San Diego City 700MHz System

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
XT will work on NextGen as long as the talkgroup is Phase 1. On my overnight shift, the only phase 2 traffic I ever receive is all of Escondido FD, a blip once in a blue moon on RSD Disp and RSD Tac 1, other than that, it's a phase 1 system for law and fire for now.

Paul

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
The 996XT also worked on The south site for metro Fire / Heartland Fire also worked on the Escondido/ Carlsbad/ Oceanside North sites .......The 996xt Performs much better on the Next Gen than it did on the SD city’s sites.

Like the OP stated once all the Radios are program for P2 The 996xt will go Silent.
Los Angeles County has a P2 system it’s been online for many months now ......my 996xt Receive’s it just fine ...... It appears its a long process to program everything to P2.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
Whoever is feeding this, It sounds very good. Well done!

Thanks... thats my side project. I am also feeding the SD County NextGen but don't get as good of reception as I do the city system. I am quite happy with the SD700 call ingesting... I think I will add a couple of more recorders but right now I am getting nearly all the interesting traffic and a ton of everything else. Looks like there are a lot of Park Ranger TGIDs that aren't in the DB, I wasn't sure the best way to get those added as so far I haven't heard them refer to a channel name but they are for sure active daily.

Elpablo

Does anyone have any tips to optimize the audio quality on this system with the settings for the SDS100/200? My audio is a bit choppy compared to what I get the for the Nextgen RCS. Thanks in advance.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any tips to optimize the audio quality on this system with the settings for the SDS100/200? My audio is a bit choppy compared to what I get the for the Nextgen RCS. Thanks in advance.

SD City 700 is difficult to receive...even on my APX6000 I have times in the city that I get broken reception...car mounted APX4500 with roof antenna at parked College and Del Cerro last night, even that was coming in broken and slightly digital. It's a weak system, and there are certain frequencies that are more problematic than others. Check your RSSI and error rate and see if you can see certain receive voice frequencies that are ghigher error than others.

Paul

Elpablo

SD City 700 is difficult to receive...even on my APX6000 I have times in the city that I get broken reception...car mounted APX4500 with roof antenna at parked College and Del Cerro last night, even that was coming in broken and slightly digital. It's a weak system, and there are certain frequencies that are more problematic than others. Check your RSSI and error rate and see if you can see certain receive voice frequencies that are ghigher error than others.

Paul
Thanks Paul. Good to know it's not just my settings/location. Must be more than a bit frustrating to have that happening on on your APX radios. I will review my RSSI and error rate for voice freqs to see which have more error than others.

Have they ever hinted at increasing the output power? I imagine the same is happening to the PD/FD APX radios.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I believe Don said the 700MHz spectrum is lower power because they have less congestion to deal with.

If you se a good RSSI, like -50-60dBm, but high error rate, thats a bad frequency. You should be able to gert 0 error with as bad as -105dBm on a good frequency. You can try adding "problem" frequencies once identified to the IFX filter list in the scanner options screen in Sentinel to see if that helps. My IFX list for trouble RCS frequencies di improve reception on them.

Paul

Elpablo

This sounds like interesting analysis project. Thanks for the guidance. Digital is so much different than analog. I am liking the audio output more and more as I get use to it. Never though I would. The RCS NG sounds really good by Mesa College.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Within the RRDB, I believe SDPD NE, SE and NCW are still showing as "future use". Would anyone know of the timing of these dispatch TG's going over to 700?

Thanks!

SDBud

I doubt there is any timetable for their future use. It's mostly about funding for more dispatchers. But WHEN they're in use (special events, hot calls, etc), they are available on both systems.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
I doubt there is any timetable for their future use. It's mostly about funding for more dispatchers. But WHEN they're in use (special events, hot calls, etc), they are available on both systems.

Thanks, Bud! Is the NE Division typically dispatched on the Northern TG?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Within the RRDB, I believe SDPD NE, SE and NCW are still showing as "future use". Would anyone know of the timing of these dispatch TG's going over to 700?

Thanks!

Should already be 700 capable...they are typically used as backup dispatches or tacs when major incidents tie up a main.

Paul

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
cutover date for what? SDPD is already on 700.

for when the 800 system will be turned off. Haven't seen much discussion to know if anything besides PD was fully on 700 and not just part time patching...

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
cutover date for what? SDPD is already on 700.

I would be surprised if they are really 100% transitioned over. I mostly just monitor the 700 MHz system since getting an SDS100, but when checking the 800 MHz system the other day there was still not only PD traffic but even some PD traffic on some of the dispatch 2 talkgroups. That would indicate that one of the radios involved on dispatch 2 was still affiliated on the 800 MHz system (and most of the dispatch 2 traffic is only carried on the 700 MHz system now for that reason).

It’s harder to tell which radio is on which system because you have to listen for the audio quality. Since there isn’t a patch per se and the 700 MHz and 800 MHz systems are actually just two sites on the same P25 core, you will get the same radio ID from the same radio on both systems. This is different than a hard analog to digital patch where all the analog radios would be heard on the patch radio ID, often RID 0.

My $0.02 is that it seems like SDPD was rapidly transitioning to the new system, then there were a lot of complaints about transmissions going “digital” and coverage issues, and the transition process may have slowed down as they work out the bugs. But I could be wrong, and would be happy to hear if anyone has more up to date info. :)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
ABLE went to SIU2 for some Dragnet...the old 800Mhz transferred talkgroup wasn't doing anything, but B2Bh hex was the only other talkgroup on the 700MHz system being used, and encrypted at that. I am assuming B2Bh is the new SIU2.

Paul