Scanner Choice for Orange County NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfishracin

I used to monitor Hillsborough PD and the Orange county sheriffs dept on my Uniden Sportcat. I recently got it back out and realized that I could no longer pick them up. I am assuming that they are using a new system so I am in search of a new scanner, which one would you guys recommend? I have been looking at the Uniden Homepatrol, but I am worried that if my local PD is not in the database I wont be able to pick them up. What I have read is that it programs itself and im not sure if you can manually enter frequencies. My wife and I are involved in community watch in our neighborhood and I dont need anything too complicated, just something that will monitor Hillsborough PD, Orange County Sheriff, fire, and EMS.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
You'll need a digital scanner as Orange county switched to VIPER. The HomePatrol would actually be perfect for you.

Take a look here at all of your other options:
Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Yep. Orange County is in the RR.com therefore it is also in the HomePatrol Database as well. I routinely monitor Orange Co Public Safety from my workplace in Durham on my HomePatrol. :)

If you get one and need help getting up and running feel free to contact me and we
will get ya squared away.
Marshall KE4ZNR

kingfishracin

I got my new HomePatrol and I do have a question about it. It is picking up Orange County Sheriffs Dept really good but Hillsborough PD breaks up all the time. I am only about two miles from both Departments. I am assuming that is where they are dispatched from.

td27705

The antenna towers for the radio system can be linked via radio frequencies, often ground wave Microwave transceivers. If Hillsborough PD is experiencing the same reception conditions, the VIPER Tower sites may be adjusted or output power may be increased. The VIPER System in Orange County has several sites, probably three, with unique and separate Control Channels, therefore you might experience better reception of their Talk Groups from the other Tower Sites. The VIPER system has both Analog and Digital Talk Groups..

kingfishracin

I have tried all three sites one at a time and I have the same issue on each one of them. I bought the Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna and im waiting on the SMA to BNC adapter to come in. I will try that before I send the unit back to Uniden but I am not expecting that to solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.