Scanner/antenna recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreibman

Premium Subscriber
What do you recommend for a hand held scanner to get Northampton/Lehigh County. Currently have radio shack pro 651 and I’m not getting a lot of talk. Was thinking about either buying a new antenna and/or new scanner.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
While still a great radio, Your 651 scanner won't do P25 PH2, something your gonna need/want in the future.
If money isn't an issue go with the most future proof models currently available, able to deal with the popular simulcast systems [LSM] that are so troublesome to decode in modern times (in a scanner)
the top of the line...
SDS100 handheld
SDS200 base/mobile model

the midgrade (not so good for simulcast systems, but can work)
BCD436HP handheld
BCD536HP base/mobile

the entry level Unidens (don't have full DB built in/compatible, not so good for simulcast systems, but can work)
the above mentioned BCD325P2 handheld
BCD996P2 base/mobile

And the various Whistler models too.

Before you buy anything.. I'd do some homework and do a search though this forums' threads for the known issues that can become apparent with specific models, which after purchase folks bring back/report here the problems that come up, buy what you can afford, but be aware...

Here's a link from a similar thread/question that was asked.. some good links in it to follow..

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Northampton County is still UHF analog (I thought PD had gone encypted at some point, guess I'm wrong). Lehigh PD/Fire/EMS is still primarily VHF analog. You shouldn't have any issues picking them up with your 651. Before shelling out the dough for a new radio I'd tune into the local NOAA weather frequency and see if you have a pick up on it to rule out faulty scanner or antenna. If all is well there, check your programming on the other agencies

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
PennDOT/Game Commission (amongst others) are on the new Starnet P25 (PH2) if hearing them is interesting to you, then you'll want a PH2 capable scanner. They can be monitored now, although PennDOT hasn't got radios in your area just yet.. Food for thought..
New System
Old System (not monitorable but has info on the users and they will eventually move to the new one)
No, PSP can't be monitored by any scanner (Encrypted) [The subject always comes up]

If your using the stock antenna on the PRO-651,, Throw it away.. :LOL::cry:
You'd be better served with one of these for any handheld scanner.. New or Old..
They do a fair job on AIR/VHF Hi, excellent on 450-800..

You have surrounding neighbors that are in the process of implementing or already have P25 PH2 systems.
I'd imagine Northampton will too some day.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If your using the stock antenna on the PRO-651,, Throw it away.. :LOL::cry:
You'd be better served with one of these for any handheld scanner.. New or Old..
First two things I do with any radio I acquire: toss the stock rubber duck and disable the annoying key beeps :) Anyone who argues with me that the stock antenna is the best for your radio has never owned a Comet W100RX

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.