SDS100/SDS200: **SAFETY ALERT** SDS100 battery severely swelled

djeplett

I'm also wondering if this failure might be more common in cases where folks often use the radio plugged in, battery installed, with charging enabled (while powered up).
This is what I was doing when my original battery swelled. I have since charged the battery to somewhere between 3.7 and 3.8V and then I power the radio from the micro USB port instead. When I plan to take the radio somewhere I charge it fully.

AvidHiker

If I recall correctly, there's a setting called "charge while ON", I leave that set to OFF. This ensures that the radio won't be left constantly topping off the charge on a warm battery. My SDS has spent the better part (about 80% of the time) of the past 3 years powered up, with the battery installed, recording local law enforcement. The battery keeps the recordings going through power outages and it occasionally has to be charged up a bit. When I want to add some charge, I just power the radio off for an hour or so, the radio then cools off pretty quickly and I bring the battery back up to 3.8V or so. It's best to check that voltage on a rested battery at room temperature using a DMM, but you can get an idea by simply unplugging the radio and checking the displayed value (which will be a little lower than the rested value due to the load).

djeplett

In my case I have a USB hub that has switchable ports and two separate cables running from that hub; one to the mini USB and one to the micro. If I want to charge the battery I turn on the port that goes to the mini. Otherwise, the port to the micro is on. I trust myself not to turn on the mini port unless I intend to take the radio somewhere soon.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have these batteries in 4 scanners, a Tecsun radio, several flashlights, TX and RX equipment for stage use for my mandolins, musical instrument tuners, and several battery packs. If anyone thinks I'm gonna fill a room with Lipo bags to keep them charged, they're nuttier than a pecan orchard.

Lipo bags are cheaper than rebuilding your home!

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Uniden needs to address this before they get caught up in a huge class action lawsuit!
Didn't they fix the issue in the newer, bigger battery?

EDIT: In reading a few pages backwards on this thread, I see that some are are apparently having an issue with the new battery as well. Not good, not good at all. I really don't get why Uniden can't implement something like the Moto Impress system, where you just charge it and forget about it and it just works...

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I charge the battery thru the external charger. I don’t charge the battery in radio. Buddy of mine charges the battery thru the radio. I have no idea what to do with this battery any ideas.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
EDIT: In reading a few pages backwards on this thread, I see that some are are apparently having an issue with the new battery as well. Not good, not good at all. I really don't get why Uniden can't implement something like the Moto Impress system, where you just charge it and forget about it and it just works...

Yes it looks like the newer bigger batteries also are having the problem which makes them even more dangerous then the smaller ones! Serious scary stuff for sure!

AvidHiker

I've seen numerous swollen batteries from a variety of devices over the past 10-15 years so I wouldn't panic too much, the likelihood of anything serious happening is low so long as you stop using the battery, they're designed to accomodate the gas in the event of failure. Ideally, you should fully discharge a swollen battery, so if you can mange it, that's always helpful.

I'd probably contact Uniden first, but Li-ion battery disposal/recycling services are becoming pretty easy to find around the country these days. I know certain Home Depots accept them (check their website for locations). Local city or county electronics recycling and hazmat services are also pretty common.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I've seen numerous swollen batteries from a variety of devices over the past 10-15 years so I wouldn't panic too much, the likelihood of anything serious happening is low so long as you stop using the battery, they're designed to accomodate the gas in the event of failure. Ideally, you should fully discharge a swollen battery, so if you can mange it, that's always helpful.

I'd probably contact Uniden first, but Li-ion battery disposal/recycling services are becoming pretty easy to find around the country these days. I know certain Home Depots accept them (check their website for locations). Local city or county electronics recycling and hazmat services are also pretty common.
These are not lithium ion batteries. They are lithium ion polymer (i.e. LiPo). Ensure you are using the correct terminology when checking on this. LiPo batteries can cause some significant damage and fire if punctured or handled improperly.

AvidHiker

These are not lithium ion batteries. They are lithium ion polymer (i.e. LiPo). Ensure you are using the correct terminology when checking on this. LiPo batteries can cause some significant damage and fire if punctured or handled improperly.
Uhh, yes they are, my company manufactures a variety of Li-ion battery components and I'm certified to ship batteries and other DG by ground and air. For example, straight from UPS (brown box):
image001.png

As far as handling damaged cells is concerned, they're treated no differently, it's all Li-ion technology, in this case with polymer electrolyte instead of liquid. The basic chemistries (and associated hazards) are the same. In fact, the ubiquitous cylindrical cell, which contains liquid electrolyte, is both more common and potentially more dangerous in the event of failure. Anyway, all this is irrelevant, any facility that handles lithium batteries will be perfectly well equipped to handle LiPO cells.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Uhh, yes they are, my company manufactures a variety of Li-ion battery components and I'm certified to ship batteries and other DG by ground and air. For example, straight from UPS (brown box):
View attachment 109508

As far as handling damaged cells is concerned, they're treated no differently, it's all Li-ion technology, in this case with polymer electrolyte instead of liquid. The basic chemistries (and associated hazards) are the same. In fact, the ubiquitous cylindrical cell, which contains liquid electrolyte, is both more common and potentially more dangerous in the event of failure. Anyway, all this is irrelevant, any facility that handles lithium batteries will be perfectly well equipped to handle LiPO cells.
While I can’t debate the tech, they are LiPo batteries in the 100. I have no idea if the recycling facilities would know all this or not.

bheisner

Premium Subscriber
I recently had to BT-954 batteries swell up.

They were both being charged in an external Uniden desk charger. I generally rotate them out about every other week.

I just noticed that both BT-954 batteries had completely pushed out of their case about 1/4 of an inch.

One of them is only 6 months old (purchased back in May of this year). Is there any way of getting Uniden to replace them?

Each replacement battery runs about $45 on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_9417.jpg
    IMG_9417.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 49

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Amazon has a return policy. So, did you check with them? While it’s a known fact the Uniden LI-ion battery packs are susceptible to swelling, Uniden has stood behind the product and will replace in most cases. The problem hasn’t graduated to the level of explosions and fire starters (at least not that I’ve heard of), it’s always a good practice to recharge using the standalone charger as you have. But convenience dictates using the SDS100 built-in charger is also available, and it’s an approved method of recharging… even though Upman has publicly stated that recharging your batteries outside the radio is the better method for the obvious reasons you’ve experienced. I always use the outboard charger while at home but do use the built-in charger when on the road as a matter of convenience.

Ubbe

My big battery swelled and blew the battery door off the scanner and took the hooks on the battery door clip with it. I instead bought the smaller battery, the smaller size are much more manageable when leaving home, but the loss of the hooks on the clip has to be solved. I maybe have to turn to Jon Wienke to get a reinforced one. Or just put a screw right thru the clip.

/Ubbe

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
So is the moral of the story to USE the batteries and don't "store" them for any length of time?
Are these types of batteries prone to this and if so, is there anything preventative that can be done?
Owner of both the slim and chunky batteries. Both are looking quite normal.

Mine came with instructions not to store the battery fully charged or discharged.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I believe “not charging fully and storing” came from the NTSB/FAA after a cargo plane went down due to a fire caused by a bad LI-ion battery pack. So, an investigation led to adopting safer measures of transporting. And as is true with the larger packs, it is also true for the smaller. But while the similarities between the larger and smaller packs are there, there are also some differences in chemical makeup, manufacturing and packaging. I believe the warnings we get at the consumer level are designed to educate us and keep us safe. You may get a concern at the airport if you are boarding a plane but I’ll leave that research up to you.