RTL Dongle - how to fix PPM drift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8DVR

You're too late.

My wife has wanted to 'crown' me more than once for all the scanners. ;)

Besides the scanners in my den, I have one in the kitchen, and one in the living room.

She tells me that she doesn't like them, but .....................
She's always saying ................. "Did you hear what just happened on the scanner?"
Sometimes I think she's listening more than I am.

Rich

Yeah... they get that way.....I think my wife actually misses the days I used to fall asleep with a scanner running :)

My nooelec dongles are stable now. Leaving them plugged in 24/7 to "burn in" for a few weeks has them locked in. One is about 2 years old, then other about a month old. They don't seem to deviate at all, even from a cold start.

Voyager

Does anyone know how to write plugins for SDRSharp?

Imaging there was a plug in where any signal centered in the waterfall display (or close), what ever highest point is centered automatically by ppm.

Or something like it.,?

Just saying, it sounds not that hard. And would solve a lot of problems and not having to buy the new rtl stickTCXO controlled.

That would be very bad. If the transmitter is off by much, you could easily end up throwing off the calibration by WAY MORE than the drift.

The OP said the drift was on the order of 68-70. That's only 2 ppm which is within spec even for high end commercial transmitters, so the transmitters could be off by 5 ppm (more than the drift amount) and still be in spec. So, adjusting to a transmitter that may be farther off frequency than the dongle is not a good idea.

All that said, a 2 ppm drift at 500 MHz is only 1 kHz which is well within the bandpass of any signal you might want to decode. If operating at 150 MHz, it represents only 300 Hz drift.

Also note that the resolution of the calibration is only 1 ppm, so at 500 MHz your adjustment is 500 Hz (or 1/2 a kHz) each step. We are not talking about a lot of drift here.

Even the TCXO likely has a 1 ppm drift spec. So, you are saving 1 additional ppm (or 500 Hz at 500 MHz) by upgrading to the TCXO dongle.

Naturally, you don't want your PC sitting in front of the AC or heater outlets or you will experience drift with the hot or cold airflow. But avoiding such locations is just common sense.

All that said, maybe there is a problem with that dongle, as I have about a dozen, and none of them drift even 1 ppm after they have warmed up a minute. And even the warmup is predictable, so I simply wait a minute before using it, and it will be back "on frequency". And that is in a room that tends to drift several degrees throughout the AC or heater cycles. The heat of the dongles act MUCH LIKE a TCXO in that the dongle is usually much warmer than room temperature.

So, in summary, worrying about 2 ppm drift is not much to complain about. I would set that dongle at 69 and call it good, as you will be within the drift spec of the $64 TCXO dongle.

Just saying said:
Like I said "NO need for the new stick"

I'm sure this plug-in would be a good idea..."why not fire up the set up and its ready to go right away" Also mobile setups would benefit from it as well. As the sun would beam on a stick and definitely change the ppm. Good decodes in dsd is imperative to be centered on the signal no matter how much you open up the bandwidth.

Voyager

I just lowered my dongle 4 ppm, and it is decoding a DMR control channel just as well as on-frequency, and that's with a very weak signal (maybe 15 dB above the noise floor). And "just as well" means it's seeing a couple error frames per screen.

1 ppm calibration at 450 MHz is a difference of nearly half a kHz, so the odds of actually being 'centered' are very remote. On average, the closest you can get is 225 kHz (high or low). And SDR# does not allow any better resolution than 1 ppm.

It makes no sense having a dongle that has accuracy better than what you are controlling it with, as you will never realize the additional accuracy. Same can be said for monitoring signals that have a drift that may be HIGHER than your receiver.

And again the OP has a 2 ppm accuracy drift, so upgrading to a 1 ppm accuracy isn't going to buy anything that will equate to a real world difference.

prcguy

A lot of people forget the RTL dongles and clones are digital TV tuners, designed to receive a DVB-T signal about 6MHz wide and frequency stability is not a concern for that. By the use of clever aftermarket software they receive and demodulate amazing things but your stuck with hardware that was not designed for narrow band signals.

I think they are a great item to get started experimenting with SDR and a good stepping stone to something better if you want to continue the SDR journey. With that, don't complain that your $20 or less dongle operating with free software needs a lot of adjustment to stay on frequency. Just be happy it works at all.
prcguy

N0JRD

Premium Subscriber
Im looking to ordered a dongle. Is there one you guys recommend of the others? Where is a good place to get one and do any of them pick up DMR?

reconrider8

i got 3 off of ebay for $10 each. as for your second question none of them receive dmr but they get the raw signal and you can use software to decode this signal.

slicerwizard

All that said, a 2 ppm drift at 500 MHz is only 1 kHz which is well within the bandpass of any signal you might want to decode.
Only 1 kHz! That only puts one quarter of an NXDN4800 signal outside of the bandpass filter. Not a problem at all...

