rg 6 cable pl259 adapter

freqs

Bought a Tram 1411 Discone to mount outside to replace an old Scantenna .
Looking to get some rg6 Coax for it Scanner end I need a BNC the Antenna side I need a pl259 connection.
My question is I have found 50 ft RG6 Quad with 2 BNC ends.
How well would a pl259 adapter work or should I cut off the 1 BNC end and put a new
PL259

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If the BNC connectors are quality and are in good shape, leave them alone and get a BNC to PL259 adapter. Not to mention you're probably going to have a tough time finding a decent quality PL259 connector for 75 ohm RG6 coax. PL259 connectors are already pretty lossy, so using an adapter isn't going to make or break your reception.

freqs

OK thanks for the help .Now should I wrap the adapter with tape or something for corrosion protection or signal loss or not needed

Last edited:

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
The ones you linked to aren't going to do him any good.

As a novice, I have read that PL259 is not recommended because it isn’t sealed as well as N, but only because it isn’t as weather resistant as N.

My Tram 1410 discone has a SO239 connector, so would it be advantageous to get a SO239 to N adapter, and swap out the coax that I have now which has PL259 on both ends? Or should I ditch the Tram and get a Diamond

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
OK thanks for the help .Now should I wrap the adapter with tape or something for corrosion protection or signal loss or not needed
You absolutely need to weatherproof the entire connection between the antenna and coax if you expect it to last and not experience signal degradation from water intrusion. Wrap it all from the base of the antenna to at least 6" down the coax. Preferably you want to use rubber tape or mastic as the first overlapping layer, topped off with an overlapping layer of Super 33+ or Super 88 electrical tape. A few dollars worth of prevention goes a long way.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As a novice, I have read that PL259 is not recommended because it isn’t sealed as well as N, but only because it isn’t as weather resistant as N.

My Tram 1410 discone has a SO239 connector, so would it be advantageous to get a SO239 to N adapter, and swap out the coax that I have now which has PL259 on both ends? Or should I ditch the Tram and get a Diamond
The antenna has a UHF (aka SO239) connector, which is the weakest link in the chain. There's really no point in adding another point of failure with an adapter, just to have N connector on the coax.

Ideally you want the antenna to have a native N female connector, where you can then use good quality coax such as LMR400 with quality N male connectors.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The "UHF" series of connectors, including the PL-259 and SO-239, were essentially designed as a shielded banana plug.
"UHF" back then was a bit more loosely defined as anything above 30MHz. Now, UHF is considered 300-3000MHz.
The UHF connector is fine for VHF and will perform 'well enough' at 460MHz. It's perfectly usable for amateur radio/hobby use. You won't see them quite as often in the professional field. A lot of VHF mobiles will have UHF connectors. Some UHF mobile radios will have them, but usually lower tier radios.

At higher frequencies, like where your discone works, UHF connectors start to get problematic since they do not provide a consistent 50Ω impedance.
Again, not a big deal for hobby use, a bigger issue for LMR/higher power stuff where there's a lot tighter requirements and challenges that come into play.

UHF connectors were never designed to be water resistant or water proof. They were never intended to be used at these higher frequencies.

N, BNC, TNC, SMA, all better choices for this sort of stuff. Not saying you should replace your antenna or coax, it's fine for what you are doing. But, if you do ever replace your discone, spring for the N connector versions.

N connectors do have sealing that makes them water resistant, but no professional radio guy would ever install one outdoors without proper sealing of the connection.

As for connector sealing, this is the generally accepted professional method that has been proven to work well:

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Wow. Thanks for the education. The base of the Tram is inside a 10’ piece of conduit so the connection is shielded from all the elements except humidity. The other end of the coax is connected to a Polyphaser which is inside a weatherproof box right where the coax enters the house.

I am picking up traffic in St. Louis and am about 25 miles away in Collinsville, Illinois. Perhaps when I notice the signal degrading, I’ll switch to the Diamond with N connectors and seal everything according to the telewave method.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wow. Thanks for the education. The base of the Tram is inside a 10’ piece of conduit so the connection is shielded from all the elements except humidity. The other end of the coax is connected to a Polyphaser which is inside a weatherproof box right where the coax enters the house.

I am picking up traffic in St. Louis and am about 25 miles away in Collinsville, Illinois. Perhaps when I notice the signal degrading, I’ll switch to the Diamond with N connectors and seal everything according to the telewave method.

Yeah, sounds like it is working fine. So, unlike my signature, if it ISN'T broke, don't fix it.

But, the coax sealing. Remember, the metal in the connector may stay cold longer in the mornings, damp air can condense inside the connector and accumulate over time. Even with the connector hood on tight, they are not gas proof connections. Might be OK now. Might be OK in 10 years. Might fail next month. Water in the coax is never a good thing.