RRDB Apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What in the world do you mean? There are quite a few of them most all of them revolve around loading data into something.

Mike

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
think he means something like a Phone or Tablet app to view stuff, they used to be able to view the Forum on Tapatalk which I miss but when they changed to new software that went away, as far as viewing the database, there used to be one for Android but no clue now

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
There may not be a need for an app in the future for the RRDB. There has also been reports that the RRDB site is getting a redesign in the future, which may include an improved mobile friendly "dynamic" browsing experience.

Some portions of the site are already mobile aware, although even they have bugs. A good example of this is the Wiki. If you open it in a mobile device's browser, you will see the experience (especially the "toolbar" at the top of the page) is rearranged for the smaller screen, although it still needs work (it's only partially "touch friendly").

The Forums also works, but again needs some tweaks to make the experience more friendly.

Because of this dynamic resizing via the web interface, more and more companies are opting out of dedicated apps, unless there's a limitation that they can't do in the browser. Developing an app requires dedicated developers for multiple platforms, adding additional expense, along with maintaining the app over time. The web interface just uses the existing web designers to create the dynamic experience in the design.

Want to see a rich dynamic experience, visit your favorite news site in your PC browser and your phone browser, or someplace like Uniden's site, where the experience changes based on the screen size.

I have done some web design (clearly not my day job), so I'm familiar with the basics of how dynamic resizing works.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
There has also been reports that the RRDB site is getting a redesign in the future, which may include an improved mobile friendly "dynamic" browsing experience.
Can you post a link to those reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.