I know, your solution is to just widen the filter. With adjacent NXDN4800 signals at +/-6.25 kHz? I don't think so.

I won't even mention the new trunking systems showing up in the 935-941 band.

1 ppm calibration at 450 MHz is a difference of nearly half a kHz, so the odds of actually being 'centered' are very remote. On average, the closest you can get is 225 kHz (high or low). And SDR# does not allow any better resolution than 1 ppm.
What's stopping a fine tuning plugin from adjusting the tuned frequency by 100 Hz (not kHz) or whatever to get centered on a signal?

Voyager

Only 1 kHz! That only puts one quarter of an NXDN4800 signal outside of the bandpass filter. Not a problem at all...

I know, your solution is to just widen the filter. With adjacent NXDN4800 signals at +/-6.25 kHz? I don't think so.

I won't even mention the new trunking systems showing up in the 935-941 band.

Your comment has no frequency reference, so it is out of context to be accurate. BUT, I was talking about the OVERALL DRIFT of 1 kHz, If you set the ppm in the middle, it will only be +/- 500 Hz at 500 MHz. That is within the tolerance of even the TCXO dongle.

Nobody in their right mind would set the ppm for the worse case scenario - being extreme low or extreme high possible drift.

What's stopping a fine tuning plugin from adjusting the tuned frequency by 100 Hz (not kHz) or whatever to get centered on a signal?

Is there such a plugin? If not, the question is moot.

Again, however, we are talking about drift, not resolution, and even the TCXO has a spec'ed drift of 1 ppm, so a fine tune of 100 Hz steps is like adjusting a trimmer cap with a hammer. You will never realize that 100 Hz accuracy. because the TCXO will drift 10 times that amount.

slicerwizard

Is there such a plugin? If not, the question is moot.
Right - discussion of how a plugin could keep SDR# on frequency is moot because such a plugin does not yet exist. So discussion of any proposed features in any piece of software or hardware is moot, since such features do not yet exist...

Your intellectual dishonesty is deplorable.

Again, however, we are talking about drift, not resolution, and even the TCXO has a spec'ed drift of 1 ppm, so a fine tune of 100 Hz steps is like adjusting a trimmer cap with a hammer. You will never realize that 100 Hz accuracy. because the TCXO will drift 10 times that amount.
I'm not sure what you think you're talking about, but the rest of us are talking about using a DVB-T dongle and staying centered on an RF signal. Your negativity suggests that you believe that goal is unattainable.

So I'll just leave this link here and await your next attempt to dig yourself out of your ever-deepening hole. BTW, in case you can't figure it out for yourself, the DC shift of demodulated CC audio tracks tuning errors. No DC shift = centered on frequency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFkP_y9pGE

Voyager

I'm talking about reasonable expectations. Why have a 100 Hz resolution on a device that will drift 10 times that amount? You will never be able to keep it on frequency. It's as useful as the 1/10th cent piece when everything costs an even amount of cents (except fuel).

Now, if you used an external reference to keep the oscillator on frequency, that might work. That would also make a 100 Hz step useful. But, the dongles don't have provisions for external oscillators.

OK. Saw the video now. I see it's adjusting the ppm error, but I don't see on the video where it is showing how much.

Still, warm-up drift is something other than we have discussed above, and I have said many times that warm-up drift is significant until the unit reaches operating temp. I just let it warm up. After that point I've never seen any drift that would affect decoding. In fact, what Trunk88 is doing you could do yourself with the ppm adjustment. And again, even the TCXO dongle will behave the same way.

Also of note is that you are not putting the dongle on-frequency - you are setting it to the same error as that single transmitter. If you use the dongle on another transmitter, the adjustment may have thrown it farther off than it was when you started.

Still, interesting that Trunk88 can do what it's doing, and useful in place of manual ppm adjustment. Is it tuning in 100 Hz steps or 1 kHz steps? (or something else)

And yes, if a plugin is developed that does the same thing, it will be useful provided it can handle going from a - 1 kHz error TX to a + 1kHz error TX, and won't try to tune adjacent frequency signals. Still, if it can only tune in 1 ppm increments, you will still be off on average half a ppm, or +/- 250 Hz at 500 MHz.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The 28.8 TXCO chips are available on ebay though frequently overpriced. It will save some cash since just about any modded one is grossly overpriced. The chips aren't rare so they can be sourced online with a little effort.

