Scanner for Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue69

Hello,

I just recently moved here from Virgina. I have decided to get a scanner for listening while at home in the evenings. I have read up on various scanners also know that I can not listen to the OKC Provoice system. What scanner would you recommend for the metro area and surrounding areas of the state. I will make a few trips not many to neighboring states but will be very rare. I have come down to two and hope some of you whom live here can help me out by guiding me in my purchase the two scanners I would like since most of my listening will be from home but also want the ability to take it on the road with me. The two scanners I am leaning toward is the BCT 15 and the BCD 996. I would like to know which way to go hate to get the 15 if digital is heading here but also would hate to spend the extra cash for the 996 and digital still be a long time away. Also how is the sensitivity in the two radios. Any help or insights would be appreciated since I really don't know which way to go.

rescue69

mam1081

Feed Provider
Welcome to the area.

I would recommend the 996 if you do not have any other digital scanners. It is nice to have at least one. The only public-safety type P25 digital in the OKC area is federal right now. The BC15 will probably work fine for now, but it depends on where you plan on travelling. Arkansas, Kansas, and Colorado have 800 MHz P25 trunked systems that they have (or are) implemented (-ing). Texas has several counties that are P25 VHF, and DPS down there is slowly converting to P25. I don't think there is a whole lot of P25 in New Mexico, other than federal. Louisiana is putting in a 700 MHz P25 trunked system (I think it's only in the south so far).

I'm sure either one of them will work fine around here. It all depends on how much you want to listen to when you travel, and where you travel to. There are several of those radios (both the 996 and 15) in the Metro area. We usually have a "dinner-meet" once a month, so some of us can bring them along to show if you would like.

I'm assuming you're in OKC? You a ham operator? You do any scanning in VA?

Once again, welcome to the area.

fireant

Like mam1081 said there is not alot of digital here yet but it surely is coming. I have heard that both are great scanners but cannot say from first hand experience if you don't think you will need digital anytime soon could save some cash and get the BCT 15. Have heard the BCT 15 is more sensitive than the 996 but that was what people on here or stating maybe John or someone here in the area could tell you for sure. I myself am thinking hard about the 996 the money's there just letting it go is the problem.

fireant

rescue69

Mam1081, may try to make one of the meetings soon what do you guys talk about??
I am still up in the air about which way to go had a person at radio shack say the 2055 is a good scanner but I am more of a uniden man myself.

Fireant how do I contact someone locally whom can give me the low down on these two radios who has used them both or at least got to compare them first hand??

Rescue69

mam1081

Feed Provider
Our August meeting should be coming up soon. I'll start a thread on it. We usually meet on the 1st or 2nd Tuesday of the month. This month is a "west" rotation (it should be on the west side of the metro).

rescue69

Ready to order

I am all but ready to order just still in the air any advice not really sure about what would be the best ?? Hope to have either the 15 or the 996 and am going to try to make the meeting as of now my schedule is clear however there is some rumor I maybe going out of town on business. I work on radars so my job involves alot of travel time.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

rescue69

car2back

rescue69 said:
Mam1081, may try to make one of the meetings soon what do you guys talk about??
I am still up in the air about which way to go had a person at radio shack say the 2055 is a good scanner but I am more of a uniden man myself....

Resuce, I have always been a Uniden kinda guy as well (I currently own 2), but PeterJMag has me sold on the GRE radios sold at Radio Shack... they track better, audio quality is better, and they handle the digital radio traffic better. I am planning to purchase a 2055 as soon as I have the cash and know what is going to go down in the re-banding.

rescue69

Mam1081, I did not listen while in Virgina just recently decided to pick back up the hobby.

I really am stuck between the 15 and the 996 may have to get both could buy almost two 15's for the price of one 996 but if digital is coming then don't want to go that route.

I am just stuck on which way to go.

rescue69

Status
Not open for further replies.