Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Are you looking for a replacement for the stock telescoping antenna or and upgrade?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This question is in the wrong forum - I'll ask to have it moved here...

Scanner / Receiver Antennas - The RadioReference.com Forums

Once that scanner has a proper antenna jack, there are a couple of possibilities here. A good mag mount with a Larsen antenna (link below) would do the job, or just throw together a wire version of the Off center fed dipole, link also below..

PulseLarsen NMO-150/450/800 Antenna Mobile Tri-Band Other, NMO150/450/800

Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I agree. The thread in telescopic antenna will limit performance choices. Adding an external antenna jack will open up the possibilities. Moving an external antenna, preferably one designed for the frequencies you want to listen to, closer to a window will help a bunch.

If you are not comfortable doing that modification, then find a replacement. I don't know what the thread is like on the stock antenna, so you might be better off calling Radio Shack/Whistler directly and asking them for a replacement.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
radioshack-desktop-scanner-pro-650-3185fb3944c98aa5904fb72eff6f6bf4.jpg

here is the back of the unit

trp2525

There ya' go then.

This magnetic mount: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmommrbnc-4522.html
This antenna: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050.html

Stick it on a file cabinet, metal shelf, cookie sheet, something to provide a ground plane under the base and plug it into your scanner.
That's work much better than the telescopic antenna.

Another option to try (if you have a window air conditioner with a metal cabinet) would be to put the magnetic antenna mount outside your window in the center of the metal cabinet of your window air conditioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.