Scanner Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

wqzf786

Yeah Maybe But if I could afford it I'd go back home to the Chicago Area.Down here they stop you if you fart the wrong way>

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I live in Pennsylvania my whole life except for 15 years I spent in New York. In New York you just cannot have a scanner in your car but as a newspaper man I always did and it was seen by multiple policeman who never batted an eye.

I'm back in Pennsylvania for about 38 years, it's legal to have a scanner in your car.... period. I bet you if you ask any policeman in my area in Pennsylvania including a chief of police, if it was legal to have a scanner in the car every single one of them will tell you, no way, it's illegal and you can't have it... because that's what they think it should be... but they have no idea what the law really is.

Last edited:

wqzf786

Thank You In Illinois I asked a Police Officer who I knew personally He said Yes They are NOT Illeagl in vehicles in the state You may have one in your car on your person it doesn't matter.I lived in college town Carbondale Illinois where SIU is located I nor my family attended college but we lived there anyway.I took a trip back home to Chicago had my scanner in my car the whole trip 8 hours there ran around chicago and suburbs cops saw and heard my scanner it was summer the windows were down they didn'teven bat an eye but here I was outside my house with a handheld cb and almost went to jail but when they saw it was a cb they let me go

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I live in Pennsylvania my whole life except for 15 years I spent in New York. In New York you just cannot have a scanner in your car but as a newspaper man I always did and it was seen by multiple policeman who never batted an eye.

I'm back in Pennsylvania for about 38 years, it's legal to have a scanner in your car.... period. I bet you if you ask any policeman in my area in Pennsylvania including a chief of police, if it was legal to have a scanner in the car every single one of them will tell you, no way, it's illegal and you can't have it... because that's what they think it should be... but they have no idea what the law really is.
I live in PA as well and have always had a scanner in my vehicle and never had any issues even when I traveled out of state all over the east coast including NY. I am a licensed ham and GMRS operator so my vehicle was always had several antennas. My experience has always been as long as you're not using it for nefarious purposes you'll usually never have an issue.

wqzf786

Well things are different here Tomorrow Friday Here in Tennessee They will be pulling Safety Checks the Tn Highway Patrol will but I'm staying home any way No place to go no money to go with but I guess I won't find out.Besides I don't see what the big deal is anyway The THP went full encryption so did Maury County and Davidson County(Nashville).

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
My vote would be lock this the OP has been given the law with TN Code Numbers and now this is just a rant with no useful Purpose.
I have lived in TN for almost 64 years and have had a scanner in my car 40 48 years been through several THP Roadblocks and Police Roadblocks all of the state never a problem. I travel with 2 to 5 scanners in my car.

wqzf786

My vote would be lock this the OP has been given the law with TN Code Numbers and now this is just a rant with no useful Purpose.
I have lived in TN for almost 64 years and have had a scanner in my car 40 48 years been through several THP Roadblocks and Police Roadblocks all of the state never a problem. I travel with 2 to 5 scanners in my car.
This is not a rant Imearly asked why Ihear about Ham operators being exempt from scanner laws because they have an fcc license and you never hear of gmrs being exempt even though we have an fcc license too.Happy St Patricks day to all

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This is not a rant Imearly asked why Ihear about Ham operators being exempt from scanner laws because they have an fcc license and you never hear of gmrs being exempt even though we have an fcc license too.Happy St Patricks day to all
Given that you keep making the same statements, it's pretty close to a rant.

You've been told where to find TN law.

You've been told how to verify TN law.

You've been told why amateur radio has an exemption in states that have scanner laws but GMRS doesn't.

We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.