• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Saber,Can it be any bigger??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknrun

wx4cbh said:
Or find some info on the HT200 (no, I didn't mean the HT220) that was designed in the 60s, had a max of 2 channels, and was used for years by government agencies.

When I got my ham ticket back in high school in the mid-70's one of the local hams had an HT-220. Way out of my budget from an after school job then, but man I thought that was the coolest radio ever made.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wish I still had my ht-90, now that was a radio. I could hammer nails with it and it's output was about 7 watts on VHF...

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
snjct2000 said:
A friend works for a local government agency that uses the Motorola Saber walkie talkie. All I can wonder is what type of dope the radio designers were smoking when they came up with the design of this radio. The thing is huge!! I can't imagine why it has to be so large. I really feel sorry for anyone who has to carry one of these at work. Does Motorola still produce these tons of plastic?

As evidenced by these posts you can see that the Saber series was one of the best portables ever made, Motorola was not smoking dope and there is no need to feel sorry for those of us that have them (myself included) because we prefer to carry one. It is not that heavy, easy to carry and has some of the best RF performance of any portable made.

As to why it's so large: if it wasn't, it'd be in the same class as a Vertex VX-150.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
If you want to know about a REALLY big handheld, the GE M-PA is up there (with the factory battery) hell, you could bludgeon someone to death with that thing!!:lol:

EncryptionMan

I would have to disagree with the orig. poster on this.

I have multiple Motorola radios including XTS 5000's and 2500's and I have to say I still carry my Saber. I have been swapping out Sabers for XTS radios as part of a DHS grant to but I have to say the Sabers coming out of service are staying in our system as part of our emergency cache and going home with individuals as their spare radio. Many users have asked to continue to use the Saber as their primary radio (so their must be something good about them.)

RadioCopFFFR

I think the Saber series rock. I have several in different flavors. I think the Astros are my favorites.They have better audio quality than a lot of other radios. Plus I can get out with my Astro Saber in places that other portables won't work. I hate it that Motorola discountined the series. They are an excellent radio.

commscanaus

The Saber gets my vote for the number 1 portable of it's time!
There are 9 in my collection- from Saber 1's to Saber III's- VHF & UHF. Whilst they don't get much use as a carry radio- they certainly get used in the MVA unit in the car.

Correct me if I am wrong- no other radio back in the late 80's/early 90's offered the RF performance, bandsplit and overall ruggedness that Public Safety demands.
Of course their vintage dictates their size- which is still small considering what is crammed into them and the available feature set. The encryption capable versions are that bit taller to accomodate the required module too don't forget.

I have a Kenwood TK-230 VHF handheld which, when fitted with the Hi-cap battery, leaves the Saber looking quite compact in comparison. Same with a Philips PRP1650 trunked portable- the bricks in my house walls are smaller and lighter!

With regards to the current crop of Moto products- The Waris series is about as small as I like to use. We have MTX960's at work- but I still prefer an MTX838/MTS2000 Jedi as they are MUCH tougher. The Waris fall to bits easily (the PTT escucheon for example).

Long live the Saber I say!

Commscanaus.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'm also a Saber/Astro Saber fanatic. I've had or used EVERY type of radio Motorola has ever made for the public safety market from the HT200 (not a typo) up to the XTS5000, and many other Motorola models NOT made for public safety, AND I've used every major type of radio
made by Ericsson/GE/MA-Com, and the Sabers and Astro Sabers are by FAR the best overall
radios ever made. They may be tall but they're slim and that makes them comfortable to
wear. They've got great audio, both transmitting and receiving, and it's very tough to kill
them. They have FAR outlasted their intended lifespan.

The NTN8818 Li-Ion short battery pack is a wonderful thing to get your hands on. Mini
size, full capacity. It tames the Astro Saber to a very manageable size.

Elroy

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Love the Sabers!

I had a few Saber III portables a while back. Clearly the best audio I have ever heard from a commercial portable. I got rid of them only because my computer died and I had a heard time replacing it. As you all know, you need a SLOWWWW computer to program the radio in DOS mode. I also was not keen on the whole RIB thing. However, looking back, I now wish I had at least one. Awesome radio. Considering the technology of batteries that was around at the time, I say MOTO did right by that radio. You couldnt kill it if you tried!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.