RoIP - Consumer Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlowe07

Hey there,

Does anyone know of a commercial solution for PTT radio that utilizes Radio over Internet Protocol?

I am thinking this would be a great 'low tech' solution that could allow my kids to be able to talk to their friends in a different city, without the need for a smart phone. Hopefully via Wifi connection at each location..?

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

Ryan

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are a number of solutions out there that will do this. Either stand alone IP radios, like MOTEX mentioned, or apps that will work on a smart phone.

You could get some old smart phones or ipod's and just load the app. Don't activate cellular, or disable it and lock it down.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
The cheapest new solution is probably a pair of $49 Kindle Fires running Skype or a walki-talkie app. Security (safety) may be an issue.
Commercial RoIP products, while more secure, will be more expensive and will be more difficult for most people to configure.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber

Zello is a good option here too. Just don`t have any public channels on it if ya want to let the kids use it, or just set up a private (password protected) channel or get the ZelloWork (paid) version of the app, that one will allow one to have "hidden" channels that aren`t visible to someone doing a channel search, to get to one of these "hidden" channels one must be invited and "joined" to the channel to be able to use it, that may be another option too. N9NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.