San Francisco Fleet Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
It's coming up, and I'm super excited about the Red Bull air race that's going to take place (in addition to the Blue Angels). Anyone have some fun frequencies to monitor? The various airshow teams would be great - especially the Blues - and I'd also be really interested if anyone knew what frequencies the air race will be using... or where to look.

Thanks!

-Inigo

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
SF Fleetweek frequencies are here:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IFY3Q-...8or6EaGMXIqG9VyLhA/UASD Files/SFFleetWeek.zip

These are confirmed VHF Air frequencies used in the past. They are in BC-246T/UASD format.

Known airshow/show team frequencies are here:
http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IFY3Qy...D396T UASD/1 Airports Airshows/MTAirshows.zip

These are reported UHF/VHF air frequencies for Blue Angels/Thunderbirds/etc. These were taken from here:
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtairshowguide2005.pdf

airforce408

B52HBUFF:

I tried clicking on your first 2 links for SF Fleet Week, but when I click on it, it says Document not found.
Can you advise if the link is good and try to repost again. I am curious to see if you have the Airboss VHF air frequencies used and the SFO Tower Freq. and the Approach and Depature control freqs. for Nor Cal over the area where the jets will be flying.

Thanks!

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
airforce408 said:
B52HBUFF:

I tried clicking on your first 2 links for SF Fleet Week, but when I click on it, it says Document not found.
Can you advise if the link is good and try to repost again. I am curious to see if you have the Airboss VHF air frequencies used and the SFO Tower Freq. and the Approach and Depature control freqs. for Nor Cal over the area where the jets will be flying.

Thanks!

Ok, something funky about YahooGroups!. Those files are in the Bayscan YahooGroups!.

I'll post them here for easier access...

Attachments

• SFFleetWeek.zip
    384 bytes · Views: 53
  • NORCAL_APP.zip
    1 KB · Views: 38

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for coming through on those freqs Buff. :)

As for the other question on Norcal Approach frequencies I'm a student pilot in the north bay so I can answer him on that. The sector names I'm writing mean nothing other than to aid in the geography of their location - the names are used within the facility for override landline calls between controllers and coordination, but each controller is still called "Norcal Approach" or "Norcal Departure" on the air. The same is true for the Oakland Air Route Traffic Control Center, only they use numbered sectors and are called "Oakland Center" on the air.

Downtown San Francisco lies under the "Richmond" sector on 120.9 MHz / 323.2 MHz which primarily controls SFO and OAK departures headed to the NE-E (via the SFO8/Shorline 1/Quiet 2 from SFO & the OAK5/Silent 7 from Oakland), climbing to 15,000. The "Sutro" (after sutro tower) departure sector on 135.10 MHz / 307.20 MHz, starts immediately west of the Marina Green approximately over the Presideo. Since it'd be pointless to have departing pilots switch frequencies so soon, SFO and OAK departures to the South and West (via the PORTE3/Offshore 5 from SFO & the Skyline3/Coast 5 from OAK) climbing to 10,000. SFO arrivals from the Point Reyes VOR (on the golden gate 5 STAR) traverse Sutro's airspace but never talk to them, since they have a fixed pointout with the next sector "Boulder", which is a feeder for SFO approaches who mixes the point reyes guys from the north with those coming from the south near Big Sur as well. All those 747s you see traveling south high over the Golden Gate Bridge (11,000 ft to be exact! Not during the show though :p ) will be talking directly with "Boulder" on 133.95 MHz / 317.60 MHz. Boulder will be mostly sequencing people for rwy 28L at SFO, and working in tandem with "Niles" on 134.5 MHz / 338.2 MHz, the feeder sector for SFO arrivals from the east over the CEDES intersection (for runway 28R). When they have everyone figured out and going in the general direction of rwy 28L and 28R, they hand the airplanes to "Woodside" the SFO final controller, on 135.65 MHz / 125.35 MHz (alternate) / 310.8 MHz, who finally gets everyone's spacing just right and clears them for the approach. Since you asked, they're then handed off to SFO Tower on 120.5 MHz. Finally, to complete the circle, the "Grove" approach sector sits directly below Niles (i.e. Niles controls a box of air high up in the sky between about 6000 - 7000 ft to 15000 ft and they use that space to sequence SFO arrivals, and the Grove controller gets the sky from the surface up to the floor of Niles' sector), and controls Oakland approaches to runway 29. Grove is on 135.4 MHz / 354.1 MHz. North of Grove is Richmond, the SFO/OAK east departure sector I first talked about in this extremely long paragraph... and that, ladies and gentleman, is the majority of the Norcal sectors in the immediate bay area (minus the outlying ones, and they just added even more recently including Vineyard which seems to be replacing ZOA sector 19 on 124.325 (ZOA 19 is 119.475)). Got all that? LOL

I do hope you enjoy!

-Inigo

airforce408

Inigo88:

Thank you for send me such a detailed account of the approach and departure control freqs for the SFO/OAK area. I have an additional question for you, I am wondering if you know any UHF freqs. that were used or are currently assigned for Combat Air Patrols or if you know of any UHF or and VHF NORAD freqs assigned to the bay area when fighters are patroling the bay?

Additionally, if you go to www.bayscan.net , a good webpage I found that has scanner recordings of all types of events. Blue Angeles in SF, U2 out of Beale AFB on Point Reyes radio, Mil Comms on the evening of 9/12/01 over the SF Bay Area.

Some freqs referenced for CAPS on baycan.net are:
282.600 AM
271.000 AM

Thanks!

AirForce408

Status
Not open for further replies.