RTL-SDR Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatedGore

So I got my RTL-SDR today and ive hooked it all up, got unitrunker and DSD installed. I have gotten everything working. I can hear people talking on the P25 system, buuut I cant hear them practically at all. All i can hear is the turbine sounding thing, I can hear when they talk but its very faint. I tried adjusting the squelch but cant seem to get the static to go away. Im pretty desperate if anyone could help

stranger46

you're on guard
Premium Subscriber
In the receiver window, on the second VCO, the one set to "Voice," the "Mute" box is not checked. Try checking that box and see if it helps.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
It was hard to see all your settings on the video. Try muting the signal and deemphasize the voice. Can you post screen shot of your settings?

ramblin82

Have you considered getting DSDPlus fast lane? You wouldn't have to bother with unitrunker and it can even do trunking with only one sdr dongle.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I like SDRtrunk for P25 system, DSDfastlane works great as well, I just like the interface better on SDRtrunk, but I think DSDfastlane does decode phase 2 systems a little better. I use Unitrunker for my Motorola analog trunk system. It works on the analog.

Can you post the info screen also for the voice and signal.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
How exactly can I get fastlane?
For fast lane you have to pay for it. It is about 20.00 I think with a year of upgrades, 30.00 for lifetime upgrades. You pay VIA PayPal and make sure you give him your email address in the notes. You will be emailed a zip file and a password to unzip it.
There is a free version as well, it is a much wailer version and does work well at all with p25.

ramblin82

For fast lane it's $10 dollars US for one year updates or $25 for unlimited updates.

Last edited:

DatedGore

info.PNG
I like SDRtrunk for P25 system, DSDfastlane works great as well, I just like the interface better on SDRtrunk, but I think DSDfastlane does decode phase 2 systems a little better. I use Unitrunker for my Motorola analog trunk system. It works on the analog.

Can you post the info screen also for the voice and signal.
I could also try the one you suggest

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
What system are you trying to get? Assuming you have a good enough antenna and not trying to pull in a distant signal (just trying to get a local public service) change the squelch setting up on the voice channel until no no longer hear any static, mute the signal channel. You should not hear anything until a voice call comes across. Check the deemphasize check box on the voice, see what that sounds like, also try changing the sample rate, although what you have it at now should work,a couple different settings see what it does.
it is probably best to leave the auto gain checked, but you can uncheck it and try adjusting the gain number see if you can getter voice. What version are you using? What is your RSSI when you receive a voice call? What is you window value when you receive the voice? It should be close to zero.
You might just have to play around with of the settings, and also make sure your antenna is sufficient.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know how well unitrunker will decode a p25, try the SDRtrunk I know that will work, and It is not too difficult, if you fell like spending the 10 bucks get the fast lane as well see which one you like better. I found each one has its advantages and disadvantages.

DatedGore

Im doing the Indiana SAFE-T network, the Miami County one. Since thats the local one. So ive gotten the static gone with the squelch. I can only hear it when people are talking, and the volume of the voices are still very low

Status
Not open for further replies.