Scanner Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakem445

I am currenty living here in Arkansas but my job will be taking me to OKC for at least 3 to 4 months for schooling maybe longer. I am just really getting back into the scanning hobby again,thinking about buying a handheld and a base/mobile to carry in the van. I am debating between the 330/396 on my handheld and a 15/996 for the van. Any recommendations you would suggest would be helpful. I think maybe a analog and a digital unit or both digital or both analog not sure what there is to listen to like I said everything was analog there was no digital or trunk tracking scanners when I quit listening. I know I just don't want no radioshack scanners have had better luck with uniden myself last scanner I did have had crystals in it still works but time to update.

Thanks

Blake

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
blakem445 said:
I am currenty living here in Arkansas but my job will be taking me to OKC for at least 3 to 4 months for schooling maybe longer. I am just really getting back into the scanning hobby again,thinking about buying a handheld and a base/mobile to carry in the van. I am debating between the 330/396 on my handheld and a 15/996 for the van. Any recommendations you would suggest would be helpful. I think maybe a analog and a digital unit or both digital or both analog not sure what there is to listen to like I said everything was analog there was no digital or trunk tracking scanners when I quit listening. I know I just don't want no radioshack scanners have had better luck with uniden myself last scanner I did have had crystals in it still works but time to update.

Thanks

Blake
Blake,
The OKC (city) system is, from what I've read, mostly Provoice. There shows to be a few talk groups that are not, but don't set your sights too high on that system. See this in the Oklahoma forum for a few more notes.

The Oklahoma state system, which is, I believe listed as a partnership with the Tulsa system, also has coverage in the OKC area, That's a mixed mode analog & digital system. Looking at the talkgroup modes, it appears that most of the OHP (state police) groups are listed as "A", or 'analog'. You might be able to hold off on the digital until you get back to Arkansas.

The Arkansas AWIN system is a Project 25 Stardard system. The only way to listen to it will be a digital scanner. Since it's a multi-site system, if you can, I'd go with the BCD996T for your van. The BCT-15 would not work forAWIN at all. If you'd rather put a BCT15 in the van, then your handheld will need to be digital if you want to be able to cover AWIN.

The BCD396T (digital handheld) will cover AWIN. However, with a multi-site system, you need to create some duplicate systems to cover them. The BR330T is an excellent non-digital handheld. Excellent sensitivity, flexibility of dynamic memory lets you have multiple trunked systems instead of the maximum of ten like in the older scanners with that many banks. Safetyobc has reviews of the 396, 330, & the BCT15 on his web page. (Matt, hope you don't mind me plugging your page for you here.) I own a 396 & 330. Both do a good job for me. Don't have a BCT15 or a 996, so I can't comment directly on either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.