Scanner availabilitys

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb8xi

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack has now discontinued the 197Pro scanners, leaving only apparently the Uniden HB-1 available (until the new BCD536HD becomes available in the first quarter of 2014). Uniden likewise has now taken the BCD396/996 off the available list on their Web site, also making the the HB-1 the only Trunk Tracking AP25 available.
The new BCD536HD will retail for $600, not counting taxes and accessories. With GTE/s bankruptcy, Uniden is now the sole producer of APCO25 Radios, and will price apparently accordingly. The BCD536HD is a desk top version of the HB-1. The sensitivity, as I found out, is very poor, and programming it is even worse. It may be that the microprocessor being used is inadequately shielded, and may be causing desense problems,
Interesting times are upon us.

dkf435

Both the BCD 396 and 996 are available at all HRO and AES stores with a good sale price as with other retailers.
I am guessing that Uniden pushed all the stock out to retailers as they probably did not want to get caught with it, Yaesu is famous for delaying models until all the old stuff is sold out of the supply chain

David Kb7uns

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Scanner availabiity

Radio Shack has now discontinued the 197Pro scanners, leaving only apparently the Uniden HB-1 available (until the new BCD536HD becomes available in the first quarter of 2014). Uniden likewise has now taken the BCD396/996 off the available list on their Web site, also making the the HB-1 the only Trunk Tracking AP25 available.
The new BCD536HD will retail for $600, not counting taxes and accessories. With GTE/s bankruptcy, Uniden is now the sole producer of APCO25 Radios, and will price apparently accordingly. The BCD536HD is a desk top version of the HB-1. The sensitivity, as I found out, is very poor, and programming it is even worse. It may be that the microprocessor being used is inadequately shielded, and may be causing desense problems,
It's not HD, it's HP - as in Home Patrol.

It's BCD536HP, not HD.

There is plenty of stock of 396XT/996XT at just about every online source. Even Amazon has them.

It's not GTE, it was GRE. They didn't go bankrupt, they lost their factory in China.

The new radios are hardly a desktop version of the HP, they are quite redesigned and really only share the database feature with the HP, the visual interface and manual programming are closer to the XT radios.

Your opinion of the sensitivity and programming of the HP is your own. Do you have any measurements?

What is your proof that the processor is not shielded well and causing desense?

Before you make sweeping assertions like this, you should get your details right and provide some factual information. Or at least start your post with "my opinion is that..."

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

One of the most misinformed posts I have ever read on Radio Reference.

stingray327

It's not HD, it's HP - as in Home Patrol.

It's BCD536HP, not HD.

There is plenty of stock of 396XT/996XT at just about every online source. Even Amazon has them.

It's not GTE, it was GRE. They didn't go bankrupt, they lost their factory in China.

The new radios are hardly a desktop version of the HP, they are quite redesigned and really only share the database feature with the HP, the visual interface and manual programming are closer to the XT radios.

Your opinion of the sensitivity and programming of the HP is your own. Do you have any measurements?

What is your proof that the processor is not shielded well and causing desense?

Before you make sweeping assertions like this, you should get your details right and provide some factual information. Or at least start your post with "my opinion is that..."

sO then is it true the Home Patrol scanner doesn't have great reception? Aren't both 436HP and 536HP suppose to be better than the Home Patrol scanner?

N8IAA

sO then is it true the Home Patrol scanner doesn't have great reception? Aren't both 436HP and 536HP suppose to be better than the Home Patrol scanner?

So, you keep buying into what some say about the HP-1? I use one in the shack and it works very well for what I monitor.
How can one say if the 436/536 are better? They aren't even in the scannerheads hands yet. Lots of conjecturing going on:lol:
I understand that you are in the market for a new digital scanner, and really don't understand all that goes on with them. So,be patient:)

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.