San Diego County encryption

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Heard a La Mesa officer ask dispatch to switch to Tac 3, which is encrypted, then back to Disp 1 saying radio issues, and gave a DOB for someone. it would seem LMPD may be using Tac 3 as their encrypted PII talkgroup, leaving main comms unencrypted. #crossingfingers.

Paul

mike619

They need to use Inquiry channel's and tacs as encrypted talkgroups and leave dispatches in the clear.

2wayfreq

Crud! Any word on SDSO? I have some relatives that monitor Vista Dispatch. They just invested in a 996P2. It would SUCK if that changes! I would HOPE its just "Inquiry" and "Tacticals" and not Dispatch!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Pretty consistent encrypted traffic on Coronado PD Tac 1...thinking maybe that is their "CLETS channel"?

BTW, we had a local stringer get hit head-on by a 100MPH wrong way chase on Saturday. The stringer had to be cut out of his FJ Cruiser with the jaws-of-life. He was trying to catchup to a chase in Chula Vista, and was not able to hear it, and didn't know it was coming right at him on the SB I-805. Sounds like his ability to hear the chase was not prohibited by encryption, but regardless, not having situational awareness in dangerous situations can absolutely lead to casualties.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have not heard any clear comms on La Mesa PD Tac 3 or Coronado PD Tac 1, except for a single accidental unit last week giving dispatch the name to run. I think the RRdb can be updated with those talkgroups being tagged as DE. Anyne heard clear comms on those in the daytime? I unlocked my National City, Oceanside, and Carlsbad Inquiry talkgroups to see if they are using those encrypted...perhaps they will go the way of SDPD and La Mesa and only encrypt the CLETS use channel. CVPD and ECPD and EPD all have inquiry channels, but chose to encrypt everything, so when they use the excuse of DOJ mandate, we can be pretty confident that is the "cover story" they arre using?

Paul

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
Oceanside
OPD has been very clearly working hard not to put names and DOBs together over the air the last couple weeks, preferring "I put it in the call". I even heard one the other night where the officer said the name and phonetics, then "date of birth oops I forgot I'll 10-21 in a moment". Hopefully this is a good indication they don't intend to go full time E.

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
ECPD is open again.
As of right this moment, everything I'm seeing on TGID 2301, Escondido Police Dispatch 1 is still capital E. Had it held on the talk group since I saw your post. What talk group are you hearing them in the clear on? (Edit: Or I just realized you might be talking about El Cajon... in which case I feel a little dumb. But I was just down there last Saturday and I wasn't hearing anything from them)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
ECPD still fully encrypted on my end...

Paul

Last edited:

JeremyG760

Premium Subscriber
OPD has been very clearly working hard not to put names and DOBs together over the air the last couple weeks, preferring "I put it in the call". I even heard one the other night where the officer said the name and phonetics, then "date of birth oops I forgot I'll 10-21 in a moment". Hopefully this is a good indication they don't intend to go full time E.
Funny thought about this BTW... Oceanside PD is going to lengths to not link PII together (no names, DOBs, DLs, LPs together), but Sheriffs don't seem to care. Inquiry (2140) has the same calls as always, with all the PII linked together.

SDBud

He was trying to catchup to a chase in Chula Vista, and was not able to hear it, and didn't know it was coming right at him on the SB I-805. Sounds like his ability to hear the chase was not prohibited by encryption,

The problem was the actual incident started on NCPD, and then moved to S Law Cmd when they headed into CV. I was on it from the time they switched to S Law.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like UCSD Police has been encrypted for the last week or so :(

Encryption noted on National City Police Dispatch 2, not sure if they might be using for CLETS?

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
UCSD PD confiormed now to be fully encrypted.

We also lost Harbor PD today, all comms now fully encrypted.

Paul

Mike_G_D

Darn! I found Harbor pretty interesting to listen to! Especially since it gave me a glimps of south county and SD City since I cannot receive those where I am but Port of SD TG's are routinely carried on the North and West RCS sites.

Oh well...!

-Mike