When dealing with very narrow IDAS and trying to grab the collection channel pulses it makes a difference to be spot as much as possible like slicerwizard says. Compensating by any other method than PPM or freq adjustment (<1kHz) is pointless.

Voyager

IDAS spec is 1 ppm. If the real radios can get away with it, why can't the dongles? My dongles don't drift a fraction of that once warmed up (less than a minute in my cases). I don't believe I got lucky over a dozen times with having stable dongles, and others see drift more than 1 ppm.

While SW's mod is nice, and will work for individual transmitters, it won't work for multi-frequency use where each TX may be off from the other 2 ppm or more, and is much like using a sharpie for making lines the width of road lines. IOW, it's way overkill. The video even shows that it's really only useful for the warm-up session or if you throw off the frequency of your dongle.

Still, it is an interesting feature, and is useful for single-frequency use or when wanting to use the dongle when you don't have 2 minutes to wait.

To make it completely useful for multi-frequency use, it would have to track the frequency error of multiple transmitters. (which IS possible, and could be done) Even then, it would have to see the carrier clear enough to determine that TX's exact frequency, then store it for later use. And then how do you keep track of multiple TXs on the same frequency.

I've never had any issues even with IDAS using a stock dongle. Of course, I let them warm up for a minute before use (if they were not plugged in already - such as portable laptop use).

Is that feature available on the latest version of Trunk88 or is it something that is in a demo version only?

slicerwizard

I'm talking about reasonable expectations. Why have a 100 Hz resolution on a device that will drift 10 times that amount? You will never be able to keep it on frequency. It's as useful as the 1/10th cent piece when everything costs an even amount of cents (except fuel).

Now, if you used an external reference to keep the oscillator on frequency, that might work. That would also make a 100 Hz step useful. But, the dongles don't have provisions for external oscillators.
The objective is not to stay on some arbitrary frequency, like [insert some number here], but to stay centered on whatever signal you're trying to receive.

OK. Saw the video now. I see it's adjusting the ppm error, but I don't see on the video where it is showing how much.
From the video description: Dynamic frequency correction (in Hz) is displayed in spectrum window titles.

When the PPM value is set 10 below the correct value, the tuning eventually warps by 8 kHz to get back on center. Dongles drift slowly, so TRUNK88 corrects slowly.

Still, warm-up drift is something other than we have discussed above, and I have said many times that warm-up drift is significant until the unit reaches operating temp. I just let it warm up. After that point I've never seen any drift that would affect decoding.
That generally works for me, but for some users, it doesn't. With a laptop or netbook, I could see where a dongle plugged in near the CPU fan exhaust holes could be affected when the CPU load goes ballistic (hello SDR#...)

Some users have reported that wrapping the entire dongle exterior in foil greatly reduces drift. Not something I'd want to do or have had need to do.

In fact, what Trunk88 is doing you could do yourself with the ppm adjustment. And again, even the TCXO dongle will behave the same way.
Not really. TRUNK88 adjusts in 200 Hz steps, while at 800 MHz, a change of one PPM is over 800 Hz. Adjusting PPM will not center the demodulated audio - it will have a noticeable DC shift.

Also of note is that you are not putting the dongle on-frequency - you are setting it to the same error as that single transmitter.
Which is what you need to do to have your bandpass filter centered on the signal. It's critical when dealing with closely packed NXDN4800 signals (got lots of them here)

If you use the dongle on another transmitter, the adjustment may have thrown it farther off than it was when you started.
When monitoring a single system, like a Moto TRS or a NEXEDGE TRS, I assume that all of the site transmitters are running off of the same reference oscillator, so not an issue. Also, nothing says that a fine tuning system can't maintain a per-channel correction factor to handle off-frequency transmitters. And I've rarely seen such transmitters, so not really much of a concern.

Still, interesting that Trunk88 can do what it's doing, and useful in place of manual ppm adjustment. Is it tuning in 100 Hz steps or 1 kHz steps? (or something else)
If you watch the spectrum window titles, you'll see it's 200 Hz steps. You can see the effects of each step on the CC audio's DC bias.

And yes, if a plugin is developed that does the same thing, it will be useful provided it can handle going from a - 1 kHz error TX to a + 1kHz error TX, and won't try to tune adjacent frequency signals.
+/-1 kHz doesn't sound like enough to cause problems. You'd start only 2 kHz off from the target signal. Any adjacent signal would be considerably farther away, so the centering algorithm will move towards the correct signal.

Still, if it can only tune in 1 ppm increments, you will still be off on average half a ppm, or +/- 250 Hz at 500 MHz.
No need to touch PPM. Just adjust the tuning to get on center. PPM is so ghetto.

Status
Not open for further replies.