RTL-SDR Trunk V3 dropping transmissions

Jv4

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I recently purchased and programmed a RTL-SDR Blog V3 for Pueblo County frequencies. Everything works as normal and I have no issues starting the program. After opening the program the channels broadcast just fine but I notice there is a lot of transmissions that just don't come through. I can hear people talking but it is very obvious every couple of transmissions that a chunk of traffic did not come through and information is being left out. I feel like I have a solid connection but I am the absolute definition of an amateur when it comes to these things and I'm hoping someone has had the same issue and knows how to fix it.

The other issue I was having was when traffic does come through it is quiet on my computer if I don't use a speaker even if it's on max volume, is there a way to turn it up in the program?

Thanks in advance.

Jv4

Premium Subscriber
Are you monitoring the State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State ?

How many RTL-SDR dongles do you have?

Which site(s) are you using from Colorado DTRS system?

What software are you using?
Thank you for the quick response.

Like I said I am not very tech savy but I have 1 dongle (link). I am exclusively monitoring the Pueblo Sheriff channels 1, 2 and tactical channels on SDR trunk (windows 10 x64 version). I have noticed that it is not cutting out mid traffic or conversation, just failing to play it a lot.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
So you are monitoring the conventional channels? Sorry I don’t have any experience using SDR-Trunk for conventional but I’ll throw this out…

Are you sure all the SO traffic is on conventional channels (too)? I would expect the trunked DTRS system is primary, but don't know the area so maybe not.

BinaryMode

I ran out of time editing my post.

You'll want to listen to the DTRS. State of Colorado DTRS TG Category: Pueblo County

Depending on what tower you're near, you program that active control channel. Then the SDR will auto switch to each voice frequency (channel).

Greenhorn Hill: State of Colorado DTRS Site: Greenhorn Hill

12 Mile: State of Colorado DTRS Site: 12 Mile

Pueblo Simulcast: State of Colorado DTRS Site: Pueblo Simulcast

So in the case of Pueblo Simulcast you have four control channels to pick from: 853.1625, 853.4875, 853.700, 853.9875 One of those will be the currently active CC (Control Channel) and that's the one you want to tune to. When you do, the control channel data will get picked up by SDRTrunk and auto switch to the voice channel and back to the CC again.

Now you need to add the talkgroups for Pueblo Sheriff which are unencrypted. And they are: 4271 though 4276. At least the main channels withholding the jail crap. LOL

Go to Playlist Editor | Aliases | Alias

Select New from the right side.

At the bottom chose Add Identifier.

APCO-25 | Talkgroup Range.

Enter 4271-4276

Name the alias Sheriff and the group Sheriff. Select Listen.

Priority 1.

Color what ever you want.

Chose an icon (I like the police car).

----------------------------------------------------

Now create another alias as before but for the talkgroup range enter the following two identifiers for APCO-25 range:

0-4270
4277-65535

Don't turn on listen. (This will be a -1 priority in the default.xml file found under C:\Users\[username]\SDRTrunk\playlist)

Name the alias whatever you want. I chose DELETE.

By doing this you effectively block out all the other talkgroups and will now monitor only talkgroups 4271 though 4276.

If it isn't done like this you will hear anything and everything on that tower that you're monitoring.

Keep in mind the CC can change at anytime, though it's not often.

(I like how road and bridge are encrypted. High level secrecy there by George)...

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4

Jv4

Premium Subscriber
I ran out of time editing my post.

You'll want to listen to the DTRS. State of Colorado DTRS TG Category: Pueblo County

Depending on what tower you're near, you program that active control channel. Then the SDR will auto switch to each voice frequency (channel).

Greenhorn Hill: State of Colorado DTRS Site: Greenhorn Hill

12 Mile: State of Colorado DTRS Site: 12 Mile

Pueblo Simulcast: State of Colorado DTRS Site: Pueblo Simulcast

So in the case of Pueblo Simulcast you have four control channels to pick from: 853.1625, 853.4875, 853.700, 853.9875 One of those will be the currently active CC (Control Channel) and that's the one you want to tune to. When you do, the control channel data will get picked up by SDRTrunk and auto switch to the voice channel and back to the CC again.

Now you need to add the talkgroups for Pueblo Sheriff which are unencrypted. And they are: 4271 though 4276. At least the main channels withholding the jail crap. LOL

Go to Playlist Editor | Aliases | Alias

Select New from the right side.

At the bottom chose Add Identifier.

APCO-25 | Talkgroup Range.

Enter 4271-4276

Name the alias Sheriff and the group Sheriff. Select Listen.

Priority 1.

Color what ever you want.

Chose an icon (I like the police car).

----------------------------------------------------

Now create another alias as before but for the talkgroup range enter the following two identifiers for APCO-25 range:

0-4270
4277-65535

Don't turn on listen. (This will be a -1 priority in the default.xml file found under C:\Users\[username]\SDRTrunk\playlist)

Name the alias whatever you want. I chose DELETE.

By doing this you effectively block out all the other talkgroups and will now monitor only talkgroups 4271 though 4276.

If it isn't done like this you will hear anything and everything on that tower that you're monitoring.

Keep in mind the CC can change at anytime, though it's not often.

(I like how road and bridge are encrypted. High level secrecy there by George)...
Thank you everyone for the replies. I had pueblo simulcast selected when I set up SDR trunk so I have everything set to only listen to 3 specific SO channels. I did create a "Blacklist unknown" alias which tunes everything else out. I did make those changes in the turner, I will update on how well it works but it seems to be doing better.