidding !!-- take a deep breath)

(Warning, this video is quite graphic and sensitive people should just move along :) )

I only get about 4 seconds of the video, then it cuts off...

Thanks
Joel

nd5y

I used to have to inspect and test those. At the hospital I worked at they called them ESUs. They put out variable power up to about 200 watts or so between 500 kHz to 2 MHz and either a steady carrier or variable pulse frequency and pulse duty cycle. There are different kinds of probes with different shaped tips. The probes and adjustable output allow the surgeon to cut or cauterize different types of tissue with different moisture content in air or wet. The RF return path is an adhesive conductive pad that they usually put on your back or butt.

Last edited:

k6cpo

During my career in the US Navy, my primary job was ship's navigation. This meant I stood watches on the bridge and performed the minute to minute navigation of the ship. During one evening watch, I had a few minutes so I walked out on the wing of the bridge to enjoy the quiet night. The ship had different radio antennas mounted on outriggers around the perimeter of the bridge. While I was standing there, I heard this intermittent buzzing sound; "bzzzt, bzzzzzt, bzzt..." I looked around and there was a bright, white spark about the size of my thumb jumping from the base of one of the antennas to the aluminum superstructure of the ship, about a foot from my arm. I immediately reported it to the Officer of The Deck who jumped on the intercom to the radio room and told them to secure that transmitter immediately. I can just imagine how it would have felt had I gotten my arm in the way of that spark...

Attachments

• 8f448e70-5108-4bc4-99c8-1096ed19bb83-A45763.jpg
    8f448e70-5108-4bc4-99c8-1096ed19bb83-A45763.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One of the guys I worked with long ago (to me long at least) worked on LORAN antennas, he said they would work on them while energized and everything was fine as long as you jumped to the ground from a few feet up...

I was visiting for another reason, not radio related.
The remnants of the station are still there, long since repurposed:

I've heard that it was the procedure also on AM broadcast stations.

Also.... They let you wear a wedding band in an MRI !!!

(I didn't make this slide, I found it on a web site and it was so good I copied it, it's a warning at some sort of medical school I think)

and yes, non-ferrous metals react to alternating magnetic fields... (I could pick up an aluminum can with a tape de-magnetizer).

Thanks...
Joel

I asked about the wedding band, but they said it wasn't an issue, but that I would feel it. Kind of cool to actually feel science in action like that. Reading about it is one thing, having it physically manifest itself on your body is quite the experience.

I was more concerned about some titanium staples I had from a pervious surgery doing the same thing, but I didn't feel them. Probably long since dissolved or otherwise sequestered.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Bad memories. My wife had to get that done outpatient. She wanted me in the room. I was OK with it, doctor was OK with it. Issue was that the doctor had a mask on and was accustomed to the smell of burning flesh. My wife was laying down. I neither had a mask or the option laying down. That was not a pleasant odor.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Bad memories. My wife had to get that done outpatient. She wanted me in the room. I was OK with it, doctor was OK with it. Issue was that the doctor had a mask on and was accustomed to the smell of burning flesh. My wife was laying down. I neither had a mask or the option laying down. That was not a pleasant odor.
Interesting.... It's been said I smell like chicken when burning.
:(

Thanks
Joel

Oh Wow---the smell of cauteriz-ing flesh......

I am familiar with these procedures. The provider (should) have his/her assistant keeps the surgical site clear by retracting as necessary with one hand and suctioning away the smoke etc. using a high-vol evactuator with the other. The procedure for small lesions is, surprisingly, quite painless, (of course a local anaesthetic is used)---
But the most distressing part to all concerned is that sizzling sound of the 'needle' and the odor of burning flesh.
(I am quite familiar with electro-cautery --- my circle is full of doc's.)

I have a nice souvenir of my own-- on my right index finger --when I inadvertently sliced it open, by bringing it too close to an energized high powered HF transmitter's tank circuit**.
It sliced open my finger as cleanly as a gutted fish-- no pain, no bleeding. It had to be sewn up and my hand spinted for a few weeks. Its a nice matching scar to go along with the (stupid) acid burn on my other arm :(

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

** I used to demonstrate the effects of RF in a resonant tank circuit by drawing big, juicy arc's off them with a graphite pencil. Quite a circus stunt, even more so when substituting your finger for the pencil.

Lauri

RFI-EMI-GUY

I really hope we're all wrong about this kind of thing.

Thanks
Joel
Looks like it is already working. You better duck inside and get your tinfoil hat pronto tonto.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it is already working. You better duck inside and get your tinfoil hat pronto tonto.

WND seems pretty reliable.

How does your reliable source of information rate Washington times?

on CNBC (which I actually like a lot)?.

or of the federal register (if you really want to dive a little deeper.

of course they seem to be citing the same original document, and just because it's repeated a lot doesn't make it true.

“If you don’t read the news you are uninformed, if you read the news you are misinformed” - Mark Twain
Thanks

Joel