Scanner feed using Rasberry Pi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

Are you trying to eliminate the computer and only use the Pi?
I decode using DSD on a linux laptop and pipe audio to a Pi for a personal feed. Is this similar to what you are wanting or are you trying to use only the Pi?

FatCat46

frazbo,

Thanks, I have that part all working. The DVAP is an RF device, similar to the DVDONGLE which is a VOIP device without RF. I just need to know how to get the streaming to radio reference.

I would like to broadcast the audio coming from the internet via a DVDONGLE (DSTAR audio) out to radio reference using my RPI. But I have no clue how to do it. I have some, limited, familiarity with Linux as I run an ODROID U3 doing DSTAR radio comms. This is basically a VOIP app. I currently do this on a windows machine but want to replace the process with a PI.

Where do I start? I have the PI and the DVDOGLE.

Thanks, Fran (W1FJM)

I am new to Dstar so bare with me here, but I think you will have to use something like Jack Audio JACK Audio Connection Kit|Home to pipe the audio from your DVAP to Darkice. I do not know if there is a precompiled binary that will run on a Pi or if it can be compiled to run a Pi at all.

But Jack or something that does the same thing what you will need.

Worse comes to worse people are giving away the first gen Pi's now. Run your DVAP on a ODROID and connect the speaker to an old Pi set up like any Pi connected to a scanner

FatCat46

not using a DVAP

I am using a dvdongle, the BLUE one. Having to use two PI's seems a little screwy to me. I would think it could be done with one. I just need help on what I need.

Yeah the two-Pi solution was an after thought.

See if you can use Jack as I suggested as you need to pipe the audio from whatever the dongle/Dstar program that outputs the audio you listen to into Icecast for streaming.

I just happen to be messing with a Pi and I did a quick check to see of a pre-compiled binary of Jack was available in the repositories.

None found:

That means you will have to start with the source code available on the Jack Audio site and see if you can compile it on the Pi.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Soo it's been a while, and the Pi2's are out..

My UPS has since died, and I need to make my streamer able to survive prolonged power outages without having to spend huge bucks on a big new UPS (streaming aside, all I need it to do is give my servers 5 minutes to shut down gracefully). I can buy a Yellow Top Optima battery and a charge controller for far less than a big UPS will cost, and convert the critical network components to run on DC, and it will get me a whole lot more runtime than the UPS will.

However I am not versed in Linux at all. I know a few commands, and I can follow directions if they are laid out for me, but don't tell me I have to compile anything.

So A: since I never got an answer before, is there any way to stream with Alpha tags from a Pi yet?

and B: has anyone created a RTG image for a Pi streamer?

chipjumper

The raz devices are very low power. How long do you expect an outage? My power flickers once or twice a day and when I do lose power from a storm, its usually 1-3 days. Since these use a 5V power, consider using it with once of those 11.8A portable powerpacks made for recharging cellphones and such. I see them on newegg and amazon very cheap. Here is a $14 "10,000mAh" (10 amp) powerpack:

Amazon.com: KMASHI 10000mAh MP816 (2.1Amp+1Amp Output,2Amp Input Fast Charging) Dual USB Portable External Extended Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger For iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S 4 iPad Air Retina Mini Samsung Galaxy S5 I9600 Neo S4 I9500 I9190

To avoid fire hazard, put everything in a metal box. Maybe a $10 wall circuit box made for huge breakers. Should have enough room for the raz and the battery.

Wall plug charger adapter --> Battery --> Rasberry Pi

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Yeah I know they're low power, that's why I want to use it. Our power was out today for several hours after lightning struck a pole. We have had many storm related outages that go for hours - and we are in the middle of tornado season.

I already have one of those 10 amp juice packs in my go-bag for my phone - and trust me, they are NOT 10 amps. They are joule thief circuits. The lithium pack inside is 10000mAh at 3.7v. It 'steals' extra current to boost the voltage to 5v.

I already know how I want to do the power part. I don't need any help there. I have a Firebox that I'm going to change over to run on a DC PicoPSU, but that will be drawing about 5 amps at 12vdc. A yellow top battery is 80Ah, which should keep my network online at least until the batteries at the fiber switching center die in about 8 hours.

And lol I have to wonder if you've ever priced large electrical boxes if you think they're $10. Try $100 or more.

chipjumper

I buy the electrical boxes all the time for projects. I always pay around $10 for the ones about half the size of a shoebox to $22 for a large ones via Amazon.com - shop around and you'll find them. Good call on the cheapo-CHICOM batteries. How about this - buy a 12V 7A sealed lead acid battery (VERY common and around $10-15) and also buy a DC-DC converter. Tune it to put out 5V. I bet you'll get a whole day out of that battery for the Raz Pi. I bought a pair of DC-DC converters for about $1 each on eBay.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
dude. you're not hearing me. the pi means nothing without power for the firewall or scanner. i'm not going to waste effort setting up dinky little battery packs for each device. everything will be running off a 12v power supply, switching over to a deep cycle car battery upon power loss. i'm a computer tech with electrician training so i don't need any help with the power. i need to know if there is a preconfigured image that i can plop my credentials into and go - and if this image will do alpha tags. that's it.

i'm a computer tech with electrician training so i don't need any help with the power. i need to know if there is a preconfigured image that i can plop my credentials into and go - and if this image will do alpha tags. that's it.
:confused:

However I am not versed in Linux at all. I know a few commands, and I can follow directions if they are laid out for me, but don't tell me I have to compile anything.
:(

There was an image way back in the thread, but it's probably way outdated by now.

If you really can follow directions, again back in the thread, there are links to a PDF with step by step instruction on compiling Darkice on the Raspberry Pi and setting it up for Broadcastify.

Here is what I used https://stmllr.net/blog/live-mp3-streaming-from-audio-in-with-darkice-and-icecast2-on-raspberry-pi/ Don't worry about setting up Icecast unless you also want to run your own server besides streaming to Broadcastify.

As for alpha tags,I am not even sure if there is a program for Linux that supports Alpha tags. Darkice is a generic audio streamer, it was not made specifically for putting scanners on Broadcastify like the more common Windows programs people run.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider

what, not every tech knows linux, just like not every doctor knows how to treat cancer. i know windows, that's what im certified in, thats what i work on.

As for alpha tags,I am not even sure if there is a program for Linux that supports Alpha tags. Darkice is a generic audio streamer, it was not made specifically for putting scanners on Broadcastify like the more common Windows programs people run.

thank you. i asked months ago and nobody answered. honestly that's a deal killer because i have several agencies on my feed. at this point i'm just going to wait for the windows 10 pi edition to come out.

DC31

Feed Provider
dude. you're not hearing me. the pi means nothing without power for the firewall or scanner. i'm not going to waste effort setting up dinky little battery packs for each device. everything will be running off a 12v power supply, switching over to a deep cycle car battery upon power loss. i'm a computer tech with electrician training so i don't need any help with the power. i need to know if there is a preconfigured image that i can plop my credentials into and go - and if this image will do alpha tags. that's it.

I believe that streaming with tags can be done. I don't use tags because I only use hand-me-down scanners 20+years old. Check out the stream at: LaSalle County Fire and EMS I believe that is a stream from a raspberry pi set up to diplay the alpha tags also. You might contact that feed provider for more information.

As far as the image to do the streaming, that is a piece of cake. I can provide you an image if you tell me which version of the rPi you have.

DC31

Feed Provider

Is this what you are looking for?

http://forums.radioreference.com/st...icecast-scanner-audio-feeds-raspberry-pi.html

It works only with Uniden scanners, